08 Belanger collector leak

Westxsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The 3 bolt Belanger header collector flange started leaking after 700 miles. I checked the bolts in the entire system and everything is still tight.
For those of you installing the new Belanger's on your 08's it might be a good idea to use a quality gasket on that flange. I just ordered a pair of "dead soft copper" gaskets and bolts from Jegs.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When it started leaking did you get a check engine light?

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went through this issue with my GenII Belanger headers. After trying the copper gaskets, hi temp silicone torquing and re-torquing the bolts I sent the headers back to Lou and had him re-machine the flange surfaces flat. No more leaks.

OP
OP
W

Westxsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When it started leaking did you get a check engine light?

Yes...code was 'too lean on rear o2' I have had codes thrown since the Belanger install.
I just got my car back from the dealer today, through the help of George Farris two of us 08 owners with Belangers had our cars flashed hoping to solve the CEL problem.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really want them on my 08 (had them on my earlyier GEN cars- dont like the stock sound )but leaking gaskets aside i am not sure i want to deal with CHE lights randomly popping up.

Reaction score
Seems like the use of the gaskets are what is causing the warpage from the over torquing. We use just the high temp silicone and don't have problems from the start. Once you bend the flange from flat you are pretty much going to leak without re flattening them.

Rick530

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I really want them on my 08 (had them on my earlyier GEN cars- dont like the stock sound )but leaking gaskets aside i am not sure i want to deal with CHE lights randomly popping up.
The CEL is whats keeps me rethinking buying them. Seems some have no problems at all, and others have had a few.

Kevin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 3 bolt Belanger header collector flange started leaking after 700 miles. I checked the bolts in the entire system and everything is still tight.
For those of you installing the new Belanger's on your 08's it might be a good idea to use a quality gasket on that flange. I just ordered a pair of "dead soft copper" gaskets and bolts from Jegs.

OP
OP
W

Westxsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Seems like the use of the gaskets are what is causing the warpage from the over torquing. We use just the high temp silicone and don't have problems from the start. Once you bend the flange from flat you are pretty much going to leak without re flattening them.

The system was installed per Belangers instructions with no gasket or sealant on the collector flanges. It didn't leak till a few months later. I believe he warpage occured over time with the heating and cooling cycles.

OP
OP
W

Westxsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have over 100 miles on the leak repair, the soft copper gaskets w/ RTV sealent seems to have worked out.

08 gts Viper blue coupe
05 SRT-10 Ram re. cab
VCA membership pending sence Feb. 08

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
2 sets of Belanger headers on both a Gen1 and Gen 3 with no issues what so ever with leaks or CEL..........there is a solution to every problem.