06 Viper Coupe being delivered tomorrow - with keys inside - HELP!

Reaction score
No worries Pacethis and if you have any specific questions just drop me a note and I am always willing to help, customer of mine or not.

Good luck it looks like you do great work.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Vette looks pretty good after your repairs, at least from the top. Good luck with the Viper hope it turns out as well. If you test drive it after you repair it treat it with respect or you may well end up having to repair it again. :drive:

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love the color of the vette!!

I don't have the knowledge of the others here but that looks like a fun project. From my limited experience it seems vipers are pretty easy to work on.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sounds like you know what you are doing. Of course, that doesn't stop the opinions. :D Welcome to the VCA, Pacethis.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
keep us posted on the rebuild

sure you know this, the vendors on this site are the best for new or used parts

sounds like fun

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I appreciate the thoughts on repair guys, though I'm quite comfortable with the financial risk involved, and having the repairs completed. However, I'm also good at what I do. I outsource most of the repairs to local shops, and source the parts personally to keep costs down. I do final detailing, advertising, sales/marketing. For instance, I just picked up a pair of the sidewinder rims in perfect condition for half what they would cost at a dealer. I have a source for an OEM front bumper for $675...etc. The shops I use don't spend $5k/mo on commercial locations - but likewise keep their costs down and are able to pass that savings to me, especially when I can provide a consistent line of business to add to their incomes.......

Sidewinder wheels are NOT what's on that salvage Viper....Correct advice from Mark or others here: PRICELESS!

PS: PartsRack can provde a new front bumper cover for $500.......

Good Luck

Last edited:

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
but likewise keep their costs down and are able to pass that savings to me

My favorite line in the whole thread!

Reminds me of the old saying....

"We cheat those other guys and pass the savings on to you!" :lmao:

Welcome to the VCA.

Note to self.... make sure all 4 wheels are pointed straight before mashing the gas. Well... even that dosen't work with this car.... Becareful to start.... :drive:

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Since I'm in kind of a smart a$$ mood (and he posted a pic of a vette) - do we have any wagers/odds that he will have a hard time figuring out where the key hole is?

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

pacethis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No worries Pacethis and if you have any specific questions just drop me a note and I am always willing to help, customer of mine or not.

Good luck it looks like you do great work.
Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm open to doing business with any number of you guys!

The Vette looks pretty good after your repairs, at least from the top. Good luck with the Viper hope it turns out as well. If you test drive it after you repair it treat it with respect or you may well end up having to repair it again. :drive:
Actually, the repairs are at least as good underneath. The entire tub was replaced instead of repaired...hatch was replaced instead of repaired, etc. I even found replacement pieces in the same color, so that rolled edges, etc would match up to factory quality. There is some paintwork, but not much. I spent more money paying the shop to buff out what was there than I did in repainting.
Love the color of the vette!!

I don't have the knowledge of the others here but that looks like a fun project. From my limited experience it seems vipers are pretty easy to work on.
Thanks, the Atomic Orange really is a fantastic color...but the blue on the viper is perhaps even prettier! Nothing looks too complicated so far on the repairs...we shall see.

It sounds like you know what you are doing. Of course, that doesn't stop the opinions. :D Welcome to the VCA, Pacethis.
Thanks! Opinions certainly don't bother me...just adding my own to the mix :)
keep us posted on the rebuild

sure you know this, the vendors on this site are the best for new or used parts

sounds like fun
I really don't know much about most vendors on this site, though I'm sure to get acquainted with a few :)
Sidewinder wheels are NOT what's on that salvage Viper....Correct advice from Mark or others here: PRICELESS!

PS: PartsRack can provde a new front bumper cover for $500.......

Good Luck
Sounds great, is that an OEM bumper cover? Reproduction? Reman? Let me know, sounds like a deal. Shipping to 29681 business address? I'll need a few more parts on the build...a replacement steering rack, left wheel well, left exhaust chrome tip is what I noted today. Also, right wheels are curb'd, so I may either refinish or replace them (or the full set). I had seen "sidewinder" on a set of them on eBay, and mistakenly believed the seller was correct.
My favorite line in the whole thread!

Reminds me of the old saying....

"We cheat those other guys and pass the savings on to you!" :lmao:

Welcome to the VCA.

Note to self.... make sure all 4 wheels are pointed straight before mashing the gas. Well... even that dosen't work with this car.... Becareful to start.... :drive:
Actually, these shops are quite reasonable for their customer base.

Since I'm in kind of a smart a$$ mood (and he posted a pic of a vette) - do we have any wagers/odds that he will have a hard time figuring out where the key hole is?
Anyone want to take a wager that I found it quicker than most of you could find the keyhole on a modern Z06?

Actually, it was quite quick/easy. I opened the hatch with the new dealer key and got a hook to open the door (couldn't quite fit through the small opening).
Now, now Rocket..... be nice.....:cool::cool:
:)

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Glad it worked out easily for you!!

Good luck with this project...please keep us posted.

By the way, don't do too good of a job or you will be in danger of liking/loving/keeping the Viper!!! :)

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
:rolleyes: Or you could use the keyhole on the door just under the mirror.

OK - enough giving the newbie a hard time :D. Welcome to the club. I rebuilt my Viper and it was a lot of fun. Always seems to be just a little more damage than you were expecting - so good luck. This board can be an incredible resource - just need to check some of the attitude.

Good luck with it!

Anyone want to take a wager that I found it quicker than most of you could find the keyhole on a modern Z06?

Actually, it was quite quick/easy. I opened the hatch with the new dealer key and got a hook to open the door (couldn't quite fit through the small opening).

:)

06blueviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have to applaud you - that was actually a pretty resourceful way to get in. The key hole on the door would have been much easier, of course, but MacGyver would be proud of your solution.

OP
OP
P

pacethis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:rolleyes: Or you could use the keyhole on the door just under the mirror.

OK - enough giving the newbie a hard time :D. Welcome to the club. I rebuilt my Viper and it was a lot of fun. Always seems to be just a little more damage than you were expecting - so good luck. This board can be an incredible resource - just need to check some of the attitude.

Good luck with it!
Oh...I guess that would have been easier :) I didn't see one at the handle area, and did see the one on the rear. I was probably biased from the recent Z06, as there is no keyed entry on the door. Doors are electronic just as the Viper, but only entry is to hatch via hidden key just above the license plate. Then once in the hatch, there's a manual door release cable.

Good to hear from someone else on the rebuild route - some turn their nose up at it...There's almost always something you can't see if buying sight unseen - it's best to count on an "in-case" budget. If it's not necessary, profit is higher, but when it's necessary you're glad you counted on an allowance...In my case, allowance was more for suspension and/or frame damage. Not sure on suspension until I get it in the air, though I did drive the car 1 mile today. Not everything was okay though, heavy left pull due to broken steering rack. I did eyeball the frame though and was pleasantly surprised to see everything was where it should be. It'll be checked by the frame guy, but looks good at this point. The balance of damage is generally where I expected it would be, certainly less than my "worst-case" scenario...
I have to applaud you - that was actually a pretty resourceful way to get in. The key hole on the door would have been much easier, of course, but MacGyver would be proud of your solution.
Sure, it's perfect for ol Mac :) He would come up with a special bomb to blow a door, might have been unlocked the whole time :)

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I'm getting the bug to start another project as it can be a labor of love. Let me know if I can offer any advice as my rebuild was just a tad bit more involved than yours looks to be:

Naked_Viper_21.JPG

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really don't know much about most vendors on this site, though I'm sure to get acquainted with a few :)

Sounds great, is that an OEM bumper cover? Reproduction? Reman? Let me know, sounds like a deal. Shipping to 29681 business address? I'll need a few more parts on the build...a replacement steering rack, left wheel well, left exhaust chrome tip is what I noted today. Also, right wheels are curb'd, so I may either refinish or replace them (or the full set).

So here's the first "acquaintance": Don't call JonB until you are ready to buy. especially on a Monday :D

OP
OP
P

pacethis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The feeling must be priceless when looking at the before and after of your project. Can't be just the money.

No, it's not just the money. In fact, I'm currently building an 07 Duramax C2500 Chevrolet that I'll make more money on. Those kind of projects pay the bills, but it's the love of the cars that draws me to cars like this viper :)

OP
OP
P

pacethis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are a couple photos after delivery yesterday :) It's in desperate need for a bath! As I suspected, both doors open/shut normally.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
looks like prior work, as well.. color and alignment on facia off/emblem missing.

OP
OP
P

pacethis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
looks like prior work, as well.. color and alignment on facia off/emblem missing.

color diff may be due to many shades of dirt/dust. Alignment obviously out on bumper due to current damage. Previous owner must have pulled the emblem? Could be prior work as well...I'll probably know more once the repairs get started (or at least after it gets a bath, lol :)

Last edited:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm open to doing business with any number of you guys!

Sounds great, is that an OEM bumper cover? Reproduction? Reman? Let me know, sounds like a deal. Shipping to 29681 business address? I'll need a few more parts on the build...a replacement steering rack, left wheel well, left exhaust chrome tip is what I noted today. Also, right wheels are curb'd, so I may either refinish or replace them (or the full set). I had seen "sidewinder" on a set of them on eBay, and mistakenly believed the seller was correct. ,,,,,,,

Ours are new OE body panels, less than 50% of MSRP. We don't have ANY reproduction parts... Glad you were able to avoid yet another flea-bay misrepresentation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper