09 Couple with Bellanger headers/exhaust installed - Help needed

1.8t

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I just got done installing my Bellanger headers/3" bellanger exhaust on the car and everything seems to be fine, but I noticed that my passenger side exhaust note seems noticebly more rough than my drivers side. I have checked the spark plug wires from each coil to plug numerous times to ensure that all cylinders are firing, but it seems to have little affect. I took a video and perhaps it is all in my head, so could you guys take a look and let me know if I am just being overly analytical? My biggest worry is that I am running 1 cyl down and wouldn't really know it since 1. There are so many cylinders and 2. The car idles somewhat rough anyways.

FWIW - I have already checked all 02 sensor connections and ensure they are connected properly and install correctly.

Also, the dinging sound you hear on the passenger side is just the side sill. I only have it attached with a couple of screws right now until I get this figured out.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31728243@N05/6312831646/

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I did not notice an appreciable difference. Only thing that I noticed is that you might want to have the exhaust tip further forward as the exhaust tend to grow back when fully hot.

lmcgrew79

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would imagine if you was running just 7 cylinders your check engine light would come up instantly, if working. It pretty much sounds the same to me, also. I tack weldled my exhaust to cats, to make sure they dont rotate down either, as rocket said cheat them forward

OP
OP

1.8t

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well my CEL is on and it came on on the second start cycle after a few minutes. So far, it has been just idling, no driving. The CEL isn't flashing.

lmcgrew79

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do you have the mopar controller? The cel could be if you dont. I would go to borrow a obd reader and see what the code says. I wouldnt drive the car until then. Also did you unplug the battery.

OP
OP

1.8t

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just scanned the car and I am throwing a P0300 and a P0316.

P0300 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

P0316 - iAn engine misfire in the first 1000 revolutions

I am beginning to think that I am not firing on all cylinders. I guess I will check the spark plug wires once again. I did not remove the spark plugs at any point in time during the tear down or re-install.

Anyone who has experienced these codes has any insight?

Last edited:

ACRsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i am having a similar problem as well , after i put on a set of acrx headers , i would put on a new set of plugs . i hit and damaged one during the install and changed it . was too lazy to change the rest . Must be a problem with the plugs/wires . Will put on a new set tomorrow .

the car doesn't seem to be accelerating like it should be . but i do not have a CEL though !

OP
OP

1.8t

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just swapped the plug wires from the driver side to the passenger side and it made no difference, the passenger side is definitely running rougher. Changing the plugs next.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As LIG said....it sounds damn good. I do notice a slight difference though. Pass side does sound a little different to me as well.

OP
OP

1.8t

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am running autolites in the passenger side right now just for testing purposes as that is all autozone had that was equivalent to the OEM plugs. I will say that at least from a construction standpoint, those cheap ass autolites look worlds better than the OEM ones. Does anyone have any experience with running autolites all the time?

Anyways, I have run cycled the car a few times now and the CEL has not returned. I will run cycle it a few more times tomorrow and if I am not showing any preliminary codes with the obd2 scanner I will finally take it for a drive.

OP
OP

1.8t

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car is fixed. Dyno numbers are 582whp/564wtq. On this same dyno the car made 547whp/517wtq bone stock.

Last edited:

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really nice numbers!!! Is your only perf mods the full Belanger exhaust system? Did you go with high flow cats? What brand dyno?

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the fix! Must have impacted a plug with a header pipe. Back before there were resistor plugs, this probably wouldn't have mattered as much, since non-resistor spark plugs utilize a rod of solid copper down the middle of that white ceramic insulator, making it much more durable in terms of cracking. Over the years, the only plugs I've had stop working altogether have been Champion resistor plugs. They also appear to be of cheap finish quality, as was mentioned above. For these reasons, I have stopped buying Champion plugs even when they are the OE brand. Sorry, just one guy's limited experience-- I'm sure many have had good luck with them. I've had such good performance from the NGK brand in my motorcycles, that I'm using them in everything now. The Iridiums in particular are a terrific spark plug, IMO.

OP
OP

1.8t

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only mods are Belanger headers and bellanger 3" exhaust with cats. Still have the stock air filter in the car.

OP
OP

1.8t

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Red is stock, blue is with these additions.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP

1.8t

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not real sure, but after changing the plugs I didn't have any rough idle symptoms any more. I did notice a couple of the stock plugs had hairline cracks in them, but I don't think that is what was causing the issue.

alpha85

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get the Mopar PCM. I have the same set up. 630rwhp 613rwtq

OP
OP

1.8t

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Already have it in my possession. Will probably have the dealer install it in the next couple of weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi