0-100-0 Viper vs Z06 and Silver State Classic

Reaction score
I returned recently from a week of fun at the Nevada Open Road Challenge. The new Z06s made a good showing as expected and THEY are definitely contenders.

I ended up in 2nd Place Overall for the Z1Z (0-100-0 Event) and lost the Vbox prize to a Z06 by 19 feet.
Speed -Stop/ Z1Z Challenge Results

Not having ABS in my '99 Snake proved my downfall, because even with decent brakes (Stop Techs) those pesky Vettes stopped way sooner than me. I have a heads/cam car so I expected to accelerate OK, but (duh!!) half this event was stopping.

The judges used the new Vbox "Drift-Box" equipment in each car to measure results. It's a pretty neat tool. They were nice enough to send me the run files for the winner and myself so I could see where I lost ground. Their software enables comparisons to be exported so I made up a chart to share (you can click into my photos for much bigger images to view of all pics).

189Viper_drag_sheets-med.jpg

You can compare my shift points and acceleration with the Z06, but look at the struggle for my non-ABS car to stop while the Vette has just a linear deceleration. Ray McIntyre ran his SRT with stopping distances more like the Vettes. Older Vipers have not been touted for braking and this certainly illustrates the point.

Here's a pic at the start line for the Z1Z and One Mile Runs in Ely, NV (Ray McIntyre's SRT is also in this pic). Take a look at the "wide open roads" in Northern Nevada. This is why the event is held here, instead of some more crowded place like California. By the way, Vettes don't look like this do they???

189Nev_2006_Z-med.jpg

Here's a pic of the Japanese Entry for the Unlimited Class (with my Grandson). This fellow shipped his big Turbo Boosted Nissan along with his "entourage" from Japan for this event. He took the prize for the fastest mile this year at 190 mph at 6400 feet elevation but failed to finsih in the 90 mile run.

189Nev_2006_Derek_350z-med.jpg

However..... Dan Everts (aka Viper X) bagged the trophy for the Half Mile at 159 mph (still under review due to the 164 mph reading on Dan's GPS where he shutoff at the half mile cones). 164 in the half mile compared to most runs in the Mile Results plainly says he's "SMOKIN'". After he gets his car sorted out it will be a MONSTER :eek: Unfortunately I didn't get a photo of his run but I did get this shot of Dan at the awards ceremony:

189Nev_2006_Dan-med.jpg

On Sunday the 90 mile race was the conclusion of several days of intense motoring, This year my wife and grandkids plus Melissa Belevedere (my Navigator Gary's wife) were course workers (the only way to view the 90 mile race). Here is a shot they took of us blasting by at 160 mph +. You can get a good perspective of the terrain for high speed driving.

189Nev_2006_90_mile_race_a-med.jpg

Listen Viper Guys, the September event is a week before VOI and this event is a cruise away from Vegas. Let's see some real COMPETITIVE cars come out there to take top honors and make it a clean sweep for the Vipers.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i really gotta do that one day.

im gonna shoot for next year.

gret pics and it looks like ya did just fine

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At least you out accelerated the Z06. Thanks for posting the results. Looks like a blast!

OP
OP
G
Reaction score
All four. Here's a pic:
189BBS1-med.jpg

They work great at the track, especially with my Hoosiers, but "panic" (shortest possible) stops from 100 lock up without the ABS.

Perhaps someone with proper foot modualtion might have done better.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice summary and pix. Looks like great fun! Good effort, and there is no way you can beat ABS in a full braking effort. Where were the SRT-10's? I can't believe ya'll let the Japanese win the overall mile!!! Dangit. Where were all the Paxton equiped cars??

OP
OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments.

Big Medicine: I don't have anything on my hood. There is a K&N Sponsor's Decal directly above my NACA air inlet duct on some photos. At the Silverstate, all cars running the event have decals on their cars. If this is not the answer, let me know which photo in my gallery you referred to.

Boxer 12:
There was one SRT in the Z1Z event (Ray McIntyre) who took 4th place. He stopped much quicker than me (like the Vettes) but didn't have the mods for quicker acceleration. If you enlarge the photo of the chart in my photo gallery, you'll see I hit the 100 mph point about 100 feet sooner than the C6 Z06 and around 1.7 seconds sooner in time.

The Japanese car was a full on race car. There were two Vipers with the power to win, but both had issues. I mentioned Dan (Viper X) above who won the 1/2 mile with his Paxton equipped, highly modded 530 cube SRT. He didn't run the Mile or the 90 Mile events becasue of fuel delivery problems. Paulo Castellano brought Joseph Dell's twin turbo RT, but had an oil problem that put it back on the trailer.

It's too bad for both of these fellows, but these things happen.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That 0-100-0 test has been around for decades and is showing it's age. Today, the standing mile time and speed is what impresses me. With the scary fast rides of today the quarter mile isn't long enough.

Really, I never brag about the brakes on my Viper when people ask about it. Good kill.

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Today, the standing mile time and speed is what impresses me. Really, I never brag about the brakes on my Viper when people ask about it. Good kill.

0-100-0 + skid pad G's has to be the best test of a cars performance. who gives a [******] if you can get to 300mph if you cant stop on a dime too. i agree standing mile is awesome but brakes are already under rated. its been my dream to compete in the silver state, maybe a couple years from now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21