'06 SRT Coupe w/ 2700 Miles is HOME!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
\'06 SRT Coupe w/ 2700 Miles is HOME!

Just pulled in from a 2736 mile SRT-Coupe tour in my new '06. WOW ! Lots of THUMBS UP from an admiring public. Did the gentle break in thing for 1200 miles or so. It used only .25 qt (one fourth of a qt) of oil in 2700 miles.

MPG when my co-pilot drove was 21.6. During my legs we saw a few bursts to mid-triple digits, and long stretches at triple. Valentine One is like diplomatic immunity.

The fit and finish is PERFECT. BEAUTIFUL. The stripes could use a sanding, or more clear...the edge is too prominent. I may have the car clear-coated to preserve this 'crystal' finish. NEW STYTLING QUES abound....distinct highlights in ROOFLINE and FENDERS that give the car a nice 'edgy' look. VERY NICE. The rear spoiler seems to have a higher reach and more curvature around the ends. The rear is LESS FLAT than the cconcept at VOI and car-shows. The rear bumper cover abounds with styling ques. The rear diffuser-extractor is very "competition like" and WILL be eating curbs of back-in parkers.

The COUPE is very, very stable at high speed....and even in VISCIOUS crosswinds. The tires are aligned for max tire wear, so rut-tracking is a problem in "studded tire ruts" out West. A mild track-alignment a guaranteed FIRST on my list. We had a lot of rain....some frost. Car handled wet like a dream. No water leaks.

The chassis is stiff yet compliant....no rattles or squeeks at all. Some annoying wind noises above 70mph around R side mirror area, esp when crosswinds at work. Cockpit was NOT uncomfortably hot.

The rear deck takes a LOT of manhandle to close. I almost NEVER got it closed the 1st time. I am NOT complaining.....just commenting. You WILL have to get used to this until age sets in. NICE AND TIGHT.

When you Raise the WET DECKLID, as after a carwash or rain, you will want to do this slowly. This allows the water to drain away as strategically designed. But Crosswinds will blow water into the trunk area. Trunk capacity seems smaller than the GTS, a bit larger than SRT-10.

Nice side-hinged glove box atop the console. The First Edition 200, all Blue-White, come with a striped car cover and nice floor mats, "long spoke" special wheels, blue leather highlights and interior badging, and blue stitching everywhere, and Viper seat Embroidery. The rear extractor, and diffuser strakes are "Blackout" instead of body color. This First Edition Package is +$4995.
Then, Blue/WHITE Stripes RETIRE for '06... add stripes to BLUE add they will be SILVER.

Lots of coupes were being lined up for Reliable Carriers shipment later this week. Some few lucky CAAP pickups were also scheduled for NEXT week.

THANKS TO LOTS OF FOLKS at Dodge and JRThompson who made it possible for "Lightning to Strike Twice" with the CAAP pickup of my '06. DETAILS:

-2nd customer unit built; 1st unit delivered. 007 / 200 is the "First Edition" dash plaque. The first 10 cars drew from 1-10....the remaining 190 drew from 11-200. Some few 'special requests' were also honored within 200.

- The CAAP pickup was arranged by Kim and Beth at JRThompson...(VCA HQ.) THANKS!
Lots of details, MI State taxes (!), info on hotels, maps, tours, etc. Each VIPER buyer pays $835 transportation charges on the MSRP-Moroni sticker. A buyer in Detroit or Alaska pays the same. So does a CAAP pickup. The $800+ pays Dodge's expenses for the CAAP program. WORTH EVERY CENT!

- Ralph Gilles, the Coupe designer, was simply OVERLY GENEROUS and gracios with his time. Months ago he asked me to let him know when my Coupe was comiing, and I let him know. He showed up at CAAP to sign my window sticker and the car, and HE drove it thru the ship room to the load-out door and handed me the keays. He says it was 'like being there for the birth of your own baby' and he was truly EXCITED to be a part. WHAT A GUY! WHAT A COMPANY !

-Special Thanks to Michael M of VCA Motor City who came and took photos, some for Viper Mag... THANKS MICHAEL for posting some !

-Back on June 8 1996 I was the 1st CAAP pickup ever, whebI got my 96 GTS, the 1st retail delivery ever. So, lightning has struck TWICE, THANKS DODGE!

-The pickup last week was on the 10th anniversary of CAAP Operations!

-Lots of great CAAP folks were very kind. Especially MC, KB, and SC! An auto-professionals 40-woman tour was being led by the the plant manager (Sandra), who introduced us to this group, and had me try to explain this PASSSION we all share. Hard to do when your new coupe is steps away!

-After our 1-on-1 plant tour, the CAAP store had just begun its year-end 40% off sale, so we filled a couple large boxes and tithed to UPS.

-We then headed to ROUSH RACING to tour the COMP COUPE plant. Out front was a Blue/White FORD GT. We parked alongside. My co-driver Doris had just had a few track laps that very weekend in a Blue-White GT. So she was especially excited. Now Im NOT saying the building opened as if for a fire drill, but LOTS of folks came out to take the visual tour, including all the VCC guys.

We saw the ARCHER / VIPER DAYS / PARTSRACK VCA RAFFLE COUPE.... PLEASE do NOT buy a ticket for this beast! (My odds will go in the toilet.)

Gotta sleep now...... back to work tomorrow. THANKS for all the questions and best wishes in Michael's thread.....

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Re: \'06 SRT Coupe w/ 2700 Miles is HOME!

Great story, and Ralph is the real deal --- great comments about his enthusiasm, as he is a genuine talent we will hear alot about in the future. We heard the co-pilot was pushing 22 mpg, are you saying that when you had the afterburners on it dropped,ha,ha?!?

I can just imagine the " Anticipation Anxiety, " this article has caused the other 199 lucky owners - maybe it was too well written, hehe.

Thanks for the effort and I enjoyed the trip back to Washington with you , as I am sure many others did, too. :2tu:

Best Wishes ,
Bill Pemberton
Woodhouse Viper

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score

great write up. please post some more pics!

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jon: I am getting old--I remember when you got the 96 like it was yesterday. Sound like the passion has not worn thin. Congrats on the new snake. I love hearing first ride stories-reminds me of my deliveries from Bill P. The anticipation is the most fun. Now , please, for the sake of all of us, go back to being a complete **** on the phone. If you don't put me on hold, I will be sorely disappointed. I thrive on this and will be calling you soon to order something I don't need . TERRY

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jon.

007 INDEED! I guess from now on you will introduce yourself as...BROBST, Jon Brobst.

Thanks for sharing the experience. We were able to vicariously share your trip in the first delivered Viper. I also share your enthusiasm for the BW color scheme. Glad Dodge decided to do a special run of them.

Wonder how many e-mails you will have waiting for you when you get back to the office. Grab a cup of coffee, and dig in.

Enjoy your new coupe...I'm envious.

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score

More pics, less words. :D Nice write up, Jon. Cant wait to see one in person.

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks Jon. I find it interesting to hear how the dash plaques were assigned. I guess I can still hope for number 001/200. According to previous posts, numbers 5,7 and 9 belong to someone else. Oh, the anticipation!

Bob K

Viper 24

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Jon,

Great story, it's nice to see the first one out of the gate get a good road test. Sounds like the co-pilot spent most of his time driving during the break in period :ooo:

Now that you are back to work, please ship my Spring Caps that I ordered last week. Dan C. is waiting to install, and I am getting anxious to get my car back. He's had it for two months, like to test out the new ride and blower.

Enjoy the new coupe - post some pics after you ship my order :2tu:

jm

ivanrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jon,

Congrats on your factory pick-up. I have one coming as well, but not as fortunate as you to do another FPU. I do remember though, when you you did pick up your 96 GTS, you loaded it on a special open trailer, with special wheels, being towed by your 96 Indy Ram. So, NOT TO RAIN ON YOUR PARADE, but you didn't actually drive your car out of CAAP. You trailered it out. So, what does that mean...You weren't the first one to drive it out of CAAP! (Paul H, correct me if I'm wrong)I think I was. ;-)

Anyway, post some photos of that set up here, as well as your new SRT Coupe and the room full of Coupes here. We want to drool. Enjoy it in great health!

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

Great Story! Thanks Jon!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

great write up. please post some more pics!
More pic's? I don't see ANY pics. Am I missing something?
Jon B, get the camera out and start snapping!

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Congratulations Jon! :2tu: Great story. Thanks for sharing!

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wow, I didn't realize these cars were even released yet. It seems all I have been hearing is Z06 this and Z06 that. I am surprised more people are not more excited. I am guessing if it had 600 hp like it should have there would be alot more of a buzz. Post some pics, I would love to see it. :2tu:

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Here are the pics from the factory pick up:

(copied from another thread)

You must be registered for see images

-J

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jon: Those look like 05 Comm Editions in the background. Is that possible? Why would they still be there?

OP
OP
J

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

I am very computer-challenged. I have some nice shots I Emailed to VIPER32 to post. THANKS

My copilot DORIS is also my CPA....she owns a 2001 RT. Guess what SHE did when she got home after 2733 miles: SHE WENT FOR A VIPER DRIVE IN HER VIPER to quickly compare them. Now THAT'S Enthusiasm! She had a few track laps in a blue/white FordGT last week at PIR. What a gal.

I checked in w/ CAAP today to thank them again, and found that several RELIABLE TRUCKS full of 06 Coupes have left the plant early this week, and more are booked to leave later this week, and for most days thereafter. By 10/31 they shall have shipped 130+.

Oldie IVAN is correct: on 6/8/96 I claimed the 1st GTS out the door, but it was behind my matching Indy Ram, on an OPEN trailer. White Wheels! BEAUTIFUL SIGHT. In Iowa, a Bi-Plane couple actually dropped alongside from the sky to film me zooming along a highway! The Blu/White pair and story was published in papers in IL, CA and OR and Viper Quarterly. I still have the GTS.

YES, There were several COMMEM EDITIONS, and a couple all-blue LIMITED SRT10s, and even Copperheads at CAAP.... SOLD but not yet shipped due to scheduling stuff. CAAP needs 6 cars to go to / toward a ZONE (27-29 zones?) to get em moving. THAT IS A PRIMARY REASON I did a CAAP pickup... WA/Oregon is a LOW VOLUME zone! I could have waited weeks and weeks for my 'early' car.

PS, we did stop at ROANOKE DODGE but could not make it to WOODHOUSE (Closed Sundays) But we had a fond thought as we blasted below 75 miles..........

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Congrats Jon - I know you'll love this blue and white car too! Maybe you'll have to let me drive your car at the next VOI? ;)

OP
OP
J

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Congrats Jon - I know you'll love this blue and white car too! Maybe you'll have to let me drive your car at the next VOI? ;)

Me Keysa Su Keysa...... [I was Viper-less at VOI-6...Janni loaned me her '96 GTS for a DAY. We had only just met. WHAT A GAL! Only the ESKIMOS are more generous...]

PS Janni, you met my Ma...now 83....we stopped for 90 minutes to see her on this ride. Her actual first words after hellos were : "Break it in carefully.....don't be speeding"

Warp10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jon:
Congrats. Nice ride! Did you take the northern highway (I-90) home, or did you take a more southern route?

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Here are some more pics from JonB, the trip home!

Wow!

Awesome JonB!

-J

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jon,

That is truly the way to break in a car! Congratulations on your new Viper, and thanks for sharing your experience with us!