02 RT Hard Top Front Latches

Greg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had one of them replaced after it went loose (under warranty).

-- Greg

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hmmm... One of mine is loose, feels like the spring that pushes back against the latch is missing. When I called Parts Rack about it, Jon B said there's no hardware available to fix this, iirc. Appreciate info on obtaining replacement latch hardware and installation, if you have any luck.

red heat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had this problem with the front latches of my hard top only one year after owning it. You can fix it quite easily yourself. Lean the hard top up on a wall. remove the anchoring screws (2 of them) on each side. Do one side at a time.

After removing one (takes like 15 seconds), you'll notice that the latch is held in place by a bolt/thread mechanism that constantly loosens (poorly designed).

You need to buy heavy duty thread-locker (also known as "lock-tite"). its a compound that comes in a small toothpaste like container(costs about 3-4 dollars). Apply the thread-locker to the threading that holds the latch in place and tighten the bolt onto it snug. You have to wait about a day to let it fully dry. When you initially tighten it make sure that the latch moves with a little bit of resistance. After a day, screw the unit back onto the hardtop. then do the other side. Do one at a time since the two latch systems look very similar and can easily be confused and placed onto the wrong side.

this should be a permanent fix. I'm not very handy with tools and I found it very easy to do myself. Any questions, contact me at [email protected]

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be careful, there are little springs in there that will pop out. I had mine replaced 2 weeks after I got my new RT. Dealer said it would have cost about $ 400.00 If I had to pay for it. That made the extended warranty a easy choice.

Andy

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Happens to me all the time. I have lost the ball bearing in the front latches three times. My latches in total must have been replaced 5 or 6 times already in two years. I am trying to work on getting a new hardtop through warranty because this is just too much work.

OP
OP
R

Robert Dyck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you all for the responses.

Red Heat: I've sent you an e-mail.

Thanks again! When I get to the bottom of the problem, I'll post again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang