08 ACR Viper still King of *normal* production cars for Lightning Lap in Car & Driver

msp282

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Lightning Lap is in the Feb 2013 Car and Driver.. despite all the talk of the 2013 Viper vs ZR1, the lightning lap is in there too..........

The 2008 ACR is still the 2nd fastest overall car, losing only to a Mosler MT900S (i personally have no idea where you buy one of those).

Track conditions can easily change from day to day let alone from year to year so I am not sure how meaningful these numbers are.

The 458 italia is pretty close even on michilin super sports instead of sport cups.

Pretty Awesome that 5 year old Viper still reigns (outside of a Mosler). I didn't read who did the driving. Hopefully a quality professional..?

I need to get the 2008 Lightning lap to see how much time they put into the suspension and alignment on the viper. Did they spend a pile of time and adjustments to make it VIR specific or did they just take a stock ACR off the showroom and head to the track?

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: 08 ACR Viper still King of *normal* production cars for Lightning Lap in Car & Dr

It should actually be the '10 ACR as the fastest production car. It beat the '08's time.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: 08 ACR Viper still King of *normal* production cars for Lightning Lap in Car & Dr

Lightning Lap is in the Feb 2013 Car and Driver.. despite all the talk of the 2013 Viper vs ZR1, the lightning lap is in there too..........

The 2008 ACR is still the 2nd fastest overall car, losing only to a Mosler MT900S (i personally have no idea where you buy one of those).

Track conditions can easily change from day to day let alone from year to year so I am not sure how meaningful these numbers are.

The 458 italia is pretty close even on michilin super sports instead of sport cups.

Pretty Awesome that 5 year old Viper still reigns (outside of a Mosler). I didn't read who did the driving. Hopefully a quality professional..?

I need to get the 2008 Lightning lap to see how much time they put into the suspension and alignment on the viper. Did they spend a pile of time and adjustments to make it VIR specific or did they just take a stock ACR off the showroom and head to the track?

Taken from Corvetteforum

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-...per-zr1-has-the-new-laguna-seca-record-5.html

Originally Posted by Metraman
You must be registered for see images attach

When we see the Car & Driver review in Feburary the Viper guys will be less happy.

riginally Posted by 4-Sho

Did Car & Driver announce something? What led you to that conclusion?

Originally Posted by Metraman

Yes that's all I can say right now.

bigmack339

Enthusiast
Reaction score

2010ACR = King of Vipers

All hail King ACR!

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm looking forward to seeing what the Gen5 can do once SRT releases the ACR version with the appropriate downforce required to start re-breaking the production car track records that it Still holds on so many tracks.:2tu:

Been posted before but FYI,

http://bridgetogantry.com/2/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=178&Itemid=300055

http://bridgetogantry.com/2/index.p...96-viper-takes-best-production-car-time-video

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The white car traveling across the country breaking the records was an 09 ACR. Not sure why the 2010 was not sent out.

Bruce

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score

2013 Car & Driver

Overall Lightning Lap times.
2:45.9 2009 Mosler MT900s
2.48.6 2008 Dodge Viper SRT10 Coupe ACR
2.49.8 2012 Mosler Photon
2.49.9 2012 Ferrari 458 Italia
2.50.7 2012 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1

The Ferrari was the only new entrant. All the other cars were tested on previous years. The Ferrari was loaded with $96,451 in options, nearly the cost of an ACR, not all of them were performance options.

I'm guessing any talk of disappointment in the Gen V vs ZR1 has already been covered. A bigger disappointment was the Lexus LFA, which did the LL in 2.55.1.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Maybe it should just be called the lexus LFA-IL :rolaugh:

OP
OP
M

msp282

Viper Owner
Reaction score

in fairness to the F458..it was on Super Sports (i think) so with some better tires it should get a better lap time than what they got.... but Viper still rocks! :)

2013 Car & Driver

Overall Lightning Lap times.
2:45.9 2009 Mosler MT900s
2.48.6 2008 Dodge Viper SRT10 Coupe ACR
2.49.8 2012 Mosler Photon
2.49.9 2012 Ferrari 458 Italia
2.50.7 2012 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1

The Ferrari was the only new entrant. All the other cars were tested on previous years. The Ferrari was loaded with $96,451 in options, nearly the cost of an ACR, not all of them were performance options.

I'm guessing any talk of disappointment in the Gen V vs ZR1 has already been covered. A bigger disappointment was the Lexus LFA, which did the LL in 2.55.1.

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah, but when the Ferrari rep says it is OK for C&D to crash the car in pursuing a 2:49 lap, you know something's a bit stacked.

Upon reading this I don't think Ferrari just hands over the keys to a press car and walks away.

http://jalopnik.com/5760248/how-ferrari-spins

"...the 360 Modena press car that was two seconds faster to 100mph than the customer car we also tested. You allow some leeway for "factory fresh" machines, but this thing was ludicrously quick and sounded more like Schumacher's weekend wheels than a street car. Ferrari will never admit that its press cars are tuned, but has the gall to turn up at any of the big European magazines' end-of-year-shindig-tests with two cars. One for straight line work, the other for handling exercises."

OP
OP
M

msp282

Viper Owner
Reaction score

wow... that is interesting..... i don't know how the ACR was setup.... hopefully factory alignment with suspension set on "track" settings and that was it..... amazing that Ferrari would use cheater test cars.... the world is full of cheaters.. lol

Yeah, but when the Ferrari rep says it is OK for C&D to crash the car in pursuing a 2:49 lap, you know something's a bit stacked.

Upon reading this I don't think Ferrari just hands over the keys to a press car and walks away.

http://jalopnik.com/5760248/how-ferrari-spins

"...the 360 Modena press car that was two seconds faster to 100mph than the customer car we also tested. You allow some leeway for "factory fresh" machines, but this thing was ludicrously quick and sounded more like Schumacher's weekend wheels than a street car. Ferrari will never admit that its press cars are tuned, but has the gall to turn up at any of the big European magazines' end-of-year-shindig-tests with two cars. One for straight line work, the other for handling exercises."

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Check out those 2008 ACR Numbers.
Come get your 2008 SRT ACR ******** before it is gone.
I have one left.With press
like this the 08 - 10 ACR's are worth more than the new SRT....

Chelseasnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

frank , did you get my pm about your voi car?

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score

frank , did you get my pm about your voi car?

Chelseasnake: I do not have your PM....you can email me @ [email protected]

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang