06 coupe vs C6 Z06

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, there's that, and then too, there's the matter of driving style and "feel". Just as a "for instance", I had both the C6Z06, and the 06SRT Coupe. I found I usually ran about the same times on a road course in both, but felt a bit more comfortable in the Viper; to me, it felt more predictable and consistent. Tony, on the other hand, found the Vette to be "more a point-and -shoot" car on a road course. I'd guess that's a difference in driving style, preferred feel, or maybe both; and that's just it; when the performance is very close (which it is), it's going to come down to what setup a driver prefers. For that matter, you and I might want a pretty different setup in the same car, even if we were running comparable times on a road circuit; that's a good argument for adjustable suspensions, air pressure adjustments, and so on. It's not that one setup or another is inherently superior, just that individual drivers vary in technique.

I agree with you 110%. When I ran in Summit Point, I had a chance to drive an STi and an S2000. My brother drove both cars as well. I was consistently faster by about a second on the STi than he was...but when we ran the S2000, he was about a second faster than I was. He is much smoother than I am ...I am a lot more aggressive. We each would have to set each car differently if we want to get the most of each of them...

OP
OP
A

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1BAD,
The question Achilles asked related to running on a road course, NOT a drag strip. He made that clear, and he has clarified it further since. I believe I told you before, that most of us who track are NOT drag racers; therefore, we really don't care which car does what on a drag strip; what we are concerned with is how the car stacks up in our chosen environment; we no more care what the record time for car X on a drag strip is, than YOU care, what the record time for car Y at the Nurburgring is. The one has NOTHING to do with the other (if it did, the ZR-1 would hold the production record at the Ring, which it does not). Entirely different environment, entirely different skill set, entirely different car qualities desired.

BINGO. I can respect drag racers, I just find it utterly boring to do myself.

I tell it like it is too, since I own both cars. I don't sugarcoat the facts, or my own track experiences. I report what they run, good or bad. 1BADGTS also does the same thing. This being a Viper site, many people just can't accept the outcome of these internet comparo discussions. They'd rather poke fun, talk about how common and bland Corvettes are, preach to the choir about Vipers being great cars, etc...

I agree. Vette forums are the same way, though.

Someone brought a VERY interesting point though. In drag racing, all you want is just ONE damn good run. In road racing, you want to be fast BUT CONSISTENT...even in a 10 lap race...it does not matter if you set the fastest lap out there...(unless you are running an autox lol)...it is the consistency throughout EVERY lap that will determine the winner...and this is NOT a matter of car, this is a matter of driver.

Yes, FASTEST LAP was what I was trying to say in post 68 lol. Could care less about that, would rather have fastest average lap.

Well, there's that, and then too, there's the matter of driving style and "feel". Just as a "for instance", I had both the C6Z06, and the 06SRT Coupe. I found I usually ran about the same times on a road course in both, but felt a bit more comfortable in the Viper; to me, it felt more predictable and consistent. Tony, on the other hand, found the Vette to be "more a point-and -shoot" car on a road course. I'd guess that's a difference in driving style, preferred feel, or maybe both; and that's just it; when the performance is very close (which it is), it's going to come down to what setup a driver prefers. For that matter, you and I might want a pretty different setup in the same car, even if we were running comparable times on a road circuit; that's a good argument for adjustable suspensions, air pressure adjustments, and so on. It's not that one setup or another is inherently superior, just that individual drivers vary in technique.

Very well said WILDASP!