08 with nx 150

boosted349

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i will be putting the nx kit 20325-10 150 hp with the 15961 tps switch in the 08 viper this coming week. has anyone here done this yet? i am hoping to get the car in the low low low 10s with N20 only. i am very familiar with nitrous just not on vipers, any suggestions or comments would be appreciated

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i will be putting the nx kit 20325-10 150 hp with the 15961 tps switch in the 08 viper this coming week. has anyone here done this yet? i am hoping to get the car in the low low low 10s with N20 only. i am very familiar with nitrous just not on vipers, any suggestions or comments would be appreciated
You had better check it out as i dont think the computer(drive by wire ect ) on a Gen 4 is compatable with Nitrous .I believe others have tried and it only allowed a limited amount of spray before kicking back throttle .

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Mopar Race Contoller might help.

Would be interesting to know.....

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too am curious what you will get. Mopar PCM should fix the problems that others have had. Make sure and get window switch with stock internals. 700 rwhp should be possible. I am curious what torque you will get as gen 2 and 3 always got high numbers. Keep us posted

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score

In one of the SRT Engineer chats, it was stated that the Gen IV engine is not as robust as the Gen II, or even the Gen III, engine. They seemed to indicate that mods in excess of headers and exhaust, filters and the Mopar controller would require you to upgrade at least the pistons. A 150 shot will produce an internal effect which is way beyond the effect of adding headers and exhaust, filters and the Mopar controller. My advice is speak to a few of our site's competent tuner sponsors before you do what you suggested.

OP
OP
B

boosted349

Viper Owner
Reaction score
man u people r scareing me, but maybe for the best. i think i will get some more info first.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The thing is those stock internals just are not meant for boost/Nitrous. I wish they put in the forged pistons like they did in some of the years of the Gen2's. I am weary enough in mine running a 150 shot. The least you want to run a window switch and make sure it does not come in sooner than 3000 rpm. I really dont run it much as it is and I just bought a forged piston/rod kit from Sean Roe that will allow me to run a little more safely.

The thing is the Gen4 engine's are pushed pretty much maxed out so running anything on top is really pushing your luck. Talk with Dan at DC Performance. He has extensive knowledge on this.

Last edited:

FastMatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that the pistons are so week, the 08-up Vipers are suppose to be using the pistons from the 6.1L Hemi and I have sprayed as much as a 200 shot on my SRT-8 charger on the street. It has heads/cam/headers and NOS it put down 548 rwhp on the dyno on a 125 shot. I probly put about 20 BOTTLES of NOS threw it at the 125-150HP levels. Motor is fine.

I also know of a guy spraying a 300hp direct port on his stock motor SRT-8 Jeep, he broke his rear end, and his trany but the motor keeps on ticking...so far.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that the pistons are so week, the 08-up Vipers are suppose to be using the pistons from the 6.1L Hemi and I have sprayed as much as a 200 shot on my SRT-8 charger on the street. It has heads/cam/headers and NOS it put down 548 rwhp on the dyno on a 125 shot. I probly put about 20 BOTTLES of NOS threw it at the 125-150HP levels. Motor is fine.
Yeah but when you throw a 150 to 200 shot of nitrous on an engine that's already about 500rwhp its different than throwing a 150 to 200 shot on top of a 300-350rwhp engine. Also the cost of replacing the Viper engine is more expensive than replacing the Hemi. There are some that get away with using a 200 shot on a cast piston engine and some that don't. Its all in what you can afford to lose. :dunno:

Of course the biggest thing is a dead on tune. If you tune right you can make it last a lot longer. Also as long as you dont spray at a low rpm that will also help. Cast pistons just are not that strong and you can talk to some of the sponsors like Chuck Tator or Dan Cragin or Mark Jorgensen or Dan Lesser and they will tell you that using cast pistons is too weak for boost and nitrous.

Last edited:

FastMatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah but when you throw a 150 to 200 shot of nitrous on an engine that's already about 500rwhp its different than throwing a 150 to 200 shot on top of a 300-350rwhp engine. Also the cost of replacing the Viper engine is more expensive than replacing the Hemi. There are some that get away with using a 200 shot on a cast piston engine and some that don't. Its all in what you can afford to lose. :dunno:

Of course the biggest thing is a dead on tune. If you tune right you can make it last a lot longer. Also as long as you dont spray at a low rpm that will also help. Cast pistons just are not that strong and you can talk to some of the sponsors like Chuck Tator or Dan Cragin or Mark Jorgensen or Dan Lesser and they will tell you that using cast pistons is too weak for boost and nitrous.

your right it's all in the tune, I ran 9.74@151mph in my Stealth on a totaly stock 3.0L V6 short block, cast pistons and all, at 30psi of boost. And that's 6 little pistons and only 3.0L. (it now runs 8.74@168 but the bottom end is all forged)

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a fellow on the site recently that put a 200 shot on his 08. He mentioned problems with the computer trying to limit the torque output between gears which slowed him down in the quarter mile. Do a search. There is an extensive thread about it.

I think it was some tuner who eventually sold the car.

Roadrunner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Boosted... keep in mind that though the piston is the same as the 6.1L it is being used under more intense conditions... and it only has about 3mm of top ring land... Drum on them too hard and you'll find that the "cheap" Nitrous upgrade is not so cheap.

6.1L Hemi - 425HP - 53hp/piston
6.1L Hemi - 200 Shot Spray and Pray - 78hp/piston

8.4L Viper - 600HP - 60hp/piston
8.4L Viper - 200 Shot Spray and PAY - 80hp/piston

Replacing the pistons before spray = expensive ($3k or so?)
Replacing the pistons after spray = really expensive (warrantee won't cover Nitrous damage ~$20k)

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Boosted... keep in mind that though the piston is the same as the 6.1L it is being used under more intense conditions... and it only has about 3mm of top ring land... Drum on them too hard and you'll find that the "cheap" Nitrous upgrade is not so cheap.

6.1L Hemi - 425HP - 53hp/piston
6.1L Hemi - 200 Shot Spray and Pray - 78hp/piston

8.4L Viper - 600HP - 60hp/piston
8.4L Viper - 200 Shot Spray and PAY - 80hp/piston

Replacing the pistons before spray = expensive ($3k or so?)
Replacing the pistons after spray = really expensive (warrantee won't cover Nitrous damage ~$20k)
Great post. That is basically what I was saying but without all of the numbers you posted:). Best thing that you can do is replace those pistons. Sponsors like Sean Roe are making it cost effective to do it now.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking at it another way, you cannot equate what's happening in a smaller, faster spinning motor to a big block. Case in point, BMW makes over 100HP per litre. Doesn't mean you can increase the size and numbers of pistons to make an 8 litre, 800 HP motor that can rev to 8k. Well you could, but it would be a completely different animal than the Viper motor, and would defeat the purpose of the car.