10 Car Designs That Failed Miserably Guess What's On the List ?

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a Prowler for a summer when I lived in HHI and it was a great beach car, but not for much else.
Slow as hell, very weak chassis (windshield shook like you wouldn't believe over any little bump), and NO ROOM for ANYTHING!
The entire back opens up but it's only a few inches deep. I could keep beach towels in there, but that's it. Go pick up even just a 6-pack and the only place it was going was on the passenger floorboard.
I loved the look (especially after I got rid of the damn crash bumpers), but that's really all the car had going for it.

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Prowler had shortcomings but do you see the rods that some guys show up with at car shows ? If it had a v8 the sales would have been 10 fold what they were. That was the fatal flaw.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That list is silly. How can a car that is over 10 years old and still holding about 70% of its MSRP be on that list? Those things are still selling for mid 30's. Stupid lists.

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good point on the outstanding Prowler resale value. Honestly though I would probably take an SSR over a Prowler just cause it's got a V8...

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One word .....Aztek. Don't understand the Excursion on the list, in diesel form it's a coveted tow vehicle. Almost forgot...Juke. That is a p.o.s..

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about this Gem... A guy showed up at a cruise with one of these recently and it's so peculiar that it's actually collectible at this point. Is this a GTS wannabe :lmao:

You must be registered for see images attach

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about this Gem... A guy showed up at a cruise with one of these recently and it's so peculiar that it's actually collectible at this point. Is this a GTS wannabe :lmao:

All of those cars that GM made in those years that were all similar (Monte Carlo SS, etc.). Those things were a bit ugly and wouldn't get out of their own way (except the Buick Grand National-it was fast). That's some kind of Pontiac isn't it? Is that a Can Am or some kinda Am (they had lots of Am's)??? Or is that an Olds, or a Chevy, or a Buick??? That's when they made one car and sold it as five different brands... I can't read it on my screen, but is that a Pontiac Lemans 2 + 2?

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My bad... This is the Monte nearly indistinguishable...

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now that I see it from the front, kinda special. Really, I have never seen one. Probably is collectable.

The Monte Carlo was butt ugly in the front. This Pontiac is interesting... Seen thousands of the Monet Carlo, but I don't remember the Pontiac version. I wonder how many they made?

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
People that are into the Aero coupe pay HUGE money for the original rear glass. Its a love it or hate it thing, definitely not high on the performance scale.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Dad owns a 2001 Mulholland Edition Prowler that I will purchase from him when he's ready to sell it to me. I Love that car! I love my Viper way more, but it has its usefullness at times. I don't expect it to do anything other than look pretty and be reliable. (same 3.5 V6 I had in my 300M that served me well for 213k miles and get this: was on its original transmission!) Yes, a HEMI from the SRT8 would have made that thing a rocketship, however that wasn't its purpose. (like the GNX being faster than a vette; which meant execs had to kill it)

As for the Chevy SSR, I like them too! They weren't for hauling stuff like rocks or blocks, but if you were headed to the beach and were bringing tubes and towels and a picnic basket and cooler, it was perfect!

The Excursion shows just how stupid the writer of the article is.....I hope someday when he's out driving around in his Toyota Prius that he doesn't run a red light in front of an Excursion cause in a brief instant he'll understand one of many reasons someone would buy one: If your wife and kids are in it and they hit a Prius, you're fixing the bumper, some lights and paint....and the Prius and its driver are crushed like a pop can and sent for recycling.

Yes, the Aztec, that X90, the Gremlin, the Pacer should all be on there. If he had any brains he'd have included the Edsel as that was the model for such an article. I agree the fastback Monte Carlo SS and Pontiac 2+2 were forgettable as well, but weren't those meant for nascar dominance? (like the Superbird and Torino GT) If so, they weren't design duds, they were ingenious relics created for the public to consume just enough of to allow them to be racing legal.

Other design duds I'd have put on the list:
- the Grand Wagoneer of the mid 80's
- the Matador

Regards,
Aaron

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought that the Pacer and the Gremlin were far better cars than the Pinto and the Vega. I always had a soft spot for the Pacer because really Hot Girl around the corner got one for her first car when I was 17. She was all excited about it and I shared some enthusiasm with her...:devgrin:

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought that the Pacer and the Gremlin were far better cars than the Pinto and the Vega. I always had a soft spot for the Pacer because really Hot Girl around the corner got one for her first car when I was 17. She was all excited about it and I shared some enthusiasm with her...:devgrin:

And those had the room to share that enthusuasm.:headbang:

The Ford Maverick could be added or the Chevy Chevette or Citation--although those were bad cars, they did sell a lot of them I suppose.

However, the biggest piece of crap I ever owned was a new 1986 Chysler Laser. POS, period. It spent more time at the dealership than my driveway--garbage.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't understand the Excursion on the list, in diesel form it's a coveted tow vehicle.

I rented one of those things to haul my Viper to Iowa and back. There were no compromises made with that thing, it towed great and I even had a terrific night's sleep in it. The only downside was I had to carry a bank with it to pay for the fuel. I think it got about 6 miles to the gallon.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Prowler had shortcomings but do you see the rods that some guys show up with at car shows ? If it had a v8 the sales would have been 10 fold what they were. That was the fatal flaw.

I think the Prowler met Chrysler's expectations but yes I agree with you, a V8 with a stick would have sold lots more of them. The car gets a lot of attention but that didn't make up for the uninspiring drive, for me anyway. I still love 'em but I have no desire to own one.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As for the Chevy SSR, I like them too! They weren't for hauling stuff like rocks or blocks, but if you were headed to the beach and were bringing tubes and towels and a picnic basket and cooler, it was perfect!

I liked those too. Everytime I saw them I thought "Good for GM, finally stepping out of the box." Alas, being GM the attempt at boldness was short-lived.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RESEARCH FAIL

Damn, people. Spend about 3 minutes doing a halfazzed job of research BEFORE you print an article.

- The EV1 was a *MASSIVE SUCCESS*. GM killed it; NOT sales. (actually, they weren't even sold. They were all leased)
- There was another entire generation of Subaru Baja. But....let's not talk about those because they sold well.
- The ZDX/Crosstour has been out less than two years and you're calling it a dud? Okay, Kreskin.
- How many Prius' can you tow with an Excursion? All of them. (I'm pretty sure that one was some kinda personal stab from the writer)

As others have said: No Aztec on the list?

This guy didn't even try.

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you notice 4 out of the 10 cars in the article were yellow. And no red ones to be seen. Coincidence?

pure zen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Like me, I know there are several Prowler owners on this website. The Prowler was designed as a cruiser vehicle, not for running the 1/4 mile, although there is one in Houston that with a 'V-6 stroker and nitrous' runs a respectful 11:65et 111.94mph

The Prowler does draw attention at car shows because there aren't many seen on the roads,,,and its re-sale value is quite high. My Prowler has a deeper set of gears,,,,and from stop light to stop light, does skut rather well against most cars.

Its not a Viper, but Chrysler took the chance to built it until Daimler got their hands into the company, and the economy went sour after 9-11 terrorist attacks.

Last edited:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We had a beautiful, NEW, yellow Prowler at PIR this past weekend for "exotic car rides" still on MSO. Dealer Donated for the kids hospital.

4 of the 5 instructor-drivers took a couple orientation hot-laps in it to be ready in case a paying rider or a sick kid asked for it.

All 4 instructors said the same thing: YIKES, what a pushing pig, weirdly hard to predict, zero Seat-of-pants feel in cornering. "Good Thing Its Slow" was the consensus. We used it for pictures only......

I agree the Pontiac AZTEK was the ugliest and worst ever. Definition of butt-uglee-slow-pig. NASCAR heavily modified one and used it as a Daytona 500 Pace Car...... the race that Dale died. It never paced another race.

Last edited: