1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

10g to spend on winter project (engine)

Discussion in 'SRT10 and SRT10 Coupe Discussions' started by Mamba52, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Mamba52

Mamba52 Enthusiast

Ok so I have $10g to spend on my engine this winter. My car now has 43k miles. It also has, Corsa 3 inch exhaust, RT high flo cats, 355 rear, aluminum flywheel, I would like some were in the 600 rwhp range. What would you guys do? All engine build would be nice!!!!!

2. Nine Ball

Nine Ball Enthusiast

For that power level, I'd slap on a Paxton with a legit fuel system instead of the FMU and external pumps, then get it custom dyno tuned with SCT software. It will run like a beast, and fit under your budget. The problem with most basic Paxton installs is the cheesy Split-Second box, FMU and external pumps.

Tony

3. Mamba52

Mamba52 Enthusiast

I do have a Roe Racing billet aluminum throttle body and a custom SCT tune. And i have been doing research on super charging. All motor would also be nice. I do want a min 600 RWHP.

4. ACRucrazy

ACRucrazy Enthusiast

If I had a Gen 3, I would build it for a paxton. So jealous I can't toss one on my car.

5. Nine Ball

Nine Ball Enthusiast

Paxton will get you 650-675 rwhp out of the box, without upping the boost.

6. SnakeEye

SnakeEye Viper Owner

Installed a Paxton on my Gen 3 a few years back... dyno'd ~675rwhp which is great power for the dollar with decent reliability. Check out a DLM package if you want to dial in some additional boost for even greater performance gains - Doug knows supercharging well.

7. Viktimize

Viktimize Enthusiast

I would either do the Paxton or the Greg Good heads and cam. Or save some money and just get the Mopar Gen4 intake package and cam from VPA. All of those options would get you in your power goal range.

8. ssjcreeper

ssjcreeper Viper Owner

My vote is for heads/cam. Large displacement, heads/cam cars have "presence" in my opinion. Definitely potential for higher numbers with the forced induction though.

9. mbccenter

mbccenter Enthusiast

Paxton can get you there and more when you are ready next winter. I just happen to have a complete big Paxton set up I just took off a car to sell.

10. Mamba52

Mamba52 Enthusiast

Thanks for your input guys. The only thing that worries me with a Paxton instal is that my car does have 43k miles. I will be keeping the car for a very long time. So if I do a engine build this year I could do a Paxton next year.

11. latamud

latamud Enthusiast

I'm running a base Paxton on my stock 03 with about 60k miles, 648 RWHP. As long as you keep a conservative tune you should be fine. I'm looking into the same upgrades, forged internals is my next step with Greg Good top end.

12. Nine Ball

Nine Ball Enthusiast

Makes more sense the other way around. Rock the Paxton on a stock engine for a year at 650 rwhp, then build the engine and make 850-900 rwhp. Viper engine is a low compression ratio engine, the baseline boost that the Paxton produces is baby boost. An engine built for handling boost won't make as good of power as an engine that is built to run normally aspirated. If I were building an all-motor purpose built engine, I'd shoot for 10.5-11.0:1 CR, whereas a boosted engine would be 9.0-9.5:1 CR. Completely different pistons and ring pack. Camshaft profiles would also be different, mostly overlap.

13. Mamba52

Mamba52 Enthusiast

Ok you guys made up my mind. Paxton it is!!!! I'm running a half mile event later this year in the Georgia mountains and don't want to get spanked by a Eagle Talon or the likes. So I'm on the hunt for one now!!!! Mbccenter is that a stock set up? PM me.

14. ninjakris

ninjakris Enthusiast

Are you doing the wannagofast event in Clayton? If so, look me up. I will be there working the speed system and I will have my Paxton 06 coupe with corsa. If there's time, I will give you a ride to give to an idea if the power with stock Paxton kit. My name is kris and my car is red w/ white stripes.

Don't feel bad about loosing to a talon, we had a talon do 213mph in the 1/2 mile a couple months ago in Chicago. Fastest viper ever so far is treesnakes TT car with around 190. With your mods, you should be trapping around 145-150

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  15. Mamba52

Mamba52 Enthusiast

I had a Talon AWD back in the day and it was fast for its time but 213 MPH Wow!!!!!! Winter project is getting fast tracked to NOW!!!!:drive:

16. Nine Ball

Nine Ball Enthusiast

Half mile should be good with that stock gearing up to 160 mph in 4th, but if you ever do longer pulls into 5th - you'll want to change out the transmission gearing in 5th. RPM drop going into 5th is horrible, you come out of boost and the car will feel slower in 5th than 4th.

17. Viper Club HQ

Viper Club HQ Viper Club of America Business Office VCA Member

How many Viper 2013 raffle tickets can you buy with $10,000........or buy three raffle tickets for $300 and spend the rest on mods. :)
    4 Days left and counting.
    Carry on with the wish list.

18. Mamba52

Mamba52 Enthusiast

I'm not very lucky!!! What are the odds? I'm thinking about it.

19. Viper Club HQ

Viper Club HQ Viper Club of America Business Office VCA Member

There are only 2700 tickets available for purchase.

All it takes is one ticket to win a dream.

20. PeterMJ

PeterMJ Enthusiast

Why not buy a couple of tickets and save the rest? Or maybe buy something you can take off the car when you are ready to move on to Gen 4? Your car has a few miles on it, any add ons may stress the engine too much and you will be needing another 10k to rebuild it. Sounds like you have a kick azz car already.

21. Mamba52

Mamba52 Enthusiast

Thanks PeterMJ I really wanted a Gen5 but for now I will wait as I just purchased another toy (motorcycle). I love working on my Viper and I'm not afraid of pulling the engine if need be. I now drive my car about once a month or when I need to put a smile on my face. Just need more power!!!!!!! And yes I'm buying a few tickets. You never know.

22. Mamba52

Mamba52 Enthusiast

Ok so I think I made up my mind. VPA Mopar heads, MM Headers, and not sure about the VPA of Roe fuel pump, the reason why I'm shying away from the super charger is the weight on the front end. I believe it adds around 200 LBS but I could be wrong. I have tried to reduce as much weight on my car as possible.
    Now if I go this route will I be able to smoke a Gen3 bolt on Paxton car
    My mods to date
    Gen4 six spoke wheels
    Corsa exhaust with RT high flow cats
    Eraispeed rotors
    Vipair Gen4 carbon hood
    Vipair coil over shocks
    Aluminum fly wheel
    Roe Billet aluminum throttle body
    Kn intake
    355 rear gears

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  23. SSGNRDZ_28

SSGNRDZ_28 Enthusiast

I'm with you on the weight savings approach. Heading down the same path myself slowly but surely. How much weight did the fly wheel save and which one did you get? Have you noticed any drivability issues?

If you have any cash left over, why not save some more weight with the DSE battery cover!

24. Nine Ball

Nine Ball Enthusiast

Paxton kit might add 80 lbs. It isn't that heavy, and the kit intercooler is pretty small.

25. Mamba52

Mamba52 Enthusiast

Thanks Nine Ball for the info. Not sure we're I got 200lbs from. On another note just got my VCA raffle tickets!!! Maybe I will be joining you with a brand new Gen5.:headbang: