03 SRT10 Convertible Rattle

03-SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good Day fellas, new member here and new to the viper world, recently picked up a 03 SRT10 and the car is dam rear flawless, only issue im having is this nasty rattle/vibration behind the driver seat area? Doesnt happen on idle or normal driving only can notice when you really on the thorttle.....And here is the thing you can only hear it when the top is up, when the top is down you cant hear anything?

Any help would be awesome as its driving me insane...lol

Thanks

Dan

ROYMAN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the seal between the glass and the roof... if you only hear it when the top is up there is a possibility the wind is coming in and moving something around... this was my case.

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The structure/skeleton of the soft top is held by a couple of c-channels that are fastened with small button head screws requiring an allen wrench to tighten. You might want to check them all out and ensure that they are tight.

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unusual that it happens only when on the throttle hard. Most Viper rattles seem to be road bump related. Makes me wonder about the condition of the CV joints in the left side half-shaft. Are you sure you're not wheel-hopping under hard acceleration (first and second gear)?

Location high or low? There are a series of screws around the back of the convertible top that mount it to the body (check with trunk open and the top up). Most common top-up rattle is the post on the convertible top that goes into the top windshield header. I wrapped mine with the fuzzy side of self-stick black Velcro. If low, check the rear sidepipe exhaust mount just in front of the rear tire. Also, at times the inner fender liners (black plastic around the tire area) have mounting screws missing.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I second the motion on wrapping the guide pins of the top where they go into the windshield. I had a really annoying noise from them because of that and read about the velcro thing on the site. Tried it out and it has decreased quite a bit. Still get a little noise from time to time, but I think my velcro doesn't cover enough of the pin so it's not snug against the hole. Don't think this is necessarily your issue, but can be a common convertible top noise that you might encounter.

OP
OP

03-SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unusual that it happens only when on the throttle hard. Most Viper rattles seem to be road bump related. Makes me wonder about the condition of the CV joints in the left side half-shaft. Are you sure you're not wheel-hopping under hard acceleration (first and second gear)?

Location high or low? There are a series of screws around the back of the convertible top that mount it to the body (check with trunk open and the top up). Most common top-up rattle is the post on the convertible top that goes into the top windshield header. I wrapped mine with the fuzzy side of self-stick black Velcro. If low, check the rear sidepipe exhaust mount just in front of the rear tire. Also, at times the inner fender liners (black plastic around the tire area) have mounting screws missing.

Wouldnt be cv joints as it makes the sound if i bring the rpm up to 3000 at idle.

OP
OP

03-SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The structure/skeleton of the soft top is held by a couple of c-channels that are fastened with small button head screws requiring an allen wrench to tighten. You might want to check them all out and ensure that they are tight.

Ill check that out......something is loose....sounds metal on metal.

OP
OP

03-SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Found that dam rattle...lol........so i had the car in my garage and threw it up on the lift and it sounded like it was actually coming from the right rear fender well when i would bang on the rear of the convertible top.....so i removed the right rear tire and inner fender, long behold there was an L-Shaped metal bracket just sitting there very loose. Tightened her up and problem solved, ive seen a few others on this board and vrious other boards have the same issue hope this helps.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21