0-60 gain going to 3.73 differential on otherwise stock 00 GTS

2000redgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much would going to 3.73 rear diff change acceleration times on my otherwise stock 00 GTS? I did a search and learned a lot about the different differentials, but never found a post where anyone had a solid guess on acceleration gains 0-60, quarter mile, only how top speed was affected. Thanks in advance for any help.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NONE.. I did 3.55's and found it MUCH harder to keep traction, and stop light racing a buddy's z06 that I used to WAX at stop lights, was able to beat me EASILY now, because I was not able to FULLY unload my HP without spinning.

that was with 3.55's and NOW your going to do 3.73 ?? Enjoy show boating.. thats all its good for.

Jon

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup I totaly agree, shorter gears in Vipers without the aid of sticky tires are pointless.

Now I am sure if you are a great driver you can control the spin and make the gears work for you.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to disagree. I feel the 3.73 make the car jump off the line MUCH harder, BUT, you have to learn how to modulate the clutch and gas to control wheelspin. Kind'a what Russ M said above.

Basically, if you have problems with wheel spin with the stock 3.07's, don't even consider gears. But, if you feel like the car could come out of the hole a lot harder, and your currently hooking all the power in all gears, go for it. A lot depends on the condition of your tires, and how they pave the roads where you drive.

As far as 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, some people go faster, some go slower, and some go the same. So go figure.... But the max difference is usually 2/10th - 3/10th in 0-60 and 1/4 mile.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I felt that the wheelspin was about the same with 3.07s and 3.55 gears, but I wouldn't count on any 0-60MPH gain on stock tires. Maybe with BFG drag radials.

3.73s would be even harder to hook up, and also force a shift into 5th gear in the 1/4 mile as you add power.

I chose 3.55s, and that's as much gear as I wanted to add. But I DO love the feel of the gears as both 5th and 6th are usable now, and the power in every gear feels more lively.
Still more is not always better here, and too much gear will definitely invoke tire spinning in first and 2nd gears on the stock Pilots.

-Dean.

MKB96Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good Evening,
I have the 3.73's and they are awesome!! This is my first Viper and the 3.73's were in it when I bought it so they are what I learned to drive on. As they have all said you will have to learn the throttle and clutch real well. Tire spin is dramatic if you want it at any time up through 3rd gear. However, I have been able to get some 1.8's at the track for 60' times on 7yo original Pilot's. It takes practice but you will like the feel if torque is what you are after. You will be at exactly 6,000 rpm's at 120mph which is where you will finish out the 1/4 mile. My best has been a 12.05 at 119.69 with these gears. Changing to 5th at 5600 rpms didn't help. For street challenges you will be unbeatable from 40 to 120!! Good luck whatever you decide.
Keep in mind that adding power will assure you changing into 5th in the 1/4 mile. That is when I will sufffer but for now I am enjoying it in its stock configuration.

God Bless,
Keith

PhilC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The need to shift into second gear would probably eliminate
any gain in time to 60mph,if there would be any gain to be had.

You've got to do that shift even with the stock gears, so I disagree with this being the reason but do agree that traction is more of a problem with the 3.73 gear.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have any real data, but the 3.73s really woke up my GenI car back about 6 yrs ago! Passing another car in 3rd at say 45mph went from a lazy torquey move to HANG ON!

That GenI was a 12.12ET car (with BFGs) so it was putting as much or more power to the ground at the strip as most stock or mild GenIIs, yet on the street I didn't have any problems with excess wheel spin. I didn't run the car at the strip before installing the 3.73s though, so I have no before and after comparo.

GenIIs trap speeds tend to be higher than GenIs so I feel 3.73 is too stiff for 1/4 mile race use on a GenII.

I have 3.45s waiting to install in my GenII in the Spring.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang