'08 Coupe Clone

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I finally got my car back tonight with an '08 hood w/tapered stripes. The car was painted by "Car Prep" in Fountain Valley CA. Car Prep does alot of work for various manufactures (including the one I work for) building/prepping auto show cars, etc, etc. Thanks to Steve and his team, one of the guys told me he had previously worked for Metalcrafters and helped build the prototype '06 coupe. I really liked the look on the '06 of HISS but I wanted to try and taper the stripes. HISS, thanks for all the posts on your car, we also used your idea on the vent screens, $20-$30 from Kragen.

While I was in Detroit last week, Steve also put a matching vent screen on the front scoop, he's never seen an '08 before and remarked that the opening is pretty big. I appreciate his efforts but I'll probably take it off soon.

Thanks to Tom, ROLSTAR, for the photoshop help, thanks to the many folks who helped me fund the project buying off my surplus parts, B767 DRIVER, CAMFAB, Dave in TN, etc.

08_right_side.JPG

Hard to see the front mesh on the scoop.

08_front.JPG

Underside mesh top and bottom

08_vents_top.JPG

08_underside.JPG

Drove the viper about 30 miles home tonight, at idle it is unreal how much hot air is pushed through the vents, especially the middle on each side. See it live at Willow springs this Saturday

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really like the look. They did great work.

The vent screens does take time to make but worth the effort and the cost saving is very nice. I think the stock screens cost near 600$ for both sides. Since it took two pieces of screens my cost was $70.00 and I now have some left over if I want to do the scoop screen.

The front scoop is very big. With the SC on my Viper and the flat filter I could run into a problem if I got caught in a heavy rain. I try not to drive my Viper in the rain but I have got caught a few times so I have given some thought to making a screen for the scoop-it would keep some of the water out.

I would like to see a close up pic of the scoop screen. I am Wondering how they fasten the screen on the under neath side??

OP
OP
redtanrt10

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to see a close up pic of the scoop screen. I am Wondering how they fasten the screen on the under neath side??

HISS, I'll try to send a picture in the next day or two. I looked at it quickly last night, they used 2 torque screws, left/right and seems like they could fold the top of the screen in a small cavity above the top of the scoop. The mesh is the same as the vents. (I was in Detroit last week then went skiing over the weekend so I barely got he car last night).

They are going to fabricate a hood pad, any tips from your end? How/where do you attach? Mike

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ordered my hood pad from local dodge dealer. AT that time(Nov) they had 40 in stock. I got the plastic fasteners from local hardware store.

I believe I would rather go with the stock hood pad. Cost around a 100.00.

Got a local to free hand the snake pic. This pic of the pad was taken before the vent screes install.

100_1011_edited-4.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
redtanrt10

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HISS, thanks. I remember seeing this pic but didn't realize this was a stock part. And only $100.00!!

I'll send a pic with the scoop screen, if you look at my picture from the underside, notice how the 1 edge is tucked under, (and the other side has the torque's). That's kind of how they did my scoop, tucked the top under like that then have a torque on each side.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Looks good Mike.

I'm guessing that due to the thinner stripes, you had to have the fascia repainted too???

Dan

OP
OP
redtanrt10

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan, I found a great deal on a new bumper (>$600 delivered) which pushed me over the edge to do the hood with tapered stripes. Then I sold my 5 spokes for the hood and most of the paint work. Hope no rain at Willow this weekend! Can't get clear bra for another month or so you'll see it with the blue painter's tape. See you Friday night or Saturday @ breakfast. Mike

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How long do they advise to wait for the clear bra? Did you get a price?

I have a fuzzy recollection that my clearbra installer recommended a 30-day cure period before applying to a repainted (not a factory painted/baked) surface.

/Rich

OP
OP
redtanrt10

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How long do they advise to wait for the clear bra? Did you get a price?

Similar comments to RCL4668, on a non-baked paint, need to wait 30-60 days for the paint to cure. I've done 2 coupes before, price is around $1,000. This includes; facia, headlights and fogs, top of hood and fenders, front of side sills and behind the rear tires. (I'll probably spend $600 to do the facia and hood)

Get recommendations, not just price, quality of materials and installers vary widely.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Mike,

Here in our market, contact Chips Away, TJ Wallace.

He does good work and uses the best 3M materials.

Dan

PS Rained out at Willow, set up another weekend with NASA on Feb 9 & 10.

OP
OP
redtanrt10

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan, TJ did my first coupe and I was happy. (Newport Viper gave me his info) He told me to wait 4 weeks for the paint to cure. Got your phone call today,thanks. The weather report for Saturday says 50's and partly sunny. I put the tow hooks on last night for Willow. Then I got sick as a dog and I'm home from work. If I wasn't sick I'd go Saturday. Unfortunatley 9/10th I'm in SF @NADA, Pantera club has a March 1st date, thinking of that one. Would like to go to Viper Days with you guys the week prior but I'll be in Korea. If you change you mind about tomorow, call me and you can take my slot. Mike