1/4 mile time

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Driver skill is one of the most important things in getting a good 1/4 mile time in a Viper. Story:

2 weeks ago at the Greer Dragway (1/8 mile) I'm sitting in the stands watching to see if anything interesting is running, before bringing the Viper down. In the lanes is a copper C6 vette. The guy has his helmet on (his lane was currently not running) and he was inching foward. I thought what a ****, just stay behind the white line UNTIL your lane is running. He then proceeds to pull towards the water box! The guy running the lanes decides who is next and is pissed! He yells for the guy to back up. He does, gets out of his car and takes off his helmet. He's probably 65-70. Got a NEW VETTE and doesn't have a clue about drag racing or how to drive. No offense on age here, he just looked like a dork. Florida gold chainer if I ever saw one. SO, when he finally gets to run, guess what he does? EVERYTHING WRONG. Big suprise. Pulled in the water box and does a burnout still in the puddles. He sprays the crowd. The announcer JUST FINISHED SAYING DO NOT BURN OUT WHILE STILL IN THE WATER, PULL FORWARD FIRST. So he drags water all the way up to the lights......
Now, being a novice in a six-speed you would think he would leave the cumputer nanny ON for his first ever run. Nope. The guy overshoots the staging lights then has to back up. The MUSTANG GT (non-cobra) waits patiently and someone has to guide him to setting the lights (wasn't he just watching for the last twenty minutes?) and the yellows count down GREEN....2.6 seconds later he launches. Full throttle. Car is sideways through the 60'. Second gear, car lurches sideways more. Everyone laughs as the Mustang crosses the finish line. 8.7 for the Stang. Vette dude still spinning finally hooks up and finishes the 1/8 mile in 10.6.

When he comes back around for another try, many people are leaning in the window telling him to KEEP THE TRACTION CONTROL COMPUTER ON! He does and runs much better.

Vipers have no computer.

Very entertaining! Nice read.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will try a more tactful approach (as best I can).

If I understand you correctly you are asking what can the stock car do as you plan on running an 11.4 second vette iin a few days with your new SRT-10 (about 1 1/2 weeks old).

First, without modification you will not beat an 11.4 second car no matter how you drive. With your unbroken in (I will get to that later) car I would expect 12.2 - 12.4 second with a little practice. Maybe down to 12.0 if you drive exceptionally well.

Second I question anyone would woould take a 2 week old car with near zero mileage to a drag strip. Have you heard about break-in procedures? I do not think 1/4 mile runs fits in most break-in procedures that I have seen.

OP
OP
R

RENTME

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ron, thanx for the advice do you know of any quick bolt ons that may help knock off a few tenths thanx rentme

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cant believe you guys are actually answering this tool. Judging by his spelling and knowledge of cars, he be lucky to own a 73 Pinto. If he is involved in a rental business, he is the carwash boy out back.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RENTME here are some words of wisdom from someone whose responses I am sure you do not value (like everyone so far judging from your responses).

Making everyone here dislike you is not a proactive means of seeking information. This is like a community. You can't come here and call everyone names and then ask the very same people to help. I think you may find that a nice, friendly approach is more effective. Or you can continue with your brute type approach and get zero answers to any inquiries. Your choice.

BTW you may find that the average Viper owner is well educated, economically above average and prone to be less accepting of poor grammar, spelling and the like. Allanlambo's comment was spot on. When you cannot spell or use basic punctuation you are conveying an uneducated image. That image here will not get you very far. Take some time. Use a capital to start a sentence and a period to end one. Use spell check if you are a poor typist (giving you the benefit of the doubt here). And do not use abbreviations that are ghetto-like.

Just my $0.02

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take some time. Use a capital to start a sentence and a period to end one. Use spell check if you are a poor typist (giving you the benefit of the doubt here). And do not use abbreviations that are ghetto-like.

Or he could continue with the ignorant, uneducated, trailer-trash image currently associated with him.

YELL03

Viper Owner
Reaction score
With good tires I would think the Gen 3 Vipers would easily run mid 11s, but I have never driven one so I don't know if they are launch challenged compared to Gen 2s.

My 2001 GTS ran 11.6@120+ with just Roe tubes & filters, and Kumhos out back with a 3500rpm launch.

With five 2000rpms launched it clicked off three 11.8s and two 11.9s all at 120 and change and all with 1.8 60' times.

All runs were granny shifted.

Funny thing is, at the same track on stock Pilots my best ever was a 12.31@116+ with a 1.89 60'.

Biggest problem with stock tires was not being able to 1-2 shift without having to completely back out to regain control whereas with the Kumhos it just sticks like glue.

How tricky are the Gen 3s to get down the track???

Launch, 1-2 shift, etc....

Howard

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen III on run flats is like ice skating. My Gen II would run the same times. I put some non-run flats on the rear and dropped about .3 sec in the 1/8 mile.

OP
OP
R

RENTME

Viper Owner
Reaction score
allanlambo, you are talking about my spelling . Yet you are talking to yourself !!!

OP
OP
R

RENTME

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ron, unlike the avarge, Quote : ( viper owner ) unquote, I have worked for my as. off for every thing i have , it was not handed to me like quote ( most viper owners ) unquote and unlike quote ( most viper owners ) unquote i do not spell or type well but everything i have i deserve except one thing thats all your quote ( viper owners ) unquote bullsh.. about my spelling and gramer .I DO OWN EVERYTHING I SAID I DO AND COULD CARE LESS WHAT THE AVARAGE VIPER OWNER THINKS.........Thank You for your suggistions though

OP
OP
R

RENTME

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Howard, thanx for your reply, I ran it last night at N E Dragway a couple of runs w/ factory tires it ran 12.53 @114 mph 2.16 60 ft times w/ 15 lbs air. I got tire spin every gear except 4th just a little wheel hop from 4th gear i think drag radials will help

Thanx Tom Rentme

P.S. how's my gramer?

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Howard, thanx for your reply, I ran it last night at N E Dragway a couple of runs w/ factory tires it ran 12.53 @114 mph 2.16 60 ft times w/ 15 lbs air. I got tire spin every gear except 4th just a little wheel hop from 4th gear i think drag radials will help

Thanx Tom Rentme

P.S. how's my gramer?

well, I think it's safe to say your grammer is better than your driving! :shocked:

OP
OP
R

RENTME

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Or he could continue with the ignorant, uneducated, trailer-trash image currently associated with him.

[/QUOTE] chuck like i said if you gudge some one from ther spelling and gramer who's the trash :headbang:

OP
OP
R

RENTME

Viper Owner
Reaction score
P.S. how's my gramer?

[/QUOTE]

well, I think it's safe to say your grammer is better than your driving! :shocked:

[/QUOTE]

See whats the difference i can't win RENTME

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What the heck is your native language? I have never heard some of the misspellings you create!

How should we judge you then, if not by the words that you type? By your questions? By your responses? You see, from where I sit, they are all in alignment. That is poor English, stupid/ignorant questions, childish responses, etc.

BTW how was that 4th gear shift on a 1/4 mile run that only achieved 114 mph? Why didn't you short shift into 5th for an even worse time. I do not know anyone who could drive a car so poorly. But then again I don't know anyone as ignorant as you convey.

Signed, a Viper owner who worked for everything he has, including an education.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
P.S. how's my gramer?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

NO that's NOT correct. You can definately win in both areas! Like anything else, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!! :2tu:

If you intend to Drag you SRT quite a bit, and feel the need to WHOOP modded vettes, stangs,etc. Then you will need to get your 60' down in the 1.8s on street tires, roll into the 2nd gear shift, and NO way with a stock Viper should you spin in 3rd.

Practice, is the key!!

Then you need some stickier tires,and a bit more power and you'll be deep in the 11s.

Did I say PRACTICE yet!

Oh, ,about your grammer, well, the easy way here is to use the CHECK SPELLING button. If you don't use that, well, once again--PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
chuck like i said if you gudge some one from ther spelling and gramer who's the trash :headbang:

[/QUOTE]

no gruj it jus houw u want peeple to preceeve u inteljent or dum

YELL03

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Rentme -

If you cut your 60' time down to even a 1.96, your 1/4 will drop by 0.4 to a 12.1

Try this technique.

Put tires at 25# of pressure.

Tach the rpms up to 2000rpms, as soon as you get the light lift off the clutch, as soon as you feel it grab go full throttle. This technique got me a 1.89 on Stock Pilots.

I still would like to see your traps come up a bit from 114.

The lowest my 2001 ever trapped was 116+.

Rip off a 1.86 60' and you will be smiling with a 11.9

Good luck,

Howard

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
P.S. how's my gramer?

[/QUOTE]

NO that's NOT correct. You can definately win in both areas! Like anything else, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!! :2tu:

If you intend to Drag you SRT quite a bit, and feel the need to WHOOP modded vettes, stangs,etc. Then you will need to get your 60' down in the 1.8s on street tires, roll into the 2nd gear shift, and NO way with a stock Viper should you spin in 3rd.

Practice, is the key!!

Then you need some stickier tires,and a bit more power and you'll be deep in the 11s.

Did I say PRACTICE yet!

Oh, ,about your grammer, well, the easy way here is to use the CHECK SPELLING button. If you don't use that, well, once again--PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!

[/QUOTE]

It's Grammar, not Gramer or Grammer. Practice, Practice, Practice. :p

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
P.S. how's my gramer?

Practice, is the key!!

Did I say PRACTICE yet!

[/QUOTE]

It's Grammar, not Gramer or Grammer. Practice, Practice, Practice. :p

[/QUOTE]

LMAO :D That's ***'in funny

MbnViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What you drive a stang ? ah you not educated ? you spelling ***** ? then you **** !

i know Honda owners, not educated people but i respect them ! some here really stupid just because they own a viper ! what if they own an Enzo lol :rolleyes:

GT40DOC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, this seems to just continue. You have to admit, RENTME did get a lot of folks to the forum, and participating. I hope things don't get out of hand, for I,personally, enjoy this forum a great deal and have learned a lot. You see, I am a Newbe to the viper world and have a lot to learn.

My 2 cents worth

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanx Tom Rentme

P.S. how's my gramer?

4th gear? Why would you be in 4th gear at 114 mph?
15 pounds of air? I can't imagine that the runflats perform very well with just 15 pounds of air in them.
Any issues with your tire pressure monitors?
Did you have to go back to the dealer to get them re-set?

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
There is actually some very good advice in this post, mixed in between the "humor". Some very entertaining comments.

Rentme,

1 - Air up the tires to at least 25 as yell03 advised
2 - Try lauching as yell03 advised; 2000 r's, dump clutch, tires grab, floor it.
3 - Still no sure how you got into 4th at 114 mph

Good luck

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i hope it is not that bad my o5 c6 conv vett runs 12.6 w drag radials on it it has 400 hp, does the viper have 500 hp ? :cool:

So, 1.1 seconds in the 1/4 is no big deal, eh? I guess that a new mudstain GT convertible that runs a 13.7 isn't that much slower than your beloved vette right? Go learn something about fast cars before you waste our time with this drivel.

Signed,
Your daddy
You must be registered for see images