1000 RWHP engine mods

RB185AFM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,
I currently have a 2000 GTS built by DC performance. Car currently has Vec 2, TNT Heads, Cam, Long tubes, Exhaust, Intake, and all the other mods to support heads and cam. I currently have 555 RWHP NA and I am looking to get the magic 1000 RWHP # with Twin Turbos. Being I have a cream puff what other than pistons will I have to swap in the engine? Will the stock rods handle the power or should I upgrade those? Any help would be appreciated.

Robert

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While stock rods can support 1000rwhp, it would be silly not to just spend a bit more and install rods as well as pistons while you are already in there.

Other things you will need is a fuel system(injectors/rails/pumps/etc).

carl B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just been through this!

I had forged pistons in my cream puff, Roe blower, Weldon pump and stuff

Now I want to go Twin Turbo and do rods. There are no manufactures that do rods in the length for the cream puff so I had to get an earlier set of forged pistons and a set of H beam rods to get me over the problem

Then you might consider changing out the main caps for a set of solid ones?
It goes on and on I tell ya

Carl

ROGUE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To do it right:

Forged pistons
Billet steel rods
ARP Head studs and good gaskets
ProGram billet main caps
ARP main studs

Fuel system upgrade and subsequent required tuning equipment.

The maincaps aren't mandatory but if you're going to be building the whole bottom end it's a wise investment.

Oh and if you plan to run it hard lose the lame hydraulic lifters.

OP
OP
R

RB185AFM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks,
Any one have any recommendations for a good engine builder?

ROGUE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How soon do you want it done? Whats the budget? Are you only looking for 1k hp?

ROGUE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
+1 dont let anyone but heffner touch it.

Heff is good, but take a guess at who builds his motors... it's not done in house.

There are MANY good engine shops out there, remove the blinders, quit nut swinging, and educate yourself.

Sorry no I don't have the arp part number handy. They should know what you need if you call, that or check with pro-gram, they make the billet caps.

AMong

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are MANY good engine shops out there, remove the blinders, quit nut swinging, and educate yourself.

Im not arguing that there arent many good shops , but once you've been [******] over a few times , you learn to be loyal to a shop that will do you right and does good work , part of that is promoting them ...

I have ONE person build my race motors , and ONE person touch my viper. any other way , I would be a fool , and be packin my junk up on race day.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Those pistons look REMARKABLY like the ones I had custom designed (in late 2003) for a specific engine where CP was asked to mirror the head chambers and build it for a 9:1 cr on a quench clearance of 0.0375" with stock chambers. Guess CP decided to make up a set for someone else... where's my royalty check? :p

ROGUE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks Jason. I take it thats with the ARP lube?

Carl

Yes. add 10-15ft/lbs if using regular oil/assembly lube.

Most importantly how ever you're going to assemble/torque them during the final build, be sure thats how they do it for the line hone. :2tu:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Those pistons look REMARKABLY like the ones I had custom designed (in late 2003) for a specific engine where CP was asked to mirror the head chambers and build it for a 9:1 cr on a quench clearance of 0.0375" with stock chambers. Guess CP decided to make up a set for someone else... where's my royalty check? :p

Hey Torquemonster,

Haha, funny I should run accross this...

I promise you that I did not copy anything from you- in fact, it wasnt until now that I knew you had done anything like this. No surprise it happened though- It was YOUR advise about 2 years ago that made me head out to CP, and thats the chamber profile they came back to me with after I sent them the chamber samples. Feel free to give RC a call, he was the one I worked with on this, for quite some time... sent samples back and forth, chamber drawings, etc. All specs however were from RC and my Convo's... he didnt go back to previous samples for anything.

I am PM'ing you right now... should be an interesting convo now that we are on the same page 2 years later...having done almost the same things separately!

great minds think alike?

\end tooting own horn

Viper Scot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just been through this!

I had forged pistons in my cream puff, Roe blower, Weldon pump and stuff

Now I want to go Twin Turbo and do rods. There are no manufactures that do rods in the length for the cream puff so I had to get an earlier set of forged pistons and a set of H beam rods to get me over the problem

Then you might consider changing out the main caps for a set of solid ones?
It goes on and on I tell ya

Carl

Out of interest, where do you get such work done in the UK?

carl B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am doing it!

I have built neumerous high output motors over the years for customers.

But this is my car.

Cheers

Carl

Jason Heffner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
+1 dont let anyone but heffner touch it.

Heff is good, but take a guess at who builds his motors... it's not done in house.

You are only partially correct on that one. I have built most of our engines here in house and still do some as time permits. It wasn't until recent times that I found a machine shop/engine builder that I felt comfortable assembling them for me.

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
... it's not done in house.

This is a picture of Jason putting my motor together. I'll have to dig them up, but I think I also have pics of both of the Lamborghini Gallardo motors being assembled by Jason as well. I'm not sure where you are getting this info, but it is inaccurate.
You must be registered for see images

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Torquemonster,

Haha, funny I should run accross this...

I promise you that I did not copy anything from you- in fact, it wasnt until now that I knew you had done anything like this. No surprise it happened though- It was YOUR advise about 2 years ago that made me head out to CP, and thats the chamber profile they came back to me with after I sent them the chamber samples. Feel free to give RC a call, he was the one I worked with on this, for quite some time... sent samples back and forth, chamber drawings, etc. All specs however were from RC and my Convo's... he didnt go back to previous samples for anything.

I am PM'ing you right now... should be an interesting convo now that we are on the same page 2 years later...having done almost the same things separately!

great minds think alike?

\end tooting own horn

lol - got your pm thanks and replied. Yeah - its great to see stuff done that is beyond the normal of the shelf parts. Good luck on your latest project!

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
... it's not done in house.

I'll have to dig them up, but I think I also have pics of both of the Lamborghini Gallardo motors being assembled by Jason as well.

I saw Jason putting the Gallardo motor together. He was having a blast! :D

That think was about 1/2 the size of a mighty Viper Engine! :usa:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21