06 SRT/10 Coupe-VS-07 Shelby Mustang GT350

BLUESNAKE367

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was watching Spike TV over the weekend, Believe it to be Car&Driver, they did a comparo, 06 SRT/10 Coupe-VS-07 Shelby GT350...

Hope you guys are setting down, cause the Mustang beat the Viper by a door lenght all 3 times :evilmad: ....and quess whom was there to witness the races?? none only but Viper Coupe designer Mr.Gilles.....and his remarks was, I quess we need to look over our motor.....

I hope this was a [******] show, cause Iam pretty tired of these mas produced cars kicking our asp......

BTW, I know of a local guy who payed $20K over sticker of $48K to get one of these 07 Shelby GT350.....who knows, maybe worth it, Viper just got kicked down another notch...... :curse:

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's actually a GT500, and I have a hard time believing it will consistently outrun an SRT-10 in a straight line. Maybe Ford gave them a ringer. No magazine I've seen yet got the GT500 under high 12's in the quarter, and most were around 13.0.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Missed show. What times and trap speeds did each car have? I call [******] on this test. Not theoretically possible for a much heavier car shaped like a brick with same hp rating to beat lighter sleaker car. Poor driving combined with cheap promo for GT 500. :bonker:

NoRice

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Who cares if the stang beat it? Would you trade your Viper for the stang? Of course not. I got beat by a freaking Evo last weekend, doesn't mean ****!

bigmike32172

Viper Owner
Reaction score
its all about the gearing!
you can make a toyota corrola beat an enzo if you put low 2's in the enzo's rear and put 4's in the corolla. just have to remember if you have stock gear in your vipe you have to do some major mods to keep up with the new sports cars comming out.

Dave T (BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For what its worth there was one at Bandimere last Wednesday with brand new 30 day tags. From the launchs I saw the driver was new to the car or never raced before. First run I saw was a 14.4 (5830 track elevation with density altitude around 8000' that late afternoon). Cant remember the times after that but never saw a sub 14 second run.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me take the Car & Driver boys for a ride in my 2006 Woodhouse prepared supercharged coupe. They'll either call their mommies and/or have to change their underwear after the ride. I agree with what was said above, either Ford gave them a ringer or Dodge gave them a lemon. There is no way that the stock Mustang would take the stock coupe if they were both driven well. The Ford stats for the Mustang put its 0-60 at 4.5. The stats for the Coupe put it at under 4.0. The quarter mile stats have similar difference. No flame on Mustangs intended.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SRT is a +3yr old design. The GT500 is new, so I give DC SOME slack here, but if they don't hit it out of the ballpark with the next revision, they can kiss my @$$.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry but that doesn't make sense. A good GT500 run is Mid 14's and good viper run is high 11's. its rigged or there's just a really bad driver

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fact that they say its out-accelerating the Viper consistantly means one thing...RINGER....Teh best mph Ive seen them get for the GT500 was 113mph. ..That aint even close to the average mph Vipers put down. The 1/4 ets aint even close..This current Viper is on the way out..This GT500 carrying Carroll Shelby's name is the new hotness...Gee I wonder why the older car lost...

bigerc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Something is not right lets look at some CAR AND DRIVER stats.

Car and Driver July 2006 FORD SHELBY GT500 VS.CORVETTE
This issue lists the following stats for the gt500
0-60 --- 4.5
0-100 --- 10.3
0-150 --- 30.3
1/4mile --- 12.9@112
30-50 --- 10.4
50-70 --- 8.8

Car and Driver December 2005 CORVETTE ZO6 VS. VIPER COUPE: Shock and Awe!
Lists the following viper coupe stats
0-60 --- 3.8
0-100 --- 8.5
0-150 --- 20.2
1/4mile --- 12.1@120
30-50 --- 9.9
50-70 --- 9.8

No '07 shleby without heavy mods can beat a viper PERIOD.
Actually my initial reaction to the July `06 issue was "Wow, Ford engineering has done the impossible.... and made a 500hp car slow."

BTW a little side note that december issue does say some nice things about the viper especially its handling (viper got 10/10 the z06 got a 6/10) and a great quote "Just look at the thing. It's testosterone on wheels. From the 13.6-inch-wide rear tires to the never-ending hood, there so much attitedt that one test driver said, 'This car make me nervous.'"

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that the Shelby GT500 is a great effort.
It's a bit heavy overall, and a bit nose heavy from the iron block and supercharger being right over the front wheels.

But it offers nowhere near Viper's performance under normal circumstances. So that means that either the GT500 is a heavy ringer (with a pulley and tuning that cranks up the power) and/or it had a great driver to put the power down better than any of the magazines have been able to muster over the last few months. Or it's far more likely there was something wrong with the Viper or it's driver.

It literally takes no skill to drive a fast car slowly. Just spin the tires badly and you have lost. :(

The only mistake here is assuming that a faster, more balanced performance car (read Viper) is actually slower in real life than a car with less power and nearly 500lbs more weight to push along.

A stock Viper can easily beat A Ferrari Enzo too.
You just need to drive the Enzo poorly. That's all. ;)

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry but that doesn't make sense. A good GT500 run is Mid 14's and good viper run is high 11's. its rigged or there's just a really bad driver

I think you might want to re-check your data, the GT500 runs high 12's stock.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A friend of mine just bought a GT350, white w/blue strips. Are you telling me I need to avoid him now? :-(

What is this world coming too.

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, I meant GT500. He said he paid $12k over sticker and it's 34/100.

2005 Silver SRT/10

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In twenty years the collectable Fords will be the ones without Shelby emblems on them. :smirk:

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score

Or course, and anything else is just speculation... whatever happened in that show (I didn't see it) doesn't mean anything on the street or track.

We will smoke that GT500 any day or night. and that is on a straight line, as soon as the first turn comes, he is still going straight!!! that fat cow cannot turn!

JJB500

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Or course, and anything else is just speculation... whatever happened in that show (I didn't see it) doesn't mean anything on the street or track.

We will smoke that GT500 any day or night. and that is on a straight line, as soon as the first turn comes, he is still going straight!!! that fat cow cannot turn!

[/QUOTE]

No way that a GT500 can keep up, this thread is stupid!!!

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you can make a toyota corrola beat an enzo if you put low 2's in the enzo's rear and put 4's in the corolla. just have to remember if you have stock gear in your vipe you have to do some major mods to keep up with the new sports cars comming out.

Dang it.

Now you tell me after I dropped 2.5 million on a pair of Enzo's

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In twenty years the collectable Fords will be the ones without Shelby emblems on them.

LMAO

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, I meant GT500. He said he paid $12k over sticker and it's 34/100.

That is just stupid. :rolleyes:

He said he talked them down from $25k over sticker. He called me all excited and want to start traking the car but won't drive it to work because he wants to baby it. Not sure he can have it both ways:)

2005 Silver SRT/10

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it does not take heavy modz to put he new shelby gt-500 into the 11's. there is a post up on www.svtperformance.com right now of a shelby GT-500 that went 11.81 @ 120.9 mph in the 1/4. he posted up vidz & pix of his run complete with timeslips and dyno sheets. the only mods the car had were cai, cat back and tune and it dyno'd 500 rwhp & 502 rwtq on a mustang dyno. he was running drag radials & no pulley change or increase in boost whatsoever. with a pulley change and slicks he thinks he can run 11 flat. his sixty foot time was 1.83 seconds. seeing how his current trap speed is already 120.9 mph its entirely possible that with a good sixty foot time and the pulley swap he could run 11 flat but he is gonna need at least another 50 rwhp and a 1.50 sixty foot time to do it in my opinion because these cars are so heavy.

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score

Dang it.

Now you tell me after I dropped 2.5 million on a pair of Enzo's

:2tu:

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a voucher for a new GT500. It came in 2 weeks ago and I drove it before it's new owner came to pick it up. It is NO VIPER. I did consider keeping it for a while but took the cash instead. It will be quite formidable from a roll,but on the street small tires with no traction is it's
downfall.

That 5.4 engine will be easy to get 600hp with exhaust and a pulley. The question though is after paying 45k plus 15-25k in dealer mark-up. Why?

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The best magazine time for the GT500 is 12.2, with an expert driver (powershifting).
But most other magazine tests have clocked the GT500 between 12.7 and 13.2 in the 1/4 mile. (Stock Gen I Viper numbers) :cool:

The Shelby essentially uses an iron block version of the Ford GT engine, and so it's going to have lots of capabilites with aftermarket mods. As with the '03-'04 Mustang Cobras they are easy and cheap to modify but they have severe traction issues without drag radials, as you would imagine. :eek:

There are apparently space issues with adding a smaller pulley, which will make simple boost mods a bit tougher.
And the heavy front weight bias and solid rear axle limit the car's handling capabilities somewhat.

I agree that the Viper needs to be moved upmarket. Not to isolate it from the Shelby GT500, which doesn't offer the balanced performance, or exclusivity, and is a 4-seat Ponycar that looks an awful LOT like the base Mustangs.

The Viper needs to have more power and lighter weight so that it can move ahead of it's real competition (European high performance cars like the Gallardo, F430, Porsche 997TT) and move it past the scope of the Z06 and base Porsche 997 which cost around the same price. :2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4