100 Octane

cbarber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I noticed last night that our local Meijer now has Sunoco 100 octane gas at a pump in their station. Only $4.999 per gallon. Any one use this stuff with any significant difference other than a dent in your wallet ?
CB

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:

I think on a stock viper, you would be wasteing your money. .02

Agreed.

I would think it would screw with the sensors. Not worth it.

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back in the mid 90's we tried hi octane in our cars at the track. It made them slower. 100 octane fuel burns slower. That is on reason it reduces knock. Only if your engine is designed for it, would it be useful.

Engines designed for high octane (racing gas) will generally be high compression with advanced timing. Stock Vipers will not benefit. High boost supercharged/turbocharged systems can benefit from the higher octane.

OP
OP
C

cbarber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I remember back in the mid-late 60s Sunoco had here leaded gas that I think was over 100 octane may be as high as 105 octane if my memory serves me correctly. But it was only maybe a nickel more per gallon.
CB

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live out here in Connecticut and we have to burn a blend of gasoline with 10% alcohol. They are talking of going to 20%. The problem is that we can only get 93 octane. If the underground storage tanks have any water in them then the alcohol makes the fuel separates and the octane now drops to around 87 and the car pings. I have solved this problem by running octane booster, Pennszoil, in every tank while trying to buy gas the day it is delivered to the stations. This has been a huge problem in the marine industry where fuel tanks made of fiberglass with resin turn to guck and plug up everything. Ct was used as a test state last year to see what problems showed up with this fuel. They knew of the problems but have done nothing to cure these problems. I know pepole who have spent over $10,000.00 to rip out their tanks and install aluminum tanks in their boats. Hope this helps, Robbie