1/4 mile dragging my snake for the first time>>>>

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As you might of read in Venom Lovers post we are going to Palmdale drags this Sunday. This is the first time I am 1/4 miling my snake, 2000 stock RT EXCEPT for a 3.54 gear. Any pointers in launching? Should I wet and burn the street tires? What pressure should I run the pilot sports at? Any other opinions from the seasoned veterans would be appreciated.

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
See the very recent post by Venon Lover "burnout tecchniques and issues" under this thread for more info on this subject. John Hennessey added some good info.

Also, Rich Detert had an interesting recent post in the Viper Racing section entitled "time slips". His 60 ft. times were under 1.80 - Rich, Not bad indeed!!
You must be registered for see images
Hope this helps...Kurt

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I can't account for the different gears, but the 2000's have a little bit different torque curve. It actually doesn't have quite as much low end grunt, but really moves at the top. The result, at least for me with my 3.07 gearing, is that I can release around 2000 rpm without too much wheelspin. I would guess you will want to drop around 1700 with your gears. Also note that the Pilot Sports are different than the MXX's that most Vipers run. I think they are a little stickier myself.

As to tire pressure, don't go below 20 psi on the 18" rims. I got that advise from Jon B and it has done well for me. I have experimented with between 20 and 30 (stock). I think that maybe the lower pressure helps a little bit on the launch, but I have gotten good 60' times either way. The other thing that was suggested was to increase the pressure in the fronts to 40 psi, as it reduces friction/drag just a little bit. I haven't done that of late, and just ran stock pressures all the way around with good results (maybe it's because I am getting to be a better driver). Definitely skip the water box and do a quick "hop" (2 seconds) to get the loose debris off the tires on the dry pavement. I pull around the box and then back up a little bit to give me some room to do a quick hop.

You mentioned this is the first time out with the Viper on the ¼ mile, but not if it is your first time at the track. If it is the latter, then work on three things: Your reaction time, your 60' times, and smooth shifting. Conquer the last two, and your ¼ mile ET's will drop naturally. Conquer the first one, and you can watch your competition in the rearview mirror from the start. Just be careful that you don't downshift on your run by mistake. It has happened to many in the excitement of their first runs, and you should be prepared to nail the clutch if you sense you have hit the wrong gear. Nothing to get paranoid about, just make sure to pay attention to the possibility, however remote.

Discounting the gears (as I don't know how they will affect it), here is what I would consider good for your first time out: Reaction times between .500 and .600; 60' times of less than 2.00; and ¼ mile ET's below 12.40.

Be sure to let us know how you do, and have a GREAT time!

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, So Call, I recommend you drive through the water box, do a burnout, stage, rev to 4500 rpm in first gear, wait until the light has been green a little while, then dump the clutch.

Oh, I'm sorry, you were asking opinions of seasoned drag racing veterans only....

Here's a serious question though, for the rest of you. For those of us with stock 3.07:1 rear end, I agree winding to around 1800 rpms seems to be best. But, how do you work the clutch? I usually release to the friction point and then smoothly release while applying throttle from there. If I dump the clutch and then slam the accelerator, I get too much wheel spin. Is that your experience as well?

One other thing. My street tires are the originals (i.e., 3+ years old now) and have 11,000 miles on them. I take it if I go to the track on street tires instead of my slicks, I may want to consider getting new tires to improve my short times. Yea or nay?

BTW, <12.4 sec ETs won't be happening at Palmdale due to altitude and potentially temperature.

Thanks for the comments, everyone!

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As someone who just went through this same thing this summer, first time dragging that is, let me pick out the key things that I could have used from the suggestions above. Too many things to remember for me, so if you can remember only three things, try these:

1. Whatever you launch like on a parking lot, it won't be the same on the strip. So practice different launches until you find one you are successful with on time trials.

2. JonB's comment that is key for beginners...LAUNCH ON BOTTOM YELLOW. If you wait until you see green, you'll have a full second or more reaction time like I did my first time!

3. I just got slicks last week but haven't used them on the track. My best launches with the Pilots (which is all I have tried) were at about 2200 RPM. But the key here, which may be obvious to others but wasn't to me, is don't launch at that RPM and then immediately pin it! I was launching at 2200, the wheels would be spinning and within a split second I would stomp the pedal down, the RPM would jump up to 5500 and I would just create a pretty smoke show and watch the other car leave me! The key is to wait until you feel it hook up before punching it. Well you really want to be punching it as you hook up. That all happens really fast your first time but I know for me I really had to fight the urge to just stomp on the pedal before I had traction. Trust me, if you don't let the car get moving first you'll get very frustrated and you'll get beaten by a guy in a Camaro that never let's you forget it!!!

Reaction score
On street tires I give them a whirl to clean them off, I dont do a full burn out. Drop the tires down to 20 psi. I roll out of the box instead of hammer the gas, cause all you'll do is spin. You might be nervous, so take it slow. DDont worry about the next guy. race your own race.

Jeff-00-ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm thinking of heading to Baytown and try running the 1/4 in my 2000 ACR. I have no idea what gears I have. They are stock. I haven't really practiced my launching technique so I'm sure that will have a learning curve. I figure if I run a 12.3 to a 12.6 I'll be happy. That might even be asking too much since I have never run a car down the 1/4 mile track before. I should probably try and get someone experienced to go with me. Albert where do you usually go for timed runs?

Thanks
Jeff

Jeff-00-ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Y2KGTS, You may have read an earlier post I made about slamming from 3rd to 2nd under hard accleration. You mentioned people have done that before. I have done it twice and after the second time realized why. I'm pretty sure it won't happen again. I heard a big bang, but that was a couple hundred miles ago and no problems that I am aware of. It's hard to believe any car could take such trauma. The Viper must be pretty tough. Someone posted a message saying watch for noise from the ring and pinion over the next 3000 miles during cruising (non acceleration/deceleration). If no noise after a while then no damage was probably done. I guess we'll see...

Jeff

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Y2KGTS:
Well, I can't account for the different gears, but the 2000's have a little bit different torque curve. It actually doesn't have quite as much low end grunt, but really moves at the top. The result, at least for me with my 3.07 gearing, is that I can release around 2000 rpm without too much wheelspin. I would guess you will want to drop around 1700 with your gears. Also note that the Pilot Sports are different than the MXX's that most Vipers run. I think they are a little stickier myself.

As to tire pressure, don't go below 20 psi on the 18" rims. I got that advise from Jon B and it has done well for me. I have experimented with between 20 and 30 (stock). I think that maybe the lower pressure helps a little bit on the launch, but I have gotten good 60' times either way. The other thing that was suggested was to increase the pressure in the fronts to 40 psi, as it reduces friction/drag just a little bit. I haven't done that of late, and just ran stock pressures all the way around with good results (maybe it's because I am getting to be a better driver). Definitely skip the water box and do a quick "hop" (2 seconds) to get the loose debris off the tires on the dry pavement. I pull around the box and then back up a little bit to give me some room to do a quick hop.

You mentioned this is the first time out with the Viper on the ¼ mile, but not if it is your first time at the track. If it is the latter, then work on three things: Your reaction time, your 60' times, and smooth shifting. Conquer the last two, and your ¼ mile ET's will drop naturally. Conquer the first one, and you can watch your competition in the rearview mirror from the start. Just be careful that you don't downshift on your run by mistake. It has happened to many in the excitement of their first runs, and you should be prepared to nail the clutch if you sense you have hit the wrong gear. Nothing to get paranoid about, just make sure to pay attention to the possibility, however remote.

Discounting the gears (as I don't know how they will affect it), here is what I would consider good for your first time out: Reaction times between .500 and .600; 60' times of less than 2.00; and ¼ mile ET's below 12.40.

Be sure to let us know how you do, and have a GREAT time!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery