06 Viper Coupe being delivered tomorrow - with keys inside - HELP!

pacethis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently purchased a 2006 Viper coupe at an insurance auction, and it's being delivered tomorrow on a truck transport. It has very little damage, and looks to be a great car (just needs a little TLC).
You must be registered for see images

At any rate, the car is supposed to run/drive, but the transport driver says the keys are secured to the steering column (common at these auctions to keep people from stealing them), and the doors are "locked", at least says the driver.

I haven't had a newer viper (had a 94 RT/10 many years ago), and don't know how the doors work. Do they have an exterior door handle (the RT/10's didn't, you reached through the window - but this car has real windows, lol). The driver did say the driver side window was cracked maybe an inch.

So, tomorrow I get to go unload it, but have no idea the best way to get in...(it was loaded with a forklift). Any ideas would be much appreciated!

OP
OP
P

pacethis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, if anyone here knows any history on this car, I'd love to hear it. Damage doesn't look too bad, though sometimes you find more once it gets delivered...it was considered a "total loss" for the insurance company. It's coming out of the Los Angeles area, has 30k miles.

OP
OP
P

pacethis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you do not mind we asking, what did that car end up going for at auction?

I don't mind you asking...though I'm not disclosing that info at this point. I think I got a reasonable buy on it, we'll see when I get to see it and look all systems over. I will say it was between 30-40k, plus shipping and auction fees.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
There is a way, hood open, to jump-wire the hatch-opening relay. Be ready to pull the horn relay underhood when you open it or the horn honks throughout. I suspect that is Indy-Steve's solution.

PS: What is the "PACETHIS" meaning?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Actually, to be SURE...especially if there has been any damage...I would use a posted JonB solution.

Take your paper work to a C-J-D dealer along with the VIN and have a cheap key cut on the spot.

Call me if you wish.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It looks like both front wheels are damaged and possibly F&R suspension on the passenger side. If the door ajar is because of the hit along with the fascia I would guess there are at least $7800 (plus tires if they are damaged) in visible parts alone. Trade in value for a pristine 06' is about $49K so I sure hope you were closer to $30K than anything if not under for a salvaged titled car.

OP
OP
P

pacethis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, to be SURE...especially if there has been any damage...I would use a posted JonB solution.

Take your paper work to a C-J-D dealer along with the VIN and have a cheap key cut on the spot.

Call me if you wish. 317-402-9013

I'm assuming I won't be able to get the hood open as the cabin is locked. Once I can get into the cabin, I'll have the keys...

I can try getting another key cut, though title is coming in with the transporter, and I'll need to unload it from his transporter as quickly as possible so he can get on his way.

I may give you a call a bit later.

Thanks,
Josh

V

Venomiss

Are you buying this to keep or fix and sell?

Coming from LA to ?

OP
OP
P

pacethis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a way, hood open, to jump-wire the hatch-opening relay. Be ready to pull the horn relay underhood when you open it or the horn honks throughout. I suspect that is Indy-Steve's solution.

PS: What is the "PACETHIS" meaning?

Thanks, anyway to open the hood with a locked car?
BTW, Pacethis is my username on multiple forums, got use to using the same one...I've had numerous Indy Pace vehicles...several 98 Indy Corvettes, a 96 Dodge Indy Truck, and currently a 5k mile Indy Fiero.

It looks like both front wheels are damaged and possibly F&R suspension on the passenger side. If the door ajar is because of the hit along with the fascia I would guess there are at least $7800 (plus tires if they are damaged) in visible parts alone. Trade in value for a pristine 06' is about $49K so I sure hope you were closer to $30K than anything if not under for a salvaged titled car.

I noted damage to the left wheels, didn't see any on the right (I have more pictures). I have already ordered the left wheels and they're in my foyer awaiting the car. Until it's here, I won't have a complete list of damage, though I personally suspect the doors are open because of not wanting to get locked out (keys are visibly secured to column in these pictures). Also, the transporter said the keys are "locked" inside, which implied the doors are shutting correctly.

I'm comfortable with the price I paid, no worries. I just rebuilt a 2008 Corvette Z06 (Atomic Orange), and was looking for the next project.

I really appreciate all the input from everyone. I'm excited about the project! It looks like Blue/Silver in the pics...my favorite is the blue/white, so it's quite close. I think I have a buyer for it as soon as it is finished, though we shall see :)

OP
OP
P

pacethis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you buying this to keep or fix and sell?

Coming from LA to ?

Fix/sell...though the reason I technically bought this project over others I'm more familiar (ie Corvettes) with is so I can play with the Viper for a bit before selling. I think I have a buyer already in the UK (same guy that bought the 08 Z06 I just finished).

OP
OP
P

pacethis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would have suggested that you know the VIN before making the final deal. Maybe call seller???

I have the VIN. Insurance auctions will NOT release VIN's before the sale is complete, however. Not sure why they have the policy...but it's been that way for many years. Obviously you can get them if you see the car in person before bidding, though that's not always possible when trying to buy these cars due to their location vs. mine.

BTW, I'm in Simpsonville, SC.

OP
OP
P

pacethis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took my receipt for payment to the dealer and was able to get a key cut by VIN. Let's just hope it works.

Steve-Indy - I didn't see your phone number, though it would come in handy if for some reason the VIN-cut-key won't open the hatch...

Can't wait for it to get here, now that the stress of unloading is eased a bit :)

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where in the UK is it heading.. Hatch can be opened from the inside.. Hood from the outside..

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Pretty much thinking the same thing. That has some expensive parts damage not to mention the labor. Definitely a little more than TLC. Looks nice, hope it works out.

OP
OP
P

pacethis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty much thinking the same thing. That has some expensive parts damage not to mention the labor. Definitely a little more than TLC. Looks nice, hope it works out.

I appreciate the thoughts on repair guys, though I'm quite comfortable with the financial risk involved, and having the repairs completed. However, I'm also good at what I do. I outsource most of the repairs to local shops, and source the parts personally to keep costs down. I do final detailing, advertising, sales/marketing. For instance, I just picked up a pair of the sidewinder rims in perfect condition for half what they would cost at a dealer. I have a source for an OEM front bumper for $675...etc. The shops I use don't spend $5k/mo on commercial locations - but likewise keep their costs down and are able to pass that savings to me, especially when I can provide a consistent line of business to add to their incomes.

For me, this appears to be a very easy fix. That's not to say I expect it all to buff out magically :) The Z06 I just repaired was a total loss with an estimate to repair at 49k. My TOTAL costs were $7-8k, plus about 2 weeks of my time (spread over several months). The repairs are fabulous, and were done at ASE certified shops.

I'm very excited, haven't had a viper to play with in a long time...

OP
OP
P

pacethis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the way, here's the last project I did. 2008 Z06, 10k miles. Here is the before shot:
You must be registered for see images attach

And here is the car after repairs were made:

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
By the way, here's the last project I did. 2008 Z06, 10k miles. Here is the before shot:

And here is the car after repairs were made:

Funny looking Viper. It must be or it wouldn't be on here!

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I appreciate the thoughts on repair guys, though I'm quite comfortable with the financial risk involved, and having the repairs completed. However, I'm also good at what I do. I outsource most of the repairs to local shops, and source the parts personally to keep costs down. I do final detailing, advertising, sales/marketing. For instance, I just picked up a pair of the sidewinder rims in perfect condition for half what they would cost at a dealer. I have a source for an OEM front bumper for $675...etc. The shops I use don't spend $5k/mo on commercial locations - but likewise keep their costs down and are able to pass that savings to me, especially when I can provide a consistent line of business to add to their incomes.

For me, this appears to be a very easy fix. That's not to say I expect it all to buff out magically :) The Z06 I just repaired was a total loss with an estimate to repair at 49k. My TOTAL costs were $7-8k, plus about 2 weeks of my time (spread over several months). The repairs are fabulous, and were done at ASE certified shops.

I'm very excited, haven't had a viper to play with in a long time...
Apparently you don't know who Mjorgensen is. Along with everything else he is a classroom and track instructor and a contract driver. Not a more knowledgeable person could have commented on that Viper. Anyway, good luck! Hope it turns out!

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For instance, I just picked up a pair of the sidewinder rims in perfect condition for half what they would cost at a dealer.
Just and FYI, Sidewinders and 5-spokes are two different wheels, your car has the 5-spokes.
I hope you got either four sidewinders or two 5-spokes, I'm not sure how the car would look with a mixed set on there.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FORKLIFT!?
Cant imagine doing that to a Viper with the low side sills....:crazy2:

OP
OP
P

pacethis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apparently you don't know who Mjorgensen is. Along with everything else he is a classroom and track instructor and a contract driver. Not a more knowledgeable person could have commented on that Viper. Anyway, good luck! Hope it turns out!

No, I don't know most of you out here, though I respect your opinions and advice - which is why I started this thread. I didn't say he/she was wrong on any advice either, I only stated my own opinions on the repair process. Given the fact that I've purchased well over 100 salvage vehicles qualifies me in that area.

I've stated time and time again that my viper specific knowledge is lacking. For instance, on the rims, I referenced them by the wrong name. I ordered the wheels that match those on the car.

OP
OP
P

pacethis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FORKLIFT!?
Cant imagine doing that to a Viper with the low side sills....:crazy2:

They're quite use to doing it on these vehicles, that's their business. However, they use longer forks, and pick them up from the front/rear (not the sides). The forklifts are specifically designed to pick up cars w/o damaging them hundreds of times per day.