Z06 vs Viper for Daily driver......

roadking36

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am new to this board and I am undecided between the purchase of the viper or the Z06. I would like to hear everyones experience and the details of their experience. I would love to hear from the guys that have owned both the z06 and a viper. First off, I have only driven old muscle cars and jeep wranglers for daily drivers, so I am used to bad gas milage and a not so comfortable ride. I could go for the coupe or convertible on the viper if it makes a major difference. I did a search and read a lot of opinions, but didn't really get the answers for what I need. Thanks everyone for all of your help.
Chris

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Most people would take the Z06 due to comfort, electronics, and lack of attention(which can be bad).

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Z06 is a Vette, and will kick a stock Gen 3 Vipers ass i almost every cateragory except exoticness.

BUT, with a few mods, the Viper will stomp the Z and you will get the stares, the thumbs up, and the chicks (if u r single) that no Vette, including the upcoming ZR1 will ever muster.

Remember, there are more Ferraris and Lamborghinis on the road than Vipers. We are a rare, powerful, fast, ****, exotic and unique breed of sports car. America is the most powerful nation on the planet. Vipers are the most powerful American cars ever built.

nuff said.:usa:

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's kind of a general question without more info.. since some live in different environments..

Have you taken either for a test drive?
What part of the continent do you live in (regarding seasonal weather), assuming North America?
Rural or mostly urban city driving?
Daily communting to and from work on the interstates or?
Driving in all weather conditions, rain, etc?
Grocery shopping?
Leaving the car in unnattended parking lots frequently?

It all depends.. the Corvette may be more suited in several respects..

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Z06 is a Vette, and will kick a stock Gen 3 Vipers ass i almost every cateragory except exoticness.

I don't know what your smoking. A vette will kick a vipers ass in almost every category? Even when comparing the 510 hp gen 3 vs the 505 hp vette with less torque also I've seen several car mags that put the vette ahead by a small tick, or the viper ahead in a different test by a small tick. To say the vette will kick a vipers ass in almost every category is absurd. It has 5 more hp and alot more torque, is a v10 compared to a v8, but weighs a bit more. All this and we're not even talking about the 600horsepower vipers that are made now.

I would never buy a vette, as stated in one of the previous threads there have been a million vettes made and 25,000 vipers. Thats 2 vipers for every 100 vettes you will see. For that reason a viper is way better especially when you can buy them 2 years old for half the price.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One major factor on the Viper is depreciation if you put miles on the car. I have 15k on my 2000 and although it is in great shape, can't give it away...too many garage queens & polisher weekenders out there. That being said, I am not that familiar with Z06 prices, but my general sense is that Vettes get driven more and higher mileage is the norm. Of course, if you are buying used, that can work to your advantage...you can pick up a Viper with 30k miles for a song. Esp now with the new 08's coming out, guys are giving their used Vipers away just to make garage space. I wouldn't buy an 08 at MSRP, because of the depreciation history of the car. I use history as the best indicator of the future. Don't buy into all the Polyannic views of the new 08's holding their value better due to the HP, they aren't likely to do so. History says that in a year you can get one for $15k below sticker. The used ones will be in the 60's in no time. Just my 2c.

Last edited:

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have to ask, just get the vette. Otherwise, you'll know if you should daily drive a Viper (like me!).

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vette's have terrible resale values.
So many out there, you can pick your car out of a thousand for sale in the color you are looking for.

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Vette in a parking lot rarely has even a bird poop on it. A Viper in a parking lot is like Mardi Gras.

Dads Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love these threads to help me decide also. My daily driver is a 1500 Hemi Ram. It gets around 14mpg combined highway/city. I drive 100 miles a week. Which ever car I buy used vette or used viper, it would like to drive it to work on nice days. which in KC is about 5 months out of the year. I would not mind putting milage on a vette as much as I would a viper. I am pretty sure the vette would get better gas milage than the viper but I only get 14 right now so thats not an issue. I do have covered, secure parking at work. Viper is my dream car and I totally agree that I see one viper every couple of months compared to a vette which I see almost daily.

I would also get tons more grey hair worrying about someone hitting me in the viper going to and from work on those nice days.

kman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vette for daily driver no doubt. I love my viper but it's a far cry from a daily driver, not even close to a daily driver. No cup holders,no automatic transmission,getting in and out is a little tough,draws a ton of attention, women/girls LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!! If you plan on some kind of professional racing or allot of street racing, both cars are crazy fast and either will suffice.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The viper is a superb daily driver particularly if there is not a lot of stop and go traffic..... i would recommend removing the cross over pipes though ....basically the car is comfortable, easy to drive particularly on the highway... secure parking at work is a bonus as well....even on u're way home there is plenty of room for grocerys between the drivers seat/foot area and trunk...Also if u get up early to work the roads tend to be quieter which is another added bonus....

Now all this is assuming u know that the consequences of having no traction contol on cold tires/roads

If u worried about depreciation then the only choice is ferrari.....and most of those owners put few miles on their cars

488civ10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ViperJon is right, you can find a 2005 Corvette for $30k these days (and owners who were the first to buy C6s when they came out back in late 04 paid $60k ordering them). How's that for depreciation?

To find a Viper at that price, you need to look at a "common" model like a 1994 RT/10. 11 years older and they are the same price? If you want to look at the economic side of ownership, there is no value proposition in Corvettes. Rarity... just over 25,000 Vipers produced in about 17 years. There have been over 100,000 Corvettes produced in the past 3 years.

If you are in decent shape and have a strong left foot, I don't see a problem with the Viper as a daily driver. You will get more joy out of your commute each day to work than a Vette. Complaints about heat... turn on the A/C. If you are really worried about the car getting scratched, etc... have the entire car clear wrapped with 3M. Well, not the side sills though, hahaha.

Lastly, another thing that makes no sense that I have pondered in the past: Some people say if they bought a Viper, they'd be worried about it getting dinged, scratched etc. Why should that apply to used Vipers and used Corvettes, because if you were able to acquire them at a similar price range, what difference does it make? Sure, repairs might be a little higher on the Viper, but that's about it. I think the real reason why one would be more worried about the Viper getting dinged or scratched is because it is a far more AWESOME piece of machinery, to the point of evoking/forming emotions. The owner would feel like they have let the car down if it is damaged. If you look at cars in that way, you have no choice but to GET THE VIPER. You owe it to yourself.

Vette's have terrible resale values.
So many out there, you can pick your car out of a thousand for sale in the color you are looking for.

488civ10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roadking has stated he's "only driven old muscle cars and jeep wranglers for daily drivers, so I am used to bad gas mileage and a not so comfortable ride."

So he's ahead of the curve. :D
He would need to get used to the volume of attention though, its a tough job, but somebody's gotta do it.. :lmao:

Most people would take the Z06 due to comfort, electronics, and lack of attention(which can be bad).

Burntrubber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Which year cars are we talking about, GenII, III, IV vipers. What year Z06. Newer Vipers are more comfortable than GenIIs, and a vette is a much better daily driver all around, the newer ones are fast! The vette won't get any attention in a parking lot, which is better for daily driving.

GBS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Viper and a Z06 and love them both. Don't worry about what other people think. I would drive them both and decide for yourself.

softuff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's funny this should come up.......I've been using an 06 Z06 as a daily driver for the past 2 years & traded it last Friday for an 06 Viper coupe.
No regrets,I like my cars a little raw:drive:
The Corvette is defenitely more comfortable,but I didn't buy either for comfort.

The guy I use for all my engine work said it the best......"The Viper is not made for your comfort,it's made for other drivers DIS-comfort".;)

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score

nuff said.:usa:

Not Quite! There are no Z06 convertibles. The performance differences are minor and well within the skill level of the drivers in 90% of street situations.

If I didn't live in Iowa, loaded with salt and potholes all winter, I'd be driving my Viper almost every day all year. As it is I've driven mine over 27,000 miles in just under 3 driving seasons. I drive it to work most days when the salt is off the roads. I don't drive it if I have to go to the courthouse or anywhere I can't get a parking spot that is unlikely to have my doors dinged.

I am not anti-Corvette like some, owning '61 and '69 Convertibles, but the new ones don't play in the Viper's league for pure pleasure.

An SRT-10 is a fine daily driver.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte