1 mile drag race question....

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had the good fortune of being able to attend the 1 mile 'all-out' solo drag race in Nebraska next week and wanted to get the 'calculators' opinion of what to expect. It is a standing start, 1 mile top speed run. I will be running the race with the rest of the West Coast Viper team next week and am wondering what the math is for my expected top speed in my car.

Here is the specs that I think matter: (what other factors are there to consider?)

700WHP
98 GTS + 300 lbs of extras and 230 lb driver
stock gears
stock 18" Pilot tires
lowered 1.75"
(don't yet know the weather and altitude)

For the techies out there, what kind of top speed should I expect in the standing mile? (I am at 100+ in the 1/8th and 140 in the 1/4)

Thanks!

p.s. the race site is www.sorcrace.com

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was planning on going as well, but won't be able to make it this year! :mad:

I do know of a certain Blue/White from Chicago that will be running that Mile to win it!! :)
Will you be running the 1/2 mile also?

I hope Vipers get 1, 2, 3,...!!!

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, Jason I don't think its the top speed you need to concern yourself with, I think its the Fear Factor. I'm guessing you'll easily top 200mph. :eek: That should be cool for first place. :D

Like Greg said I heard the Vette guys braggin. I'd love to attend its just too far to be practical for me.

Why don't we get a local event going out here?

Good Luck

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you get good traction you may nudge 200mph by the end. The Venom TT800 just missed - so I'm picking you'll be somewhere between 190-200mph - most likely lower 190's - but prove me wrong!

Tip: Pre-cooling the intercooler will help just before the run!

I suspect the "blue and white" Viper will top 200mph with consumate ease.... but what do I know.... ;) :p

Good luck and have fun!!

Tom86ZT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes PC is going.
I just heard an unbelievable story about his beast from yesterday. No doubt in my mind he'll be seeing 200+ same goes for you Jason.

davem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason,
I'd suggest richening up your top end a little, in both our turbo bike and turbo sled long runs after 1/2 mile or so they
both seemed to lean out a little bit, in both of these cases they had carbs, this may have had something to do with
it, I'm not sure. Either way your engine will be heavily loaded at those speeds! Woo Hoo!

Take of your wipers and mirrors too - this should help.

This sounds like a blast, good luck and keep us posted !!

best,

Dave.

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Jason, how the heck are you? How's the beast?

Do you know if this event is open to everyone? Details!:) Is there a website to it?

Guilly

I have had the good fortune of being able to attend the 1 mile 'all-out' solo drag race in Nebraska next week and wanted to get the 'calculators' opinion of what to expect. It is a standing start, 1 mile top speed run. I will be running the race with the rest of the West Coast Viper team next week and am wondering what the math is for my expected top speed in my car.

Here is the specs that I think matter: (what other factors are there to consider?)

700WHP
98 GTS + 300 lbs of exras and 230 lb driver
stock gears
stock 18" Pilot tires
lowered 1.75"
(don't yet know the weather and altitude)

For the techies out there, what kind of top speed should I expect in the standing mile? (I am at 100+ in the 1/8th and 140 in the 1/4)

Thanks!

p.s. the race site is www.sorcrace.com

ZX1100

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes PC is going.
I just heard an unbelievable story about his beast from yesterday. No doubt in my mind he'll be seeing 200+ same goes for you Jason.

If it's the same story I heard then 200+ is a no brainer for this "Blue/White" Viper.

Tom, you going?

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would love to hear this story!

Yes PC is going.

If it's the same story I heard then 200+ is a no brainer for this "Blue/White" Viper.

Tom, you going?

OP
OP
W

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SORCRACE.COM is the URL for the race. Good to see you are still around Guilly!

I will be 'flowing' the fuel system and injectors at 100% for the run per EVERYBODYS advice. I have been learning alot about the high speed workings of the Viper and originally had a hard time believing that there is wheel spin at that speed. But there is! You learn something everyday.....

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn't it seems somewhat unusual that a race like this only requires a 'roll bar' and not a full on 'roll cage'.

Sure its only a mile but the speed is what is relevant I think.

Comments anyone?

Tom86ZT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
D-
Thought the first story I had was good, now I have a better one after last night. And trust me 200mph is no prob.

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still around Jason, and you still owe me a ride in your beast next time I'm in San Diego;) I'm hoping to have a Viper soon, I sold the Supra in the sig but got a deal I could not pass up on a MINT 1997 ~750 crank HP Supra with a T66. I am in the process of selling my 1998 BPU Quicksilver Supra so after I make a few more $$$$ buying and selling some cars I'll have a my "dream" garage with my Single Turbo Supra and a Viper!

That race looks like fun! Let us know how you do.

SORCRACE.COM is the URL for the race. Good to see you are still around Guilly!

I will be 'flowing' the fuel system and injectors at 100% for the run per EVERYBODYS advice. I have been learning alot about the high speed workings of the Viper and originally had a hard time believing that there is wheel spin at that speed. But there is! You learn something everyday.....

ZX1100

Enthusiast
Reaction score
D-
Thought the first story I had was good, now I have a better one after last night. And trust me 200mph is no prob.

T-Man...you coming out Thursday? I gotta get updated on what's been going on. I think people want to start meeting at Starbucks in Shaumburg.

9SEC6SPD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Supra,

just wondering if you ever put a slick on the back and ran your car full tilt down the track?

thanks
taner

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never ran it on slicks, and I never ran the NOS at the track. The car made enough HP to go 9's but I did get a good 60 foot time on the 10.41 @ 139.6 MPH run on DR's (1.59 60ft) so just putting slicks would have NOT guaranteed a 9 second pass.

Impressive Camaro you got there!

Supra,

just wondering if you ever put a slick on the back and ran your car full tilt down the track?

thanks
taner

vipernate

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Expect another blue and white Viper to making some serious runs with a S/C setup that no one has seen yet. This will get real interesting.

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Expect another blue and white Viper to making some serious runs with a S/C setup that no one has seen yet. This will get real interesting.
Who??? And what is the story behind Paolo's car??? Man I wish I could make this race :( :(

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few UK vipers attended a USA airbase last weekend which had a 2 mile runway along with 120 other souped up cars, timing was at the quarter and at 1.2 miles, 35 celcius, grippy tarmac. Nadine's poorly (down on power) winged SC GTS managed 11.7/178.6 mph on Kumo's with a spare front wheel, toolkit in the trunk and was the fastest viper with Tom's 500 [******] Venom running 12.2/178.4 mph. (Last year they both managed 175) A supra won the class at 180mph

The fastest run was a highly modded skyline which only did one run, 194mph

(There was also a handling autocross cicuit, Nadine won the rear wheel drive class and took the trophy beating a featherlight SC bussa engined Dax and finished 6th overall mixing it with the 4 wheel drive boys)

Good Luck

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man that must be fun! The sad thing is that the highest HP Supra I know of in the UK makes ~650 crank HP. I would love to see what some of the 900+ HP Supras in the US could do at one of these events. As well as some of the high HP Vipers, Vettes, etc.

A few UK vipers attended a USA airbase last weekend which had a 2 mile runway along with 120 other souped up cars, timing was at the quarter and at 1.2 miles, 35 celcius, grippy tarmac. Nadine's poorly (down on power) winged SC GTS managed 11.7/178.6 mph on Kumo's with a spare front wheel, toolkit in the trunk and was the fastest viper with Tom's 500 [******] Venom running 12.2/178.4 mph. (Last year they both managed 175) A supra won the class at 180mph

The fastest run was a highly modded skyline which only did one run, 194mph

(There was also a handling autocross cicuit, Nadine won the rear wheel drive class and took the trophy beating a featherlight SC bussa engined Dax and finished 6th overall mixing it with the 4 wheel drive boys)

Good Luck

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would have thought that Skyline would go faster than 194 MPH since it went 153 in the 1/4. But the Skylines are notorious for not been very good top end cars (170+ MPH type speeds).

Some impressive hardware there though.

here's the results from the UK event