06 coupe vs C6 Z06

OP
OP
A

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm less concerned about drag strip times... I'm more curious from a roll (which is typically more indicative of how a track (road course) is). From what I can see from Youtube, the Z06 seems to have an advantage from 40-100+ mph.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm less concerned about drag strip times... I'm more curious from a roll (which is typically more indicative of how a track (road course) is). From what I can see from Youtube, the Z06 seems to have an advantage from 40-100+ mph.
From a roll there is no finite way to measure variables like WHO STARTED FIRST.If you look at the fastest DOCUMENTATED RECORD runs of each car the Gen 3 stock record is around 11.5 and the Z06 record is 10.9 =NOT EVEN REMOTELY CLOSE (the Z06 trapps approx 5 mph faster which is also a ton )A stock Gen 4 AND Z06 are very evenly matched .

OP
OP
A

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn't matter who started first. If they are both rolling at 40mph, it's whoever is pulling away by the end that wins. IE, if the Viper jumps out by 1 car because he started first, but the Z06 accelerates past him, he's faster. Vice versa is true too of course.

Oh, and I'm more interested in the GenIII vs C6 Z06. I find that to be a fairer comparison since both were in 2006. It's also what I'll be running :)

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn't matter who started first. If they are both rolling at 40mph, it's whoever is pulling away by the end that wins. IE, if the Viper jumps out by 1 car because he started first, but the Z06 accelerates past him, he's faster. Vice versa is true too of course.

Oh, and I'm more interested in the GenIII vs C6 Z06. I find that to be a fairer comparison since both were in 2006. It's also what I'll be running :)
I dont quite think you realize how much 6 tenths difference is in a speed contest In the quarter mile 6 tenths is over 6 FULL car lenths difference .If you raced a Gen 4 against a Gen 3 it would be the IDENTICAL THING AS THE GEN 4 Viper and Z06 are a toss up speed wise .

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ps if you look at the speed record chart provided by Twister the Gen 3 trapps at 122 while the Z06 trapps 129 .Trapp speed is a direct indication of horsepower .A 7 mph difference is a HUGH AMOUNT of speed difference .

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well, if a car jumps the other car by about a car...the amount of ground that will have to be made will be considerable...because the other car has already began accelerating before the other car...it is not as simple as say both cars starting exactly at the same time with one car difference...makes sense?

If an 06 Viper is one car ahead before both cars punch it, the Z will pass it in no time. If the 06 Viper punches it and the Z punches it AFTER the Viper is already one car ahead, the ground that will have to made up will be much much more as the Viper had already began accelerating before...I am sure there is a way to calculate this exactly but thinking about it already gives me a headache...LOL.

I don't know why the 08 Viper was brought into the equation as your question was about a GenIII so I will stick to that (as I have a gen IV Viper and THAT is a driver's race against a C6Z06, no matter what anyone tells you).

So...on the road course, which again, seems the question at hand, yes, if you are running consistent times than the Z06, you ARE a better driver...and you have every reason to throw it on Z06 driver's face...:D

Z06's brakes will overheat sooner or later, especially if you are very aggressive on the braking (raises hand). If the driver of the Z is much smoother the brakes will last a LONG time. A lot of Z's switch to dot4 and more aggressive pads, but the biggest complaint is that the cooling ducts are too far from the actual rotors/brakes, so a lot of them also insert ducts that accomplish much more efficiency when cooling.

The runflat's are crap on the Z...however, they are extremely predictable and also do not overheat as quickly as the "stock" tires on the Viper. The runflats also have very stiff sidewalls which is very helpful on the roadcourse...but the grip would be the advantage on the Viper.

Have fun on course and be safe...:drive:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, if a car jumps the other car by about a car...the amount of ground that will have to be made will be considerable...because the other car has already began accelerating before the other car...it is not as simple as say both cars starting exactly at the same time with one car difference...makes sense?

If an 06 Viper is one car ahead before both cars punch it, the Z will pass it in no time. If the 06 Viper punches it and the Z punches it AFTER the Viper is already one car ahead, the ground that will have to made up will be much much more as the Viper had already began accelerating before...I am sure there is a way to calculate this exactly but thinking about it already gives me a headache...LOL.

I don't know why the 08 Viper was brought into the equation as your question was about a GenIII so I will stick to that (as I have a gen IV Viper and THAT is a driver's race against a C6Z06, no matter what anyone tells you).

So...on the road course, which again, seems the question at hand, yes, if you are running consistent times than the Z06, you ARE a better driver...and you have every reason to throw it on Z06 driver's face...:D

Z06's brakes will overheat sooner or later, especially if you are very aggressive on the braking (raises hand). If the driver of the Z is much smoother the brakes will last a LONG time. A lot of Z's switch to dot4 and more aggressive pads, but the biggest complaint is that the cooling ducts are too far from the actual rotors/brakes, so a lot of them also insert ducts that accomplish much more efficiency when cooling.

The runflat's are crap on the Z...however, they are extremely predictable and also do not overheat as quickly as the "stock" tires on the Viper. The runflats also have very stiff sidewalls which is very helpful on the roadcourse...but the grip would be the advantage on the Viper.

Have fun on course and be safe...:drive:
Exactly my Gen 4 was run by Smith in the exact same weather he ran the Z06 in (Super Chevy Test )both at Englishtown and my Viper was slightly faster (which is a direct reflection of Jamies times )No way in the world a Gen 3 coming anywhere near that i mean not even in the same ballpark.Smith in 93 degree heat running into a 5mph headwind was popping 11.4-11.5 all day long in the Vette.

OP
OP
A

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1BadGTS - Are we divorced or something because we just aren't communicating well lol :)

I have no idea how drag racing came up, when I say track I mean the road course. Not sure what you mean by a tenth here and there, I'm just saying that if two people are side by side on a straightaway, going the exact same speed (maintaining that speed, not accelerating up to it), and then both punch it, whoever is pulling away is the faster car. A tenth is a lot in a drag race because you're going 120+mph by the end. During a rolling start maintaining speed at 40mph, an extra tenth from whoever "jumped" the start first doesn't really matter much.

Acceleration is the rate of change of speed. It doesn't matter who got a jump first. Yes, whoever is a car length ahead started accelerating first. BUT, if the other car has the same acceleration the distance between the two should stay roughly the same. This assumes a rolling start where both cars are maintaining the same start speed (40mph?). Neither the Z06 or the Gen III Viper accelerate so fast that having a tenth of a second head start (at 40mph) up to 120+mph makes a relative difference.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So then if you were to run a Gen 4 against the Gen 3 in the exact same way you are saying the Gen 3 would of course have a chance against the Gen 4 then.

OP
OP
A

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So then if you were to run a Gen 4 against the Gen 3 in the exact same way you are saying the Gen 3 would of course have a chance against the Gen 4 then.

Huh? I'm trying to compare a Gen 3 with a Z06.

Are you asking what I think would happen between a Gen 3 and Gen 4? I have no idea. I would hope the Gen 4 would pull away with an extra 100hp. However, I'm not sure exactly when that would happen since I'm not sure which car accelerates faster during which speed and rpm. 40-60? 60-100?

To me, a quarter mile race is not necessarily indicative of a car's performance on a road course. Could be gearing, could be which car hooks up better, etc.

I'm trying to figure out which car (Gen III or Z06) should be faster on a road course, assuming both are pushed to its limits (taking out driver variability). What I'd like to try next week is to get behind the Zo6, match his speed coming out of a corner (say around 40mph), and see who accelerates faster. To me, whoever pulls away is the faster car.

Last edited:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Huh? I'm trying to compare a Gen 3 with a Z06.

Are you asking what I think would happen between a Gen 3 and Gen 4? I have no idea. I would hope the Gen 4 would pull away with an extra 100hp. However, I'm not sure exactly when that would happen since I'm not sure which car accelerates faster during which speed and rpm. 40-60? 60-100?
Thats my exact point as since a Gen 4 and a Z06 ARE IDENTICAL ACCELERATION WISE logic maintains in any contest of acceleration they would win over a Gen 3.Dont get horsepower fixated because while a Gen4 has more than a Z06 the Vette is MUCH lighter and geared better as everyone has told you an acceleration contest between the two(GEN 4 AND Z06 ) is a toss up.

OP
OP
A

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats my exact point as since a Gen 4 and a Z06 ARE IDENTICAL ACCELERATION WISE logic maintains in any contest of acceleration they would win over a Gen 3.Dont get horsepower fixated because while a Gen4 has more than a Z06 the Vette is MUCH lighter and geared better as everyone has told you an acceleration contest between the two(GEN 4 AND Z06 ) is a toss up.

OK, so we agree that a Z06 should accelerate and be faster than a Gen III in a straight line from a roll. Got it :2tu:

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a road course, indeed, but not on the strip...advantage still goes to the Z06. Most drivers can't get the Viper down to the same times as the Z on the strip, but I agree that it does have the potential to beat it;, JF did, once, in the Vert that I happen to own now. On the street, the Z trounces the Viper in a straight line - any year. that's just the way it is...but I still love my Viper.

Why do i have to say this again..In a straight line a 2008 Viper will walk away from a C6Z06..

show me one heads up article were the Viper wasnt faster..Show me one street raceing video were the Viper dosent jog away..

The 2008 Vipers are trapping 128-130 mph.....The fastest C6Z06 ever was 128 mph..The fastest 2008 Viper ever was 131 mph..

So how can you say that the z06 beats any Viper straight line..That just is far from the truth

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ps if you look at the speed record chart provided by Twister the Gen 3 trapps at 122 while the Z06 trapps 129 .Trapp speed is a direct indication of horsepower .A 7 mph difference is a HUGH AMOUNT of speed difference .

Dont even try it..he he he...The gen3's have several people on that list at 123 mph....How many people running that 128 mph your referring to???

4 mph advantage..Thats all ill give...

Then look at the 2008 Viper list..3-4 people who all went 129 mph....Not even close

The C6Z06 is awesome...Dont get me wrong..But 2008 Viper fast it is not...Last guy I was talking to about his 2008 Viper on this forum showed me a bunch of 129-131 mph time slips..BONE STOCK..

C6Z06's on the best days with the best drivers will be 126-128..Not even close

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, so we agree that a Z06 should accelerate and be faster than a Gen III in a straight line from a roll. Got it :2tu:

I have dont thi race numerous times in my 2003 srt10 against my friends 2006 C6Z06..

I had KN filters and roller rockers and he still would beat me by 2 cars from 70-140 mph...So stock vrs stock your talking 4 cars back at 140 mph when starting at a 70 mph roll speed..

From 40-100 mph like you are talking about stock for stock it will be very close..The tourque of the Viper would defiently help on these short blast...

If you look at the links I posted..You will see that the 2006 couope and C6Z06 are a toss up on a road course..Some the viper won and some the C6Z05 won...

My money would be on you turning better times..The SRT10 coupe with it's stiffness and huge tires is said to be a very easy car to road race in all the heads up reviews...

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do i have to say this again..In a straight line a 2008 Viper will walk away from a C6Z06..

show me one heads up article were the Viper wasnt faster..Show me one street raceing video were the Viper dosent jog away..

The 2008 Vipers are trapping 128-130 mph.....The fastest C6Z06 ever was 128 mph..The fastest 2008 Viper ever was 131 mph..

So how can you say that the z06 beats any Viper straight line..That just is far from the truth
Twister YOUR WRONG AS EVIDENCED BY THE Furmans documentated records in both cars A 10.9 IS A 10.9 his trap speeds were close to .You admit you have never driven a Gen 4 Viper i have owned one (produced one of the best times ever on YOUR list for an 08 )and i can tell you NUMERIOUS friends own Z06 it is not walking away from a Z06 IT IS VERY CLOSE

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont even try it..he he he...The gen3's have several people on that list at 123 mph....How many people running that 128 mph your referring to???4 mph advantage..Thats all ill give...Then look at the 2008 Viper list..3-4 people who all went 129 mph....Not even closeThe C6Z06 is awesome...Dont get me wrong..But 2008 Viper fast it is not...Last guy I was talking to about his 2008 Viper on this forum showed me a bunch of 129-131 mph time slips..BONE STOCK..C6Z06's on the best days with the best drivers will be 126-128..Not even close
Twister last time i checked all you need is one person to run a number to set a record and a TRAP SPEED OF 128 MPH in a Z06 PROVES its right there with a Gen 4 .Last time you tried this the record holder himself (Jamie Furman )got on here and told you you were wrong are you saying he lyed when he said a Gen 4 and Z06 were a toss up acceleration wise.I think he would know since he basically owns and holds records in every RECORDIN IN American supercar out there.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The link to the thread is BONE STOCK SRT IN THE 10S .Twister please READ Jamies reply #121 WHERE HE SPECIFICALLY STATES A Z06 and Gen 4 are even .

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even on a track though right ! Not the same as a highway pull.

Achilles, I'm trying so hard not to PM you in that murci...lol

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Twister, your comments about a Gen 4 "walking away" or "jogging away" from a C6Z06 from a roll are not accurate. Yes, the Gen IV is a little faster than the C6Z, but not enough to "walk away" from them. When the '08 Viper came out, several people in Houston bought them and we all had several nights of spirited driving for comparison's sake.

The Z06 does walk away from a Gen 3 Viper.
The Z06 gets edged out by a Gen 4 Viper. Not "walked away from".

Internet lists are just as lame as magazine racing. Same day racing at the same venue are far more accurate.

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Z is impressive. Too bad it looks like every other Vette out there. Not trying to bash the Chevy, but Vettes are just to normal looking. I see at least 5 to 6 Vettes a day. Saying that though they are very impressive the Z and the ZR1. I think you will run faster times with you Gen3! If you are even driver wise it will be close.

Spdrcrj25

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too bad the car doesn't do anything for me visually (looks like every other vette out there). I'm 80% performance, 20% looks :)

This is how I feel. This is the first year I haven't owned a Vette since '95. They are just too common nowadays.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Twister, your comments about a Gen 4 "walking away" or "jogging away" from a C6Z06 from a roll are not accurate. Yes, the Gen IV is a little faster than the C6Z, but not enough to "walk away" from them. When the '08 Viper came out, several people in Houston bought them and we all had several nights of spirited driving for comparison's sake.

The Z06 does walk away from a Gen 3 Viper.
The Z06 gets edged out by a Gen 4 Viper. Not "walked away from".

Internet lists are just as lame as magazine racing. Same day racing at the same venue are far more accurate.

So let me get this straight....

when a stock C6Z06 races a stock gen3 Viper from 70-140 mph and puts 4 cars on it then the Z06 walks away..

When a gen4 viper races a c6Z06 from 70-140 mph and puts 3 cars on it then it is barely edging the Z06 out?????

C6Z06 hits 150 mph in 17.5 seconds
Gen3 hits 150 mph in 19.5 seconds
Gen4 hits 150 mph in 16.1 seconds

So I guess the 2 seconds faster to 150 mph for the Z06 is just a hole can of worms differant from the 1.4 seconds faster to 150 mph the gen4 is over the vette????

I could post multiple videos of stock 2008 Vipers rapeing stock and modded C6Z06's..But I will not Hijack this thread any more,,

Back to the origional poster..I see what your getting at..The 1/4 mile really emphasizes on weight and gearing for the launch ect....But as speed increases weight/gearing arent as much of a factor...

Honestly a stock 2003-2006 Viper"HITS" harder than a C6Z06..Say they are side by side at 50 mph in second gear and they both slam the gas at the same time...The viper with it's tourque will jump out 1-2 cars ( I have done this many many times) But the rpm's/power of the Z06 will shine and the Z06 will over take the gen3...

get it on vid..Because I got a feeling a lot of Z06 guys are gonna be surprised at your 40-80 mph blast on the road course with the Z06

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Twister by you own list you created Evan Smiths time of 11.3 at 129.7 in my Gen 4 is one of the best out there why would i lie in saying a race against a Z06 WITH MY CAR (SAME DRIVER) IS A TOSS UP.. EVERY PERSON who has experiance owning, running both cars (including Jamie Furman HIMSELF )has told you the EXACT same thing.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score

someone on here mention they ran 132.?? in there 08

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When Mcmullen Argus was headquartered in NJ a car manu marketing dept would typically drop off a model to be tested from a day to over a week in time (the upper management takes them home basically does whatever they want in the time frame alloted )One August morning 2005 i get a call from Evan Smith that Super Chevy just got in a 400 mile Z06 we have the car for a week but Englishtown is only available today can you bring your Viper down we have a really low test slate today (sometimes there are 30  cars on a mag test day sometimes 3 it all depends ).I was like why would you want to run my modded low eleven secong 131 mph plus Gen 2 Viper against a stock Z06 (IT WILL NOT BE FAIR ).His response was this is propably the fastest stock American car i have ever driven in the right air i think it will run 10s it feels that fast(I thought he was just trying to get my goat ect ME BEING A Viper guy against a VETTE ECT  WHEN I GOT TO THE TRACK HE WOULD TELL ME HE WAS JOKING ECT ).Anyhow the heads were off my car so that was out ,Smith was like come anyway but get there by 11 because it going to be 100 .I get there and by 11 it was over 90 humid and pushing a 5 mph headwind ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE AIR .Evan was not joking as i personally witnessed him pop off 11.4-11.5s at 126-127 no problem one after another.My modded Gen 2 would definately have had its hands full.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
someone on here mention they ran 132.?? in there 08
That car was modded (HEADER PCM ECT )if you compare trap speeds (TWISTERS LIST )FOR JAMIES RECORD SETTING RUNS IN BOTH CARS STOCK you will see that they are less than 1 mph apart (while a Gen 3 is close to 7mph less ) ET is also less than a tenth diffence.I mean last November on a cool test and tune night at Englishtown Smith grapped a friends stock Z06 for *hits and giggles and trapped 128 at 11.5 .People use the old i raced my buddy with my Gen 3 against his Z06 in a side by side race (we both hit it after the third horn honk )and i pulled him by 3 lenghts AS A FINITE TEST CRITERIA TO PROCLAIM A GEN 3 FASTER OR THE OLD IT HITS MUCH HARDER. Those kind of tests or statements are worthless to determine what car is faster. DOCUMENTATED RECORDS and documentated records only are the ultimate authority THATS WHY WE HAVE THEM.