'01 ABS MELT DOWN

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
\'01 ABS MELT DOWN

Has anyone put any SERIOUS heat to the ABS brakes yet? I'm thinking the ABS sensors are going to melt due to the excessive heat. I prepair a car for one infamous guy that melted the sensors on his E55 Benz when he was running laps with it at Viper Days Buttonwillow last year. If you were one of the passengers in the car, you know how hard he is on the brakes! I'm going to add cooling hoses of course and insulate what I can, but I'm just thinking that the heat might kill the sensors.dj

Reaction score
Re: \'01 ABS MELT DOWN

We have countless Mustang customers who run their ABS-equipped Cobras and GTs with our Hawk racing brake pads, and I know of no ABS-related failures yet. I would think that Dodge would chose an ABS sensor that could stand up to serious heat, even with a race pad. Even still, it wouldn't be a bad idea to run brake ducting.

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I heard his car is so wimpy he could probably just open the door and put down a sneaker, so heat should be no bid deal ;-)

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kverges:
I heard his car is so wimpy he could probably just open the door and put down a sneaker, so heat should be no bid deal ;-)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, no, no, Keith - You're thinking of dirt speedway bikes or MX. Mumford would either drag a knee or his butt on the pavement.

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That's why I wouldn't want ABS brakes...only something else to break or malfunction and parts are expensive. I'd rather have 4 wheel drums on my Viper than ABS!

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Frank,I have beaten an abs equipped taurus at a driving school with threshold braking and steering during lock/unlock up.Beat an abs car and could still manuver and lane change.I would prefer a driver adjustable front/rear proportioning valve and individual wheel adjustments for track use.Alas I cannot beat a four channel system.And neither can sprint car drivers,F1 drivers or anyone else.Yep,rear only abs or 2 or 3 channel abs is lousy.But a 4 wheel abs system is unbeatable. Bruce

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score

BTW semi's use drum brakes.They are great for 1 or 2 stops.Can't beat them.After that you need discs for repeated use without cool down. Bruce

dtittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree with Frank. The only time I want ABS on my cars is when I'm in daily driver traffic. ABS on the track really gets in the way since it doesn't work for trail braking and in rough conditions. It can also cause you to screw up major if your not expecting it to activate. The C5 brake pedal will drop over an inch in certain circumstances when the ABS kicks on. Imagine THAT while trying to trailbrake!

Some people think that ABS offers some mystical advantage but it really doesn't unless it's a really GOOD system. Heck, in the Corvette's you CAN'T even properly bleed the brakes without a computer that costs several thousand dollars and is only reserved for dealers. I'll bet that the Viper has the same problem. We'll see soon.

Regards,

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTS Bruce:
Yep,rear only abs or 2 or 3 channel abs is lousy.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In the tech session at VOI I seem to remember the Team Viper guys telling us that the 2001 ABS was 3 channel. Is this true?
You must be registered for see images

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Relax guys!

We did an autocross with 2 2001 GTS' with ABS. 27 different drivers, over a 9 hour span, with speeds in excess of 90 MPH, and not one lock up or any hint of fade. With at least 60 out great spins put in for fun.

The system was flawless, and judging by how hard these were driven, I think it is safe to say that unless you are driving at Daytona, they should be just fine the majority of the owners using them.

OP
OP
D

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The car is a bit "soft" on power. I just don't want bad brakes with low power. We'll go through 1-2 sets of pads for the weekend. I'm predicting the sensors will melt. dj

Reaction score

Actually, to set the record straight-the track was Buttonwillow that I melted the sensors. It was on my '99 CLK430. So when I brought my '00 E55 to Buttonwillow I prepared it with a $7000 Renntech Brembo kit (calipers from Ferrari F-40) front and rear which promptly warped the rotors. Willow Springs isn't hard at all on brakes, but stock Viper brakes will overheat without MAJOR ducting at the least at a track like Buttonwillow or Laguna Seca. Ask Ken Adelberg who annihilated his aftermarket brake kit at Laguna Seca last weekend while running in first place in his race.

Moral of the story...get LOTS of air to the brakes if you plan on running more than a couple back to back laps hard (ABS or not).

Mark Young

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Supposedly, the point of leaving the foglamps off the ACRs was two-fold, reduce weight and leave the option for a duct kit to the brakes using the foglamp holes.

Has anyone actually done this? SnakeOyl sells these neat little screens that replace the foglamps and keep dirt/debris from entering the ducting but I haven't seen mention of an actual part set to for the ducts, nor have I heard/seen anyone doing this.

Anybody with any experience here?

- Mark ('99 ACR)

Reaction score

That's not a good place to grab air because it's broken up by the front bumper and supposedly there's no airflow going through the tubes. I had one fabricated last year and it didn't work. It's best to get the air from the front of the car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang