Zerex Racing Super Coolant - temp difference results

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
Just flushed the old 50/50 mix out of my radiator and replaced it with Zerex Racing Super Coolant and distilled water at a roughly 92:8 water:Zerex ratio.

I couldn't get all the old coolant out; had to use a ramp and the car was uneven. I'll probably flush again in a week or so and do a proper 90:10 ratio.

Drove it for about 5 miles to see if there was any difference.

While cruising at highway speeds, there was a consistent 8º difference on the cooler side - runs about 191º at highway speeds, just a hair past the center mark. At idle, it runs at about 200º, which is about 10º - 15º cooler than normal.

Having said all that, these are only short-term results. When I get stuck in the mother f^(%!@* Miami rush hour traffic tomorrow, I'll have much better data on how well it cools at idle.

OP
OP
D

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
Probably. But this stuff is <font color="purple">purple</font>. That's reason enough to use it. Looks cooler :D

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll bet if you use 10% green coolant, in a year you'll wish you hadn't. Anti-corrosion additive treat rates in coolants are on the order of 7%-10%, and assuming the Zerex product is just additive, your cooling system is protected. At 10% green stuff, you'd have 1% additive at most and be open to severe corrosion, pitting, and rust.

DChan415

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldnt run 90 percent water on a street car period. The coolant not only lowers the freezing point, but it raises the boiling point as well. For racing, a water/water wetter mix has worked great though. Its mandatory for 2 wheel track days too.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would, if the other 10% were additives. The heat transfer coefficient of water is so much higher than glycol, you'd get more cooling and (with a radiator cap) less chance of boiling. Water wetter from Red Line doesn't change the boiling or freeze protection. Red Line isn't mandatory for track days, is it? I think it's mandatory not to have glycol.

OP
OP
D

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
Zerex Racing Super Coolant has both anti-corrosives and boiling protection, it simply has no anti-freeze. But in Miami, it's highly unlikely I'd ever need anti-freeze.

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes this staff would be very dangerous on a Canadian car.
Temp gets often below -10F where I live. In a couple of week we will get freezing in the morning.

I heard about a staff that good for both cooling and freezing. It is based on some type of alcool. What is it ?
(Not whisky for sure).

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't see where it provides greater boiling protection than the water it goes in - where did you see that?

I think the boiling point listing in the physical properties is the boiling point of the additive concentrate.

OP
OP
D

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
"Super Coolant contains inhibitors only—special antifoaming agents and protection during boiling—Turcotte says..."

David Turcotte is the guy on top at Zerex. Snippet taken from this Car &amp; Driver article.

Not sure why he would lie to C&amp;D in an article specifically dedicated to his products, but 'm not sure why they wouldn't include such info on the bottle, either.

If I get motivated, I'll run some stovetop boil tests with Zerex vs plain water :laugh: