100+MPH light in the front

02ViperTodd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All,

I just changed my rotors tires brake pads..etc..etc..etc.. I went to bed the brakes and found that the 100-40MPH run (bedding the pads)..the Viper felt very light on the front end at high speed. I don't know if it's because of the 315's I put on the front or not. I've tracked this car before and not felt the floatiness on the front end above 100..Is it the tire size on the front that makes it want to feel light?

I've got racing shocks and I was thinking that I've got them set to 7 on a scale of 0-9. Maybe I need to loosen up the shocks to let the normal aerodynamics push the car down to the track. Maybe put the shocks at 2 or 3. The shocks are Alden Eagles.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,
TOdd

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
315's on the front, that's huge. That's Z06 rears. I would say that's your problem. Dragsters go with narrow fronts for a reason.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
315's on the front, that's huge. That's Z06 rears. I would say that's your problem. Dragsters go with narrow fronts for a reason.

omg.. thats such a crock of $HIT.

I'm sorry, but I hate miss information.

First I have run my gen 2 for at least 30,000 miles with 315's both michellin pilot sport cup tires and michellin pilot sport. 315's ROCK, and my newest viper rims (just arrived last week from woodhouse) I had new 315's installed on them. 315's are the hot ticket for road racing. (I also tried 285's, 295's and 305's and different tire brands)

Dragsters go with narrow tires to REDUCE FRICTION AND TO HELP THE FRONT END COME UP OFF THE GROUND, to transfer weight to the back. My god that was the stupidest thing I ever heard that Dragsters go narror on the fronts for the very reason of not wanting a light front end...

Sorry, its tuesday, probably over reacting.

Check your tire pressures, make sure they are about 32-34 hot is what I always ran on my 315's on the street.

Also, have your alignment checked. IF something is off whack it can create an uneasiness at higher speeds due to its lack of surefootedness. Also, you really want to feel super stable at high speeds, get a "street/track" alignment done, Archer racing did mine, I loved it!

How many miles are on your shocks? Blown and worn out shocks will create "bouncyness" at higher speeds when you go over any significant irregularities

Hope that helped.
Jon

PS. All else failes and you dont want your 315's I'll definitely buy them off you for dimes on the dollar!! I love them.

OP
OP

02ViperTodd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope..the 315s ain't going anywhere. I run the tires at 29 (cold) on all 4 corners.

The shocks aren't blown and only about 3K miles on them. I'm just wondering if there set too stiff..

Todd

FlyBryViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Todd
Don't make any adjustments for the street, unless you can put them back for the track. Doing your brake bedding on the street can feel different than what you normally feel on the track. Don't worry about it. You have your car setup for the track, make whatever comprimises you can to live with it on the street. The 315's, irregular road surfaces, and bedding new brakes can all lead to unfamiliar feedback on the street. It could diminish after the brakes are stabilized, but don't worry about it.

FlyBryViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Fastest we see in Viper Days is about a buck fifty. The front end does not get light, car tracks straight & true. But then again, we may thinking of other stuff, like how late can we go before braking.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah, I'd say so. :confused:

When you say light in the front end, are you possibly talking about dartiness or the willingness of the front to respond to small bumps and steering input? If so, that probably is the wider tires. At 100+MPH you are not really "accelerating" that much so there is little nose lift based on torque. There is more lift based on air flow, but that shouldn't change based on the mods you've added recently. So it comes down to the tires. I think what is happening is that your road speed exaggerates the effect of the wide tires on the road surface. So they pull, tram-track, dart, or whatever you call it even more than driving around town. This can feel the same as the "front end getting light". While you may hate it now, you'll love it on braking and turning at the track. Everything is a tradeoff.

Let me know what you all think, which I'm sure will happen with various degrees of politeness :)

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah, I'd say so. :confused:

When you say light in the front end, are you possibly talking about dartiness or the willingness of the front to respond to small bumps and steering input? If so, that probably is the wider tires. At 100+MPH you are not really "accelerating" that much so there is little nose lift based on torque. There is more lift based on air flow, but that shouldn't change based on the mods you've added recently. So it comes down to the tires. I think what is happening is that your road speed exaggerates the effect of the wide tires on the road surface. So they pull, tram-track, dart, or whatever you call it even more than driving around town. This can feel the same as the "front end getting light". While you may hate it now, you'll love it on braking and turning at the track. Everything is a tradeoff.

Let me know what you all think, which I'm sure will happen with various degrees of politeness :)

Disagree.. of course... (my tuesday is almost over :laugh: )

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Todd. My GTS began to feel a little light at over 110, but mostly only going downhill. On the level it felt rock steady till +125, and uphills always felt solid. Doing down hills in Open Road racing at +140 felt a bit light, but only what you would expect with all that air packing under the car.
Hard to give you a definitive answer due to your larger tires and upgraded shocks.

I loved my 315's on the tracks. Really helped with turn-in and reducing push. Best to increase your wheel width 1" to use all that rubber.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I had my GTS, I experienced what you wrote about above 125 MPH. There is no problem with my SRT Coupe. I had the Roe front fascia air duct installed and it not only cured the uplift problem but also allowed cooler operating temperatures at speed. The downside is that you have to cut a piece out of the bottom of the front fascia to do it ;and, unless you are very careful, occasionally you may hit the bottom of the stainless steel duct work which sticks down underneath and have to straighten it out. To me, it was worth it.

OP
OP

02ViperTodd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think my car is as low as it will go..In fact I've been told by other VCA members it's as low as they have seen..

I don't care about how low it is..l care about the floating on the front end..

I'm thinking about the splitter also...seems the most obvious choice.

BUT..Does anyone have any advise on the shocks?? Lots of turns on track= firm downforce....Lots of high straight aways = low down force???? Is thisd the rule?

THanks,
Todd

Whoaa GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had my car up to around 155-160 and it felt glued to the road. I have a front splitter and rear wing so dont have much basis for comparison.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another vote for the Roe hole, although I shamelessly copied it. Look under the front of a Dodge Intrepid (mine is '97) and you'll see Dodge does this also.

GTS02

Enthusiast
Reaction score

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR - a couple of questions about the 315's in the front:
Did you run Pilot Sport 315's on the front of your car or just the PS Cups?
Was this with 18" rims?
How did you like this setup for the street?

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My car use to start to lift at about 165, but since I dropped it 1 1/2, I'd say it doesn't lift till about 170-175. It gets a little light at about 180.
No additional aero dynamic help such as wings/splitters. I don't want too much drag ;)
But also still running the 275's on the front.

OP
OP

02ViperTodd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Moparman...don't hi-jack this thread from me..Start your own..No one is answering the shocks question yet..

My car is aerodynamically (sp) stock..I just need to know shock settings...Am I doing it right..Stiff for curving tracks and loose for high speed tracks...

I think everything else has been answered...

Thanks,
Todd

Landman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Both of my Vipers would get very darty above 130mph, only when I'd let off the gas. Pulling hard all the way to 160mph and smooth as hell, but as soon as I let off I better have both hands on the wheel. It's normal. My current 02GTS is lowered and has the rear spoiler and still does it. Don't be alarmed, just learn how to handle it.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have any photos of the kit installed from under the front to show the cut out section
Body shop tells me my facia with the hole cut for the Roe kit will be done getting the underside painted this week (of course they said that last week) so I hope to get the front end back on and the kit installed this weekend and hope to post some pics (my be hard to take a good pic as I do not have a lift).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang