11.1@ 127 Pretty strong!

Viper Grenade

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bla bla blad....all that is proven is ANOTHER gen5 fail, it really is a simple as that.

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ETA is not really the biggest issue; the lower than expected mph is the issue. Many of us hoped to see the Gen V in the low 130s for mph--at least before we saw the specs of the Gen V. It was great that Dodge--I mean SRT--allowed a car to go to the strip, and it certainly looks like the driver was very good from all accounts.

GTSNRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
11.1 while bogging is pretty damn good. 127 trap speed is good for 10s with a decent launch.

I can shift faster than this driver. And, you aren't supposed to do burnouts while sitting IN the water. You simply roll through the water to get the tires wet, and do the burnout just past the water - on a dry section of track.

This car was hot lapped ALL DAY LONG so the clutch was D O N E ! I personally backed him in the water as not to cause any more heat in the clutch. I have driven several of my Vipers below 1.5 60ft times (1.34 in my b&w s/c car by doing burnouts this way... I should have brought him slowly forward out of the water ... One downside was the humidity/temp as well as the W A Y too tall gearing with the tire setup that was on it :( These cars will DO 10's

The guy directing him back into the water .. I dunno why he did a burnout there, if anything a spin and pull out, then a solid burn and then a dry hop.

I personally have gotten way better results by starting in the water and slowly heating the tires while rolling out. I don't like adding extra heat/stress to the driveline or tires by dry hopping

Last edited:

GTSNRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly, all things considered the car is an incredible performer, It put up with hot lapping all day long in the south florida heat without even a hiccup! Guys this car is IMPRESSIVE , I assure you the thing will do 10's with only a pair of shorter tires! especially with cooler weather conditions. I'm very pleased with the results personally

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This Gen.5 will go into the 10s when the Master Drag Racer Dr.R.W.gets his Gen.5....

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I won't care until Evan Smith makes a pass. He is the best driver in the world!!!!!!!!!1!!1!!1!

:rolaugh: :rolaugh:

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I personally have gotten way better results by starting in the water and slowly heating the tires while rolling out. I don't like adding extra heat/stress to the driveline or tires by dry hopping

The problem with burning out in the puddle of water is that you sling water up into the wheel wells, which ends up dripping on top of the tires and on top of the starting line. Same safety reason that we avoid running the A/C at the drag strip - to keep water off the launch surface. You only need to get the tires wet, then roll forward slightly, into the damp zone, but not in the puddle. It will still burn out just as easy doing so. These drag radials are like slippery butter when they are just a little damp.

GTSNRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem with burning out in the puddle of water is that you sling water up into the wheel wells, which ends up dripping on top of the tires and on top of the starting line. Same safety reason that we avoid running the A/C at the drag strip - to keep water off the launch surface. You only need to get the tires wet, then roll forward slightly, into the damp zone, but not in the puddle. It will still burn out just as easy doing so. These drag radials are like slippery butter when they are just a little damp.

I completely respect your opinion as I know you are a great driver too, and I concur with your logic, however I personally have never had my 60ft. times
be any higher than a 1.6 in any of my S/C Vipers on a decent prepped track while starting the burnout in the front edge of the water box and rolling out directly after starting the rotation, I haven't noticed if a little bit of water drip hampered my launches, but if it did it I would be surprised due to the amount of surface area of hot rubber vs. a drip or few of water droplets. Any way, moving on, I can't wait to see the GenV's back on the strip!:drive:

Last edited:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My BONE STOCK (STOCK TIRES )Gen 4 ran 11.2 at 128.7 in 80 degree weather (Englishtown NJ)If the Gen 5 was run at a sealevel track the mph is LOW .

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My BONE STOCK (STOCK TIRES )Gen 4 ran 11.2 at 128.7 in 80 degree weather (Englishtown NJ)If the Gen 5 was run at a sealevel track the mph is LOW .

Wow thats impressive my mod'd Gen 4 only ran 11.6@128Mph in Canada but stock gen 4's were only running 118-120Mph the same day. What kind of 60ft and launch technique?

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a video of a Gen 4 running 10.9xxx. This Gen 5 can easily break the 10 second barrier. Just let me have the keys to one for 30 minutes. It will get a 10 second run...................:D

GTSNRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a video of a Gen 4 running 10.9xxx. This Gen 5 can easily break the 10 second barrier. Just let me have the keys to one for 30 minutes. It will get a 10 second run...................:D

Brooks and Steven drove the car very well, they would have both easily broke into the 10's had the weather been a little cooler and or they had a shorter tire.
It was simply geared too tall with the new 1st geat and those M/Ts. The car was very consistent and they both drove the car respectfully as to not hurt it.
Big thanks to Ralph for sending the car and Brooks & Steven for doing a great job testing with the car!!

AJ usmc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
am I the only one that noticed the bad hood shake when he spun the tires to warm em up? that's sure is going to chip some paint.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I noticed that also. Hopefully, it is not a production car phenomenon. This car was a production spec marketing car.

Some of the trap speed result may have been from right lane speed measuring equipment malfunction or miscalibration. One poster above reported a 5 MPH difference detected lane to lane with his VBox when comaring his average trap speeds from lane to lane. Another, who has not posted, also noticed that the trap speeds shown for the right lane were low compared to his runs on the left lane. S

omeone posted above that they ran an 11.2 in a stock Gn IV in 80 degree weather. That's great but what was the humidity on that day and was the run with a cool engine or after hot lapping? Once again, each run on each day under the particular temp, humidity, baraometric pressure and track conditions stands by itself. Brooks' 11.1 was achieved while hot lapping the car when humidity was higher than 65% and the temperature was approximately 79 degrees.

am I the only one that noticed the bad hood shake when he spun the tires to warm em up? that's sure is going to chip some paint.

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems like the revised gearing was a fail. Here on the launch and against the ZR1 0-150. Seems like 2014 should get new gears...

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps a gearing option for those who wish to drag race as opposed to road race.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All someone needs to do is go to the Dodge in Davie Fl. and buy one of the two Gen 5s they have in the show room and bring it to Palm Beach and run it on a cool night. A fresh car ,good conditions and a good driver the Gen.5 should be in the 10s.By the way,I noticed a 4 mph difference(slower) in the right lane than the left lane at PB with my Turbo S.Right lane 10.8s@ 126 and left lane 130...

Thought on going getting one of the Gen.5s from Davie,20,000.00 over sticker,they are crazy and the cars are just sitting their.....

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are the third person to have noticed the difference that I know of. So, the evidence is suggestive that there was somethng wrong with the right lane speed measurement.

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that might work in California, but not DAVIE!

we ran the turbo S three times, none were in the left lane?? BTW, I'll get those videos up today....

When does Ray's Gen V come in? We know he'll be at the track with it, no show n shine only for Ray... :)

All someone needs to do is go to the Dodge in Davie Fl. and buy one of the two Gen 5s they have in the show room and bring it to Palm Beach and run it on a cool night. A fresh car ,good conditions and a good driver the Gen.5 should be in the 10s.By the way,I noticed a 4 mph difference(slower) in the right lane than the left lane at PB with my Turbo S.Right lane 10.8s@ 126 and left lane 130...

Thought on going getting one of the Gen.5s from Davie,20,000.00 over sticker,they are crazy and the cars are just sitting their.....

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dr.White will get his Gen 5 as soon as they make it.He is hanging low till he gets his new Snake, then all hell will brake loose and their will be no more questions if the Gen 5 will go in the 10s....

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems like the revised gearing was a fail. Here on the launch and against the ZR1 0-150. Seems like 2014 should get new gears...
4th gear is the same. 1st gear might be an issue for the launch with tall tires..

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish a consistant 10 second pass in the Gen V would be possible. It appears there won't be enough hp or the right transmission gearing to get a stock tired car there without a fully prepped track,50 degree weather and a negative DA. At that point the Porshe and the Mc laren will be even quicker as well.

I hope the smell of all that new leather hides the stink of its' average (for the money)performance.

I do think if it takes much longer I may have to cancel and order a convertible to cruise around in.

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish a consistant 10 second pass in the Gen V would be possible. It appears there won't be enough hp or the right transmission gearing to get a stock tired car there without a fully prepped track,50 degree weather and a negative DA. At that point the Porshe and the Mc laren will be even quicker as well.

I hope the smell of all that new leather hides the stink of its' average (for the money)performance.

I do think if it takes much longer I may have to cancel and order a convertible to cruise around in.

*** is wrong with people a low 11 high 10 second car is far from average ! Weird??

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
4th gear is the same. 1st gear might be an issue for the launch with tall tires..

4TH Gear has the same ratio, but the 3.55 doesn't perform as well on the top end as the prior 3.07. The Gen IV is on par with a ZR1 0-150, yet somehow a lighter more powerful Gen V isn't. I know people are overly negative and I've just tried to be honest, but can we stop with the excuses? I think the Viper community would be better served if we admitted the straight line performance of this car isn't what it should be and maybe SRT will do something.

I really truly think the Viper should go back go prior gearing. It'll let more power get to the ground too....

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well you can't have your cake and eat it too. You want all-wheel-drive and consistent 10's? Fine, let's make this thing weigh 3800 pounds like the competition an kiss the Laguna Seca record goodbye. This car kicks ass and takes names on the track and I mean road course, not straight-line. I had a supercharged Camaro that didn't spin the tires at all in the quarter mile, but who cares, it handled like a pig on the twisties. I think SRT got their priorities right on this one.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21