SRT Live Chat - June 13th at 6:00 PM EDT - be here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This thread is reserved for the SRT engineer chat to be held LIVE on Wednesday, June 13th from 6:00 to 8:00 PM. This is your chance to chat directly with SRT employees about the Viper platform - be it old or new. Just understand that ALL questions about future product (anything beyond the already published 2008 model) will be ignored if not deleted by our moderating staff first. DCX/SRT personnel are strictly forbidden from commenting about future product, so don't waste your typewriting. Our moderators will be standing by and will delete without warning - other than this one. ;)

The VCA website staff will be posting advance questions on this thread from the other forums. This thread will otherwise be closed until we open it for the actual chat on June 13th. We hope to see you here!

PRE-QUESTIONS

Question #1 - From rcl4668 - "I have a 2008 Viper convertible on order and am interested in installing the Mopar aftermarket parts that were shown at the Detroit (and other) auto shows this past winter. What is the current status/availability of the following Mopar parts:

- Tubular Exhaust Header Package
- High-flowing, Cat-Back Exhaust System; and
- Low-restriction, functional Cold Air Intake System

I have also been informed that the installation of the following non-Mopar parts from SRT that were featured on the Detroit concept coupe will void the vehicle warranty:

- Titanium Valves and Connecting Rods
- Cast Litex Pistons and Lightened Crankshaft
- High Flow Intake Manifold with Polished Upper
- Carbon Fiber Coil Covers and Crinkle Black Valve Covers

Can you confirm this?

Thanks for your help."

Question #2 (okay, a LOT more than one question) - From Bobpantax -
"1. What new parts from the 2008 can be used in the 2003 through 2006 cars? I understand the new rear end is a plug and play swap.

2. Will the new hood fit without modification of the brackets, etc.?

3. Will the new larger oil pump be a simple swap out? I heard that it will be possible to use it but additional mods are needed - what mods?

4. I heard that the new clutch and transmission will not fit the 2003 through 2006 cars. Is this correct? Is it possible to use some of the parts of the 2008 transmission to improve the performance of the 2003 through 2006 transmissions, e.g. cones and synchros?

5. Will the flat repair device from the SRT 8's be used in the 2008 Viper?

6. Why do the run flats lose air so quickly? Is it the sidewall hardness?

7. How were you able to eliminate the crossover pipes in the 2008 and keep the noise level within federal drive by guidelines? Bigger mufflers? Will the new exhaust system from the cats back fit the 2003 through 2006 cars?

8. Does the 2008 use the same window regulator? If not, what was changed? Some of us have had to change out the regulators because one or both did not properly raise and/ or lower the window(s) on door opening and/or closing.

9. What is the MSRP of the 2008 base model before customization?

10. I understand that there are currently 2008 Vipers in build status. Is this true? If so, will the 2008 be available before September?

11. Will the new computer in the 2008 be tunable within the module or will tuners be locked out of the code?

12. I understand that with a little computer reprogramming that the 2008 engine is capable of close to 700 flywheel HP while maintaining a safe air fuel ratio. Is this correct?
How much additional flywheel HP over 600 is safely, from an engine integrity point of view, available from the new engine?

Horsepower is a matter of added air and fuel. Open exhaust adds air flow. The current fuel components won't make that power. The Detroit Auto Show engine did make 675 on an engine dyno during a power run . We have not spent any other time on that package because we need to emission certify the package and the calibration job with VVT is huge. Coupled with Electronic Throttles and the job is now monstorous.

13. I have heard that because of the VVT, the cam within a cam, the higher compression ratio, and the much more complicated new programming that it is unlikely that a simple, reliable supercharger upgrade like the current Paxton kit for the 2003 through 2006 cars will be availble for at least 18 months to two years. And, even when it is available, it will not be simple since the engine will have to be modified to lower the compression before the use of a supercharger. Correct?

14. I understand that the 2008 will use the same pistons as those used in the SRT 8's. Are these qualitatively better than the pistons that were used in the 2003 through 2006 cars?"

Yes, the same power cylinder from the SRT8 is used in the 2008 V10. They come with a floating Pin and a stronger rod. The exact bore change is 0.9MM larger.

Question #3 from doctorbob: Is the travel of the 2008 stick shifter similar to that of the aftermarket Hurst short shifter on my 2003 viper? Is the stick itself shorter?

Question #4 from 06blackviper (also quite a few):

I'd like to know more about the exhaust of the 2008.
1. will the restriction and sound be similar to the 2006 model?
2. will i get as big of a horsepower gain by going to a corsa exhaust as i did in my 06?
3. is there a performance mopar cat back system available yet?
4.will the corsa system that i put on my 06 also fit the 08?
5. is corsa or borla manufacturing the exhaust for mopar aftermarket or ome?

Question #5 from Art 138: Side Sills: will these be easier to take off on the 08?... compared to the 03-06 side-sill 10mm nut closest the front wheel arch which is difficult to access and remove.

Question #6 from doctorbob: It seems a lot of Viper owners change the exhaust system in short order. Unless there are emissions issues (which I am sure is probably the answer)... if you can have color options, interior options... why not exhaust options? I am sure a number owners are looking at that NA 675 h.p. show car and seeing what can be easily exchanged on the car to push the horsepower.

Question #7 from viperbilliam: In what areas did the new Viper gain weight? Has the interior heat management been addressed?

Interior heat management has improved due to the elimination of the exhaust crossover pipe, a more effective cooling module, and the relocated hood louvers. The new hood louvers are in a lower pressure area of the hood, making them more effective at extracting hot underhood air.

For weight info, see answer to question #8.

Question #8 (okay, a couple) from rcl4668:

1) Has the 2008 Viper in fact gained weight? It seems that some component changes would result in weight loss: For example, elimination of crossover pipe in the exhaust system, switching from runflat Michelin Pilot Sport ZP tires to nonrunflat Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires.

2) If Viper has gained weight or is the same weight as the 2003-2006 models, what accounts for that? What other components have gotten heavier to offset the weight reductions above?

The 2008 Viper is nearly identical to the 2006 model in terms of weight. The '08 engine gained weight due to VVT and other modifications (and also gained 90 HP!). The '08 trans is slightly heavier due to 10% larger gears and other mod's for increased torque capacity. The '08 diff is also slightly heavier (4 pinion vs 2 pinion), again to handle the increased torque. These weight increases are offset by the elimination of the exhaust crossover pipe, the new Michelin PS2 non-run flat tires, and a slightly lighter cooling module (electric vs hydraulic fans).

The combined weight of the '08 dual disk clutch and flywheel is approximately the same as the 2006 combination, but inertia is reduced, pedal effort is reduced, and torque capacity is increased.

Question #9 from 06blackviper: will there still be a gas guzzler tax in 2008 listed on the m.s.r.p.?

Question #10 from Andrew/USPWR: I’ve owned a 2000 GTS and currently own a 2005 SRT/10. I’m 6’2’’ and in both cars I’ve had too put in an aftermarket seat lowering kit, to improve my visibility out of the windshield. Any talk of this issue at DCX?

Question #11 from FASTFUN: I have a 2006. I have added Corsa exhaust witch has eliminated the cross over. The driver’s side exhaust manifold was changed out because it had a crack, when I had my Corsa installed. The driver’s side shows a lot more carbon build up than the passenger side (300 miles). My viper tech stated that the computer needs to learn (1,000 miles) from possibly compensating for the cracked manifold. I do not have any check engine light.I have about 2600 miles on my Viper. Please advise!:usa:
P.S. I LOVE MY VIPER!!!!!!!!!!!:drive:

Question #12 (more a comment/request than a question) from Camfab: Ok, at VOI 9, I spoke with the rep from Mopar Performance about the disappereance and lack of GEN II performance parts. Yes I understand that many original owners infact did not purchase these products. Many of the GEN II vehicles have now switched hands, secondary owners like myself who, A) Actually work on cars B) Crave OEM performance parts. Please reintroduce these parts or at least provide a means, for us performance nuts to get our hands on some parts.

Some examples of previously available products would include,
Performance Engine Controller
GTSR headers
Differential cooler
ACR Wheels
ACR Koni Shocks

Of course some good old fashion optional camshafts would be nice as well, especially in a packaged form. Seriously, I want to race this car, but parts purchased from the dealer level at non performance part pricing are completely out of line. No weekend warrior is going to spend $12,000 for a spare set of ACR wheels. Come on guys, make it viable to represent the Viper. If you can do it for the Neon, you certainly can make it happen for the Viper.

Question #13 from ssnaked: How can I improve transmission performance in 2006 Coupe? I have installed a short shifter and experimented with different shifter springs. There is some improvement with stiffer springs but shifting is sticky at best and can be tricky during threshold braking. Will the new 2008 transmission fit a 2006?

The transmission will fit , but, you need to change the clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel and the prop shaft as they have all been updated to handle the added torque. It comes with a shorter shifter.

Question #14 from arjay: Without compromising 'secrets', could you give us some idea for potential cost-effective up-grades to the coming 2008 srt/10 to achieve another 75/100 hp ... such as intake, exhaust, computer, or will we have to change internals such as cam, etc.
If possible, will Mopar parts be available to achieve these goals?
When I picked up my 2004 from the factory, I was told in a technical seminar that the 2004 had a 'cushion' of about another 100+ horsepower built into it to accomodate any up-grades we might add that would not 'compromise' the integrity of the motor/drive-train. Is this also true of the coming 2008?
Thank You, Robert Jacobs

Question #15, also from arjay: I am on my fourth viper. I am wondering if the cabin heat problem was addressed and fixed on the coming 2008 SRT/10. My 2004 seems to get very hot in the cabin only in slow/stalled traffic. Your comments are appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And yes folks, the chat is now OPEN for your questions! I would like to welcome the folks from SRT and look forward to spending the next couple hours learning more about the car that we have all grown to love over the years.

FASTFUN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Question is #11Question #11 from FASTFUN: I have a 2006. I have added Corsa exhaust witch has eliminated the cross over. The driver’s side exhaust manifold was changed out because it had a crack, when I had my Corsa installed. The driver’s side shows a lot more carbon build up than the passenger side (300 miles). My viper tech stated that the computer needs to learn (1,000 miles) from possibly compensating for the cracked manifold. I do not have any check engine light.I have about 2600 miles on my Viper. Please advise!:usa:

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, if they are a little slow to answer it is because we loaded them up with pre-questions - forgetting they couldn't type answers with the thread closed. :eek: I fully expect a pie in the face the next time I swing through Detroit...

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are here - just remember that they are engineers and not forum groupies like us, so they can't type 85 words a minute with two fingers like the rest of us... ;)

srtengineers
question_icon.gif
Replying to Thread 05:10 PM
SRT Live Chat - June 13th at 6:00 PM EDT - be here!

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
5. Will the flat repair device from the SRT 8's be used in the 2008 Viper? We are using a simular kit with a larger compressor and sealant bottle. This kit is designed around the Viper rear tires

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
9. What is the MSRP of the 2008 base model before customization?

We haven't finalized pricing yet, but expect a slight increase over '06. This 90 HP gain will cost a lot less than any aftermarket 90 HP improvement.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
My Question is #11Question #11 from FASTFUN: I have a 2006. I have added Corsa exhaust witch has eliminated the cross over. The driver’s side exhaust manifold was changed out because it had a crack, when I had my Corsa installed. The driver’s side shows a lot more carbon build up than the passenger side (300 miles). My viper tech stated that the computer needs to learn (1,000 miles) from possibly compensating for the cracked manifold. I do not have any check engine light.I have about 2600 miles on my Viper. Please advise!:usa:

If the crack was admitting air into the manifold upstream of the O2 sensor the computer would attempt to add more fuel. That would explain the extra carbon buildup. The ECU will trim that fuel out after the repair is completed.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Many of us will probably switch to the new tires. When will this kit be available and how much will it cost?

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
8. Does the 2008 use the same window regulator? If not, what was changed? Some of us have had to change out the regulators because one or both did not properly raise and/ or lower the window(s) on door opening and/or closing.

Yes, the whole door is the same as the 2006.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm currently swapping to Jeff Mory's Striker heads, during the engine and tranny removal process I noticed one of the U-joints in the driveshaft didn't feel quite right. My question is this, according to the factory service manual I must not use a Spicer part with the exact same part number unless it's from Dodge. Is this true? Is their some special heat treat etc. on this u-joint? Can't I purchase one with the same part # from Spicer? The reason I'm asking is because the dealer wanted $200 for a single u-joint. Way out of line! 2000 ACR

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Question #5 from Art 138: Side Sills: will these be easier to take off on the 08?... compared to the 03-06 side-sill 10mm nut closest the front wheel arch which is difficult to access and remove.

No, the fasteners for the 08 sills are the same.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
10. I understand that there are currently 2008 Vipers in build status. Is this true? If so, will the 2008 be available before September?

The only '08s in build status are ours - Engineering, Marketing, PR, etc. A lucky few might see some cars in September, however.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Question #3 from doctorbob: Is the travel of the 2008 stick shifter similar to that of the aftermarket Hurst short shifter on my 2003 viper? Is the stick itself shorter?

Ques 3.......the new shifter has a slightly shorter throw but not by much. Not sure how it compares to the Hurst part. The stick is the same part........

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
9. What is the MSRP of the 2008 base model before customization? We have not finalized the 08 pricing yet but it is fair to say that it will be in the same ball park as the 06 car.

10. I understand that there are currently 2008 Vipers in build status. Is this true? If so, will the 2008 be available before September? There are and have been Vipers in build status since we always build a number of pilots before we begin production of customer cars. There will be customer cars available before September from the plant but what dealers they will be to by then is impossible to say.

Question #9 from 06blackviper: will there still be a gas guzzler tax in 2008 listed on the m.s.r.p.? We have not finished the required certification yet but there will surely be some gas guzzler tax.
These questions will be answered by multiple individuals.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can we expect a more "raw" feeling when driving this car? The SRT was almost too civilized and I think that attracted folks that got in over their heads as witnessed by the number of accidents that we've seen (i.e. they should have gotten the M-B or Caddy XLR). If the car is a little more of a handful on the test drive -and maybe not so accommodating - perhaps we can **** out the non-enthusiast buyer. My GTS felt MUCH more on the edge than my SRT - and the SRT was much easier to put into service as a daily driver.

If the answer is no, that it's still a peach to drive, will you ask Herb about Homelink again?

;)

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Question #1 - From rcl4668 - "I have a 2008 Viper convertible on order and am interested in installing the Mopar aftermarket parts that were shown at the Detroit (and other) auto shows this past winter. What is the current status/availability of the following Mopar parts:

- Tubular Exhaust Header Package
- High-flowing, Cat-Back Exhaust System; and
- Low-restriction, functional Cold Air Intake System

I have also been informed that the installation of the following non-Mopar parts from SRT that were featured on the Detroit concept coupe will void the vehicle warranty:

- Titanium Valves and Connecting Rods
- Cast Litex Pistons and Lightened Crankshaft
- High Flow Intake Manifold with Polished Upper
- Carbon Fiber Coil Covers and Crinkle Black Valve Covers

These and our items are under consideration but we can't give you specific timing yet.

Question #2 (okay, a LOT more than one question) - From Bobpantax -
"1. What new parts from the 2008 can be used in the 2003 through 2006 cars? I understand the new rear end is a plug and play swap.

2. Will the new hood fit without modification of the brackets, etc.?

3. Will the new larger oil pump be a simple swap out? I heard that it will be possible to use it but additional mods are needed - what mods?

4. I heard that the new clutch and transmission will not fit the 2003 through 2006 cars. Is this correct? Is it possible to use some of the parts of the 2008 transmission to improve the performance of the 2003 through 2006 transmissions, e.g. cones and synchros?

Questions 1-3: The answer to this and a lot of other parts is yes. Again, stay tuned.

11. Will the new computer in the 2008 be tunable within the module or will tuners be locked out of the code?

The answer to this is the Venom system is even more complex than today's controller.

12. I understand that with a little computer reprogramming that the 2008 engine is capable of close to 700 flywheel HP while maintaining a safe air fuel ratio. Is this correct?
How much additional flywheel HP over 600 is safely, from an engine integrity point of view, available from the new engine?

See answer to #11.

13. I have heard that because of the VVT, the cam within a cam, the higher compression ratio, and the much more complicated new programming that it is unlikely that a simple, reliable supercharger upgrade like the current Paxton kit for the 2003 through 2006 cars will be availble for at least 18 months to two years. And, even when it is available, it will not be simple since the engine will have to be modified to lower the compression before the use of a supercharger. Correct?

See answer to #11.

Question #12 (more a comment/request than a question) from Camfab: Ok, at VOI 9, I spoke with the rep from Mopar Performance about the disappereance and lack of GEN II performance parts. Yes I understand that many original owners infact did not purchase these products. Many of the GEN II vehicles have now switched hands, secondary owners like myself who, A) Actually work on cars B) Crave OEM performance parts. Please reintroduce these parts or at least provide a means, for us performance nuts to get our hands on some parts.

Some examples of previously available products would include,
Performance Engine Controller
GTSR headers
Differential cooler
ACR Wheels
ACR Koni Shocks

Of course some good old fashion optional camshafts would be nice as well, especially in a packaged form. Seriously, I want to race this car, but parts purchased from the dealer level at non performance part pricing are completely out of line. No weekend warrior is going to spend $12,000 for a spare set of ACR wheels. Come on guys, make it viable to represent the Viper. If you can do it for the Neon, you certainly can make it happen for the Viper.

Can't make any promises but thanks for the suggestions

See our answers above

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The only '08s in build status are ours - Engineering, Marketing, PR, etc. A lucky few might see some cars in September, however.

I can understand the engineers getting them but marketing and PR? The best marketing would be to get some loaners out to some of us in different geographic locations and let us show them off at car events and VCA meetings. Since I am in Miami, let me be the first to volunteer.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know that the Venom programming is very complex. Does this mean that the answer to my question is that tuners will be locked out of the code by the mere complexity of the program or intentionally as part of the program?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456