1000 hp twin turbo Vipers

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As others said, traction is not an issue once you get used to it and learn the power. Spinning them straight or to the side would be up to you. Once experienced with the power, you'll know what to expect. Kumhos are the best tire I had with the Viper.

I sold my TT a year ago. Driving in the city was the same as stock. Expect those around looked even more shocked when they heard the turbo blow off! :D
Just curious, why did you sell it? Also, did you have difficulty finding a tech to service your car after the TT was installed?

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Viper tech services the New England/NY area. He does not know of anyone who will work on a TT Viper, and he does not work on them. Anyone know of a good Viper tech to service a TT Viper in CT/NY area?

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
TT's aren't legal here in CA due to smog regs. I wish they were.

I went the Paxton route (925 rwhp) and find the car to be extremely drivable until the pedal gets too close to the floor. Power is very linear, unlike a turbos. I changed a few other things to help with drivability.

Recommendations:

First, change the tires to Kumho Ecsta V700's. You'll need to change the wheels to 18's, but this is easy. After a few runs you'll wonder why you did not do this sooner. Very sticky in a straight line, excellent handling and reasonable wear.

Second, change the diff to a Quaife. This is another HUGE improvement.

Third, change the shocks to Moton's. Another giant improvement.

Finally, learn to drive the car. Roll on the throttle, don't just mash it.

Have fun,

Dan

Daniel Cragin/DC Performance Inc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you are traction limited at those speeds then you may have an issue with the driveline or tires. A check of your tires, air pressure, shocks and limited slip differential could show the problem.

More power will not help if you do not improve traction. Here are some changes that will make a big change in traction.

1. Non-run flat tires
2. Better shocks, the production shocks are over sprung and underdampened (for
more power). Many choices are available.
3. A torque biasing gear driven differential will make the car track better
under power. This is a must for all our high hp cars.
4. A good computer program will smooth out the power delivery and make the car
less peaky. Average Hp will go up as well.

With all these changes, you can add more power. If not, you can better use the power you have.

Just my 2 cents,

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are traction limited at those speeds then you may have an issue with the driveline or tires. A check of your tires, air pressure, shocks and limited slip differential could show the problem.

More power will not help if you do not improve traction. Here are some changes that will make a big change in traction.

1. Non-run flat tires
2. Better shocks, the production shocks are over sprung and underdampened (for
more power). Many choices are available.
3. A torque biasing gear driven differential will make the car track better
under power. This is a must for all our high hp cars.
4. A good computer program will smooth out the power delivery and make the car
less peaky. Average Hp will go up as well.

With all these changes, you can add more power. If not, you can better use the power you have.

Just my 2 cents,
Brilliant advice Dan! Advice I will certainly follow! What tires do you recommend? I like the Kumho's, but I do not want to go to 18's. Any other tires out there that will stick that fit the SRT-10?

kllymartin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No issues here...with almost 1100rwhp...and NO traction control. Just like driving a Viper for the first time...you have to get used to it. I have the BFG 18's with the SSR wheels in addition to my 19/20's. When properly heat cycled...the BFG's are fine at the track as well as on the street...especially from a street roll-on.

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No issues here...with almost 1100rwhp...and NO traction control. Just like driving a Viper for the first time...you have to get used to it. I have the BFG 18's with the SSR wheels in addition to my 19/20's. When properly heat cycled...the BFG's are fine at the track as well as on the street...especially from a street roll-on.
I was told you get ZERO traction w/ BFG's on wet roads and that you cannot corner w/ BFG's worth a damn. Is that an issue for you w/ these on street roads?

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just checking again, I need someone in the NY/CT that will work on a TT Viper, anyone know of anyone?

kllymartin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't know of a drag radial that will get traction in wet conditions. With dry conditions, my car handles great...turning and straight. I also have the Moton Club Sports. I only use my BFG's when it's not supposed to rain, the track or whenever I need to take care of any "call-outs" on the Mexican highway. Other than that, I run my Pirelli 19/20's 80% of the time.

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just add to what others have said about drag radials... Useless and down-right dangerous in the rain. Excellent for straight line grip and give a decent ride. Cornering is not great but not terrible either. Overall, Khumos are a much better choice unless your main interest is drag racing.

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just add to what others have said about drag radials... Useless and down-right dangerous in the rain. Excellent for straight line grip and give a decent ride. Cornering is not great but not terrible either. Overall, Khumos are a much better choice unless your main interest is drag racing.
Do they make Kumho's to fit the standard SRT 10 wheels?

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same for the Moton Club Sports, do they make them to fit the standard SRT 10 wheels? or do you have to change to 18's?

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just checking again, I need someone in the NY/CT that will work on a TT Viper, anyone know of anyone?

If your serious about TT and worried about a tuner in your area i recommend a DIY TT kit. contact Paolo'CPE' & SVS.

Both make a diy (do it yourself) TT setup. build out this kit with someone you find to be a good viper tuner in your area. having the tuner perform the install will help them to 'own' the maintenance of your car in the future.

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do they make Kumho's to fit the standard SRT 10 wheels?

Khomus are not available in stock sizes. You will have to go down to an 18" rim and run a wider tire on the front. Not a big deal, though.

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Same for the Moton Club Sports, do they make them to fit the standard SRT 10 wheels? or do you have to change to 18's?

Wheel size does not matter with Motons. They are height adjustable and will work with any size wheel.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I run Kumhos in the back and PS2's in the stock size up front. No issues. Handling and traction are quite good on the street.

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish I was talented enough to install a TT on my Viper. I love my car too much to put her through any of my own TT install attempts. If I cannot find anyone in the NY/CT area to install, tune and maintain it, I will simply go w/ the Roe Gen 3 charger when and if it ever makes it to production.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just curious, why did you sell it? Also, did you have difficulty finding a tech to service your car after the TT was installed?

[/QUOTE]

Just the right time for me. I had that GTS for 5 years or so, and really had fun with it. Heffner's TT was built to be driven, and I had alot of fun with it. Did I say that twice?! :D

I didn't need to service it at all, other than what I could handle myself (which is scary :D )

All the local Dodge dealerships knew of my car and loved seeing me when i stopped by!

ROGUE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The turbo's kick in around 1500 rpm, and with much more torque.

What turbo car spools at 1500? If you're using some pea shooter GT35's MAYBE it will be winding up in the low 2k rpm range, but other than that you're absoultely wrong. The T4 size turbos don't really get going till a hair over 3k rpm, with the bigger 76's being in the mid 3k rpm range.

With good tires/shocks and 800rwhp you shouldn't get much tire spin in 3rd gear which is VERY VERY drivable on the street. 1200rw is a handfull and will blow drag radials off at 150 in 4th gear, but [*****] do you expect.

Go drive a well setup turbo car before you make generalized ASSumptions.

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The turbo's kick in around 1500 rpm, and with much more torque.

What turbo car spools at 1500? If you're using some pea shooter GT35's MAYBE it will be winding up in the low 2k rpm range, but other than that you're absoultely wrong. The T4 size turbos don't really get going till a hair over 3k rpm, with the bigger 76's being in the mid 3k rpm range.

With good tires/shocks and 800rwhp you shouldn't get much tire spin in 3rd gear which is VERY VERY drivable on the street. 1200rw is a handfull and will blow drag radials off at 150 in 4th gear, but [*****] do you expect.

Go drive a well setup turbo car before you make generalized ASSumptions.
Although my assumptions were not generalized I do stand corrected. I was off on the rpm range. Most charts/graphs I have seen show the turbo's really kicking in in the upper 3000 rpm range. No need for the :curse: however, hell, we are all on the same VIPER team!