0W40 Mobil 1 oil change.

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There was some discussion on the board a couple weeks ago about the factory change from Mobil1 10W30 to Mobil1 0W40.
I just changed my oil in the 04 and went with the Mobil1 0W40.
I have about 7 lbs more oil pressure hot at idle. There is no noticable difference in the valve train noise. I heard a couple guys say they thought their 05's were quieter because of the new oil. I had been told in the past that the clatter we all heard was noisy fuel injectors, not the valve train. I do know that the 03 and 04's have bleed down lifters. Did they change the lifters in 05, maybe that is why the valve train is quieter?
Maybe this has been covered but,I am still curious about the size of the crankshaft damper bolt, Did it return to the 1 1/4 inch size as it was in 03 or is it still 13/16?

Ps. The Mobil1 0W40 has a black cap, but so does the Mobil1 20W50 V twin motor oil, when I bought mine the 2 weights were mixed together in the same rack. Watch what you grab. :D

turbodoc

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would stick with the factory fill recommendations. However, Mercedes told me to change the Mobil 1 ever 10,000 miles or two years, whichever comes first. The viper says every 3 months or 3,000 miles which, as you know, can get expensive. I don't know if the manufacturers are in bed together or what. But I know the higher viscosities seem to quiet the motor down and theoretically that could come with a price. I was told once that Mobil 1 in any viscosity is a great oil. An acquaintance put that in his new truck and allready has 40,000 miles on it and has never changed it. He's a chemical engineer and says you don't have to change it. To each his own. I never used Mobile one in a new motor because the rings wouldn't seat, but that was on a 1987 grand national, Turbo would generate alot of blow by under boost and I'd always change the oil after racing. Especially if your running leaded race gas. Hope that helps, if your bored. go to Mobile1.com.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe this has been covered but,I am still curious about the size of the crankshaft damper bolt, Did it return to the 1 1/4 inch size as it was in 03 or is it still 13/16?

Brian -

I thought you got your answer on this one. Sorry about that! It is still a 13/16 bolt - hopefully with some Locktite this time... ;)

As to oil, way back in the golden age of gas stations when I was a gas pump jockey (age 16), our station owner supposedly never changed his oil on his old Ford pick up. Claimed he added it every once in a while, but that the factory filter was still on it at 120,000 miles. Don't know if I bought it then and buy it even less now, but it is curious how the current synthetics would hold up over time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte