11.1@ 127 Pretty strong!

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good running,but this is with a outstanding drag racing driver and Drag Radials....With normal driver and stock tires,high 11s car.Just the way it is...

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Disagree. A Gen3 is high 11s, stock, on run flats. Gen 4 is mid to low 11s. Gen V should be low 11s -high 10s with the right driver and tires.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If a stock Gen IV can hit 10's, which it did, a Gen V on drag radials should be 10.5.
That sounds like a serious leap in performance. The majority of these mythical times people convince themselves that their car can accomplish tend to come from the Northeast. It's always that one great run on the absolute perfect day with atmosphere below sea level that everyone posts. How about the thousand other runs wher guys can't even run 12's. Anyone been to a VOI lately? Don't kid yourself 11.1 @ 127 is a great time.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This was posted over a week ago. It's the same car. I find it funny everyone ***** about the car in one thread totally ignoring the 11.1 mentioned time, but once there is video its different LOL

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/664387-Viper-racing-at-PBIR-YESTERDAY

It has manufacturer plates on it and is an engineer car that they had "hidden" for much time.

I also wish this forum would automatically imebed youtube videos like many other forums

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hJ7Ljqy395o

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just saying what I saw all day long. I have had 3 Vipers, including a Gen 4.I love the Snakes. The Gen 5 ran 11.30s to 11.60s with a good driver and then with a outstanding driver,it ran 11,teens.That is all the Gen 5 had. Period ...My Porsche 911 Turbo S ran 10.80s bone stock at the same time,which is were it should be.Their was nothing wrong with the track and weather that day.I was impressed how strong the Gen 5. ran and did not break.By the way,mid 11s is smoking fast anyways...

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Come to the Mile High City, it will deflate the ego numbers real quick. Altitude, ambient temp, track temp, and all the other factors play a HUGE factor. This mythical times are as achieveable as 640 factory "quadra-horn" power at 5,280 ft. 1/4 mile times are only relevant at the same track, same time of the same day.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Because you have to dragrace at 5800 feet it makes this time mythical?

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good run and E.T.:2tu: With a set of our new G5 long tube headers and our new G5 competition clutch kits, mid 10.80's should be right around the corner.. Then the Viper will truly be in the Super Car crowd IMO, just needs the power potential unleashed..

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE
Toddy

=DISTRIBUTORS OF POWER=:usa:

supersnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good running,but this is with a outstanding drag racing driver and Drag Radials....With normal driver and stock tires,high 11s car.Just the way it is...
I hope you were joking with an outstanding driver, He was asleep for over 3 seconds at the light. Lets get a good cut at the light and see were we end up.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope you were joking with an outstanding driver, He was asleep for over 3 seconds at the light. Lets get a good cut at the light and see were we end up.

He wasn't racing anyone... He wasn't going for a good light. He wasn't asleep at the light. This is pretty common practice for high HP fast cars doing a solo run going for a good ET.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exectly..
He was just doing a time run.The guy driving the Gen.5 is a serious good driver...

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the video shows the car using launch control. If that was an 11.1 run, that car has a lot left to offer. With the tall tire, aluminum flywheel and a well prepped track he was having a hard time keeping up the wheel speed, the car was bogging 20' out. With a little bit of controlled wheel spin that 60 ft time would improve and along with it the ET.

BigBadViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the video shows the car using launch control. If that was an 11.1 run, that car has a lot left to offer. With the tall tire, aluminum flywheel and a well prepped track he was having a hard time keeping up the wheel speed, the car was bogging 20' out. With a little bit of controlled wheel spin that 60 ft time would improve and along with it the ET.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I would love to see his 60' times, but if they were under 1.9, I would be surprised. I would say if he could get his 60' times down this car has a 10.8 in it.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
11.1 while bogging is pretty damn good. 127 trap speed is good for 10s with a decent launch.

I can shift faster than this driver. And, you aren't supposed to do burnouts while sitting IN the water. You simply roll through the water to get the tires wet, and do the burnout just past the water - on a dry section of track.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to VOI12, I only got one pass in my stock gen4, it was drizzling at the top end of the track & I got an 11.7 which I was disappointed with, considering my gen3 ran a slowest of 11.93 and 11.70's with simple off-idle launch, no drama. My '03 MPH was 126MPH, so seeing the gen5 at 127 doesn't thrill me. ET I don't care too much, since it's so driver dependent, but MPH is fairly consistent, I don't know why it's not hitting 130, with less weight, more HP and 3.55's to get out of the hole, but someday I'll find out, when I get one. But then, none of this matters becasue it's "mythical" I guess. LOL

The guy directing him back into the water .. I dunno why he did a burnout there, if anything a spin and pull out, then a solid burn and then a dry hop. As for sitting there, that's what you do when focused on trying for an ET, let it turn, then settle and go, clock starts whent he beam breaks not the green light.

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
less stress on the clutch and drivetrain (less chance of hopping) doing a burnout in the water, let the car roll out towards the end to get the water off and feel the tires bite, tires were plenty hot and the car was hooking just fine...

Last edited:

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to VOI12, I only got one pass in my stock gen4, it was drizzling at the top end of the track & I got an 11.7 which I was disappointed with, considering my gen3 ran a slowest of 11.93 and 11.70's with simple off-idle launch, no drama. My '03 MPH was 126MPH, so seeing the gen5 at 127 doesn't thrill me. ET I don't care too much, since it's so driver dependent, but MPH is fairly consistent, I don't know why it's not hitting 130, with less weight, more HP and 3.55's to get out of the hole, but someday I'll find out, when I get one. But then, none of this matters becasue it's "mythical" I guess. LOL

The guy directing him back into the water .. I dunno why he did a burnout there, if anything a spin and pull out, then a solid burn and then a dry hop. As for sitting there, that's what you do when focused on trying for an ET, let it turn, then settle and go, clock starts whent he beam breaks not the green light.

Correct me if I'm wrong...it does have a 3.55 rear gear, but the transmission ratios have been revised (2.26 1st gear vs. 2.66 for the previous Vipers) so that first gear is even LONGER now than it was with the Gen IV (2.66 1st with a 3.07 rear gear). That isn't helping matters any in the launching department, as is evident from the bogging in the videos.

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
correct, here are the gear ratios and speed per gear...

http://www.dragtimes.com/2013-Dodge-Viper-gear-ratios-top-speed-100.html

Correct me if I'm wrong...it does have a 3.55 rear gear, but the transmission ratios have been revised (2.26 1st gear vs. 2.66 for the previous Vipers) so that first gear is even LONGER now than it was with the Gen IV (2.66 1st with a 3.07 rear gear). That isn't helping matters any in the launching department, as is evident from the bogging in the videos.

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That sounds like a serious leap in performance. The majority of these mythical times people convince themselves that their car can accomplish tend to come from the Northeast. It's always that one great run on the absolute perfect day with atmosphere below sea level that everyone posts. How about the thousand other runs wher guys can't even run 12's. Anyone been to a VOI lately? Don't kid yourself 11.1 @ 127 is a great time.

What? The viper isn't even reaching its full potential at 11.1s. Sea level or elevated doesn't matter, because thanks to recent innovations in math we can use numbers to standards ETs and compare them.

Why do thousands of other guys not break 12s? My guess is that the vast majority of people hit the drag strip once in a while and don't have a feel for their car. If you have to use launch control you don't have a feel for your car and LC will help consistency but it will not let you cut the best ETs.

Come to the Mile High City, it will deflate the ego numbers real quick. Altitude, ambient temp, track temp, and all the other factors play a HUGE factor. This mythical times are as achieveable as 640 factory "quadra-horn" power at 5,280 ft. 1/4 mile times are only relevant at the same track, same time of the same day.

The advertised engine HP rating is SAE corrected and measured at the crank in a controlled environment; if it's 640 HP at sea level it you will lose approximately 20% at a 1 mile elevation, which works out to 128 HP. That leaves you with enough power to cut respectable low 12s to high 11s ETs.

I would say track prep is the largest variable in the mix aside from high altitudes...some tracks just **** while others do a great job keeping the track clean and sticky.

That rear hatch GAP isn't going to go away anytime soon, is it?

I heard MOPAR is going to offer the "rear hatch gap delete" add-on for $6,500 or $7,500 if you want it in carbon fiber.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well put, with a 27.5" tire and a longer first gear the overall ratio for a Gen5 in 1st gear is numerically lower than a Gen2 wirh
3.07's.

The answer is 3.73's or 18" hoosiers
[

QUOTE=SilveRT8;3174279]Since we'll have to shift to fourth gear in the 1/4 mile, 3.73 gears could help and be more fun on daily driving in the street[QuotWel

Last edited:

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That rear hatch GAP isn't going to go away anytime soon, is it?

I still don't understand why SRT would have another ugly line cutting into the body...They did it with the SRT coupe and it looked terrible. Glass should have been done same as old GTS. If all of the exotics and supercars can have glass engine bonnets, I don't see why SRT couldn't have engineered a glass-only hatch.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still don't understand why SRT would have another ugly line cutting into the body...They did it with the SRT coupe and it looked terrible. Glass should have been done same as old GTS. If all of the exotics and supercars can have glass engine bonnets, I don't see why SRT couldn't have engineered a glass-only hatch.

I agree and it was one of my first thoughts, however one of the answers is obviously for more/easier/bigger access to the hatch.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's interesting reading comments about Q mile performance on this thread and others by people who were there and not there. The weather was not ideal. It was 74 to more than 80 degrees by 12 PM with humidity above 65% at all times. Brooks hot lapped the car to allow him to get used to it. He tried it with launch control and without it. He also varied other launch parameters. I saw almost no one hot lapping other than Brooks and me. The car was a production spec marketing car that had been abused a bit by a stunt driver at another location before being used at this event. The clutch was not perfect.

It really is somewhat absurd that people compare a run they did at another time under different conditions with a car they are completely familiar with to what occurred here.

Brooks did a great job acclimating to the car and doing an 11.1 on one of his runs. Does the car have a sub 11 run in it? Of course. On a day when humidity is 30% and the temperature is 60 degrees with a cool engine at the same track with the same good track prep, it will easily do a sub 11 run and I would not be surprised if Brooks is the first one to do same at PBIR when the weather changes in the Fall.