11.1@ 127 Pretty strong!

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I am a diehard to a fault. So say the old Viper friends who now drive GTR's,Turbo Porsche's,Mc Claren's and Ford GT's. I hope my 2013 won't be my last.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Start your own thread if you want to be constructive, this thread is about drag racing a Gen V. You still want to go off course and try to prove your point. When drag racing a car with this power, the 150 mph number is meaningless. You then go off and talk about prepared cars/modded cars that are turning 10's, what is wrong with you, this car was pre-production, stock and the first time on a drag strip. When you make a comment like that, it is obvious you have very little experience on the drag strip.

Why do all the negative posts start off by saying " I am trying to be constructive", as I said, be constructive and start your own thread, to this point IMHO nothing you have offered is constructive, then, I could be wrong. By the way, in that same review the (150 mph run against the ZR1), the viper beat the ZR1 in the 1/4 mile, selective memory always helps when trying to be constructive.

First of all, I am trying to be constructive with my criticisms on this board. Believe me, I am a huge Viper fan, but I was participating in what I felt to be constructive criticism. I think foremost that the Gen V isn't complete and it will have changes over the years with big impact each time. Right, wrong, or indifferent, in my opinion I thought constructive criticism will benefit the Viper in the long run. I am in no way intending to be negative and I don't think for the money there is a better car available. I simply felt that SRT missed on a few things and missed big on a couple. I'm not one that feels we need a horsepower number that needs a comma to write, but I do feel we should have the best platform.

So lets focus on your reaction. First you say "you are wrong again." This is a nonsensical statement since we didn't have posts that highlight the first "wrong-doing." It really only served to make your point bigger, or somehow more valid. Secondly, I never mentioned tire sizes. Only you brought them into the conversation to make a point that I didn't make to have your point be correct. Again, nonsensical, or "constructive" since we are on the subject. Third of all, the comment about the ZR1 is absolutely valid considering we lost to one 0-150 by 1 second (which is a long time, especially considering vehicles that are basically identical on paper) Lastly, I simply pointed out, as did the real-world results, that the SRT didn't perform in a straight line like it should have. Back to my point, I think the platform is almost there, but in my opinion, which you partially supported, the gearing could be improved. We have a great frame, a reliable and powerful engine, lightweight construction, but you can't tell me that SRT couldn't have done better in some aspects. Even taking consideration of the budget and time, there were somethings that just didn't make sense. Again, simply my humble opinion and I just got tired of all the excuses every time something happened just like some are rightfully tired of ********.

So lets continue being constructive and the Viper will continue to improve. Don't tout me as someone with no drag race or mechanical experience with drag racing because you'd be dead wrong. I will say this too, 98-02 Camaro's and Trans Am's that could put down 580-590 to the wheels were making 10 second passes all day long. So guess what? People expected a 10 second pass, especially with drag radials and who appears to be a great driver.

Rant over...

Last edited:

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did the Gen III or IV set their lowest 1/4 mile their first time out on a preproduction car?

Did the Gen IV set the record at Laguna or 'Ring their first time out on a preproduction car?

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The new viper will go 10's with the right driver and burnout. It is clear that the guy in the video does not know what he is doing. You never, ever do a burnout on the water beacuse you only wanna spin your tire there a few times to get them wet. Then, you do the burnout on the dry pavement like a man for a maximum of 3 seconds is all you need. Also, 99% of the people in this forum don't know bananas about drag racing and never went 10s in their lives but are talking like they are John Force here..

Even if the new car goes high tens I am not impressed at all because this car costs +140k. My friend's 5 liter mustang GT is going 10.7 NATURALLY ASPIRATED in a 28 thousand dollar car with 5-8k in mods. That to me, gentlement is much more impressive overall with an engine that is half of the displacement and a rear end and tranny that can take the abuse( different than the viper) over and over again. So, like a wise viper member said once and I will repeat that again: With 640 hp in this pushrod V10 in 2013 this viper will be everyones B**c on the street and drag track. Don't even try against, mustang GTs, Shelbys and GTRs because they will embarasse you on the streets... Your best and ONLY option is road racing and that is the only place this car will beat the competition.

By the end of this summer, I will be running high-mid 9's in my 30k 2013 mustang gt reliably with 20k in mods and TUNED Computer while my Gen IV ACR will still be a high-mid 10 sec car at the track with a locked computer and cost me over 100k to barely go below 11 seconds... Yep, I did my math, I am taking the mustang for the street and drag track!!! Call me crazy but having tons of fun with my ford!
Not buying dodge anymore until they realize that they need a new viper powerplant with a modern DOHC V10 and an option for an automatictranny and tunable CPU. I don't need fancy interior, thanks.

Good buy.... bye...

Last edited:

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, actually the SRT is $99k, but lets not let reality interject here.

I don't see how it will be everyone's *****, it will certainly be faster than any stock Gen I - IV!

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new viper will go 10's with the right driver and burnout. It is clear that the guy in the video does not know what he is doing. You never, ever do a burnout on the water beacuse you only wanna spin your tire there a few times to get them wet. Then, you do the burnout on the dry pavement like a man for a maximum of 3 seconds is all you need. Also, 99% of the people in this forum don't know bananas about drag racing and never went 10s in their lives but are talking like they are John Force here..

Even if the new car goes high tens I am not impressed at all because this car costs +140k. My friend's 5 liter mustang GT is going 10.7 NATURALLY ASPIRATED in a 28 thousand dollar car with 5-8k in mods. That to me, gentlement is much more impressive overall with an engine that is half of the displacement and a rear end and tranny that can take the abuse( different than the viper) over and over again. So, like a wise viper member said once and I will repeat that again: With 640 hp in this pushrod V10 in 2013 this viper will be everyones B**c on the street and drag track. Don't even try against, mustang GTs, Shelbys and GTRs because they will embarasse you on the streets... Your best and ONLY option is road racing and that is the only place this car will beat the competition.

By the end of this summer, I will be running high-mid 9's in my 30k 2013 mustang gt reliably with 20k in mods and TUNED Computer while my Gen IV ACR will still be a high-mid 10 sec car at the track with a locked computer and cost me over 100k to barely go below 11 seconds... Yep, I did my math, I am taking the mustang for the street and drag track!!! Call me crazy but having tons of fun with my ford!
Not buying dodge anymore until they realize that they need a new viper powerplant with a modern DOHC V10 and an option for an automatic and tunable CPU.

Good buy.... bye...
Will the engine in your mustang last 200k miles?

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 8k forged aluminator motor Will last a long time and run 9's on 10-12lbs of boost. Will your Gen V viper acomplish that crazy fast number during its 200k life? Ohhhh I forgot your still in the 11-11.5 sec club with a locked computer... Never mind. Long life to you and your car. Hope you both live forever..

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, actually the SRT is $99k, but lets not let reality interject here.

I don't see how it will be everyone's *****, it will certainly be faster than any stock Gen I - IV!

I personally don't see it being that much faster than a gen IV with headers and ECU. IT is the SAME engine with a little bump in HP and torque.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are being a bit unfair to "the driver". It was his first time driving the vehicle. As you stated, it is not an optimal drag racing platform. It is a road racer. He hot lapped the car and, while doing so, tried a number of different launch techniques. One of those runs, with a hot engine and a less than perfect clutch, resulted in an 11.1. Not bad for a road racer.

Are there less expensive, modded, faster cars in the quarter mile? Absolutely. But SRT was not trying to produce the fastest quarter mile car. However, they were considerate enough to build the road racer with forged internals so that those who wished to modify the car for increased straight line performance whether that be in the quarter mile or standing mile, could more reliably do so. Now all they need to do is work with MOPAR to produce and release an open code, off road controller. Enjoy your Mustang but for those who want or need some exclusivity and cache in their performance vehicle, a Mustang is never going to fulfill their needs. Is that wrong? I do not think so. Just different.

Not buying dodge anymore until they realize that they need a new viper powerplant with a modern DOHC V10 and an option for an automatictranny and tunable CPU. I don't need fancy interior, thanks.

Good buy.... bye...

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You are being a bit unfair to "the driver". It was his first time driving the vehicle. As you stated, it is not an optimal drag racing platform. It is a road racer. He hot lapped the car and, while doing so, tried a number of different launch techniques. One of those runs, with a hot engine and a less than perfect clutch, resulted in an 11.1. Not bad for a road racer.

Are there less expensive, modded, faster cars in the quarter mile? Absolutely. But SRT was not trying to produce the fastest quarter mile car. However, they were considerate enough to build the road racer with forged internals so that those who wished to modify the car for increased straight line performance whether that be in the quarter mile or standing mile, could more reliably do so. Now all they need to do is work with MOPAR to produce and release an open code, off road controller. Enjoy your Mustang but for those who want or need some exclusivity and cache in their performance vehicle, a Mustang is never going to fulfill their needs. Is that wrong? I do not think so. Just different.

I agree with you. the viper is a gorgeus car and a head turner. It just breaks my heart to see these amazing looking car with a 2010 engine in it.
Trust me, if this new car had a 8 liter or even 7.5L DOHC v10 engine around 700Hp and option for an automatic I would be the first one in line to get it because it would be in a different level than it is now... Hey, maybe they come with an auto some time would be a great start... to an amazing design gen V.. but if the pushrods stay I am not buying it:nono:

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob:

V10Lover should get some type of award, it has to be tough to come up with 242 reasons (total posts) why he hates the Gen 5. At least he is honest about his location, "Some Where back In Time".

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bob:

V10Lover should get some type of award, it has to be tough to come up with 242 reasons (total posts) why he hates the Gen 5. At least he is honest about his location, "Some Where back In Time".

I never said I hate the GEN V, the car looks great but hey take it the way you want.. I must really bother you so you even go through my #of posts... Keep on counting them eventually you will get tired.. I have the RIGHT to have an opinion of whatever I feel like having. Too bad if you don 't like, bud. Could care less. I could come with 2795 posts why your still didn't go 9's in the year of 2013 with your 1997 rusted car and making over 900 RWHP. I don't think I am the one stuck back in time... You are the one that are... I evolve and like technology and what they can bring out to our cars... Funny guy... keep on trying..

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Silly pushrod fanboy,, so much effort and sweat to go past 5500 rpms. hahahahahaaha:rolaugh:
Past 5500 RPS is more friction, which means more energy is wasted just turning the parts of the engine. If I want something that's fast and sounds like a sewing machine, I'll buy a crotch rocket!

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went through the first ten and last ten, the rant was the same. I only did that because I was trying to figure out why you are even on this board. You can fix everything , merely put your money where your mouth is and buy somthing that lives up to your expectations. What is holding you back?

I never said I hate the GEN V, the car looks great but hey take it the way you want.. I must really bother you so you even go through my #of posts... Keep on counting them eventually you will get tired.. I have the RIGHT to have an opinion of whatever I feel like having. Too bad if you don 't like, bud. Could care less. I could come with 2795 posts why your still didn't go 9's in the year of 2013 with your 1997 rusted car and making over 900 RWHP. I don't think I am the one stuck back in time... You are the one that are... I evolve and like technology and what they can bring out to our cars... Funny guy... keep on trying..

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can tell who has any type of design background in these type of threads. Be it engineering, production, industrial design. "It should have had 934.35 RWHP and been able to be powered by unicorn farts, been able to run 8's out of the gate and set the Laguna record driving backwards" - yeah, I've dealt with your kind myself.

Here is what the "should haves" would have ended up with
You must be registered for see images

Hey cool, a Mustang that runs 9's. A nice personal accomplishment, but this is a Gen V forum filled with Gen V owners (and waiting forever to be owners), it doesn't really matter. No one with a Lamborghini, 911TTs, McLaren feels bad about their cars because you are running 9's.

01viper4me

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Good buy.... bye...

A couple things to point out. You could make a Civic run 9's for the cost of a new SRT Viper. You can buy a GEN1, 2, or 3 Viper and make it run 9's for the cost of a new Viper. Hell I could take a mini van and throw in a Nelson Racing Engine and build it to run 9's for the cost of a new Viper. This is the same argument about the Veyron... "I can spend 200k on an AMS Alpha 12 GTR and smoke a Veyron". Your argument is trivial, childish and a perfect example of bench racing.... "i have a friend with 'insert car' that could smoke the new Viper." The simple fact is that stock vs. stock (including tires) there is not a Mustang (excluding the Super Snake) that will beat the new Viper in any category except for HP and passengers it can hold. If you bought your Gen IV ACR for its drag racing capabilities you completely miss the point of that car. If you find the most enjoyment out of running the best 1/4 mile you can, the Viper is not the car for you.
Ultimately your argument is like choosing a wife simply on one good character trait... sure she could be the spawn of satan, horrible in the sack, ugly, and controlling... but as long as she is a phenomenal cook it is okay. Most of us are willing to wait and invest more in finding the all around best wife who may not be the best at one thing but is great at everything.

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 8k forged aluminator motor Will last a long time and run 9's on 10-12lbs of boost. Will your Gen V viper acomplish that crazy fast number during its 200k life? Ohhhh I forgot your still in the 11-11.5 sec club with a locked computer... Never mind. Long life to you and your car. Hope you both live forever..

News flash a Viper is not a single trick pony like a Mustang and wasn't built to 1/4 period, either way your still going to be driving a stang but then again a Stang is like assholes everyone has one :)

madninjaskillz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
V10lover - You have lots of negative things to say that really don't help or add to the arugement. The Gen5 does not "check the box" for me in every category but it is a great start and something to build upon. It still has just about every track record because that's what it was built for. Who gives a **** about stock quarter numbers for this car. Seriously. Almost everyone who will 1/4 these cars will mod them anyway... And then get beat by a Mustang. Unless of course they race Sal's viper =P If you want a 1/4 mile car, buy the Challenger drag car or stick with your Mustang.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree with you. the viper is a gorgeus car and a head turner. It just breaks my heart to see these amazing looking car with a 2010 engine in it.
Trust me, if this new car had a 8 liter or even 7.5L DOHC v10 engine around 700Hp and option for an automatic I would be the first one in line to get it because it would be in a different level than it is now... Hey, maybe they come with an auto some time would be a great start... to an amazing design gen V.. but if the pushrods stay I am not buying it:nono:

I don't think that an 8L DOCH is going to fit under the hood. Also, be ready to have the car add some weight, with a higher center of gravity no less.

Automatic? Maybe vipers aren't for you.

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think that an 8L DOCH is going to fit under the hood. Also, be ready to have the car add some weight, with a higher center of gravity no less.

Automatic? Maybe vipers aren't for you.

Since every other high performance manufacture has been able to "make it fit" I don't think it would be out of SRT's scope.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone seems to forget what the Gen V is, it isn't a crazy new, well funded project. It was a shoe string budget dream to evolve the Gen IV platform. Pray enough dummies like myself buy into the dream so that the Gen VI can be revolutionary instead of evolutionary and push the envelope even further.

Building software, I am well aware of the "if you add this feature, we will buy it" crowd. There is always one thing missing that they "won't buy it because of."

I love the Gen V for what it is. Would I like more, obviously. But, to doubt it isn't still amazing as is, is short sighted. Hopefully it sells well and in 5 years we will be ordering a Gen VI that eats whatever lunch the competition has at that time.

Remember folks, this isn't 1992 anymore where dropping more HP into a car produces better results. The high end car market purely isn't the same anymore. There are a lot of players, a lot of well funded, focuses players. Upping HP output isn't the trump card it was 20 years ago. Which is why the whole "It should have had 750 RWHP" argument is just a fallacy.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im only pissed at SRT for locking that damn computer. if they would open it up, the viper would be untouchable on the street for the most part. i guess its possible and we mod types can pray they offer something sooner than later.. unmodded im not thrilled with the car out of the box other than looks. it does look ****

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Since every other high performance manufacture has been able to "make it fit" I don't think it would be out of SRT's scope.

There are not a whole lot of engines with the displacement of a viper's that are getting DOHC and stuffed into small cars. Remember, the v10 currently doesn't have an idea V angle because of size issues. That is with pushrods, imagine the issues with DOHC. As mentioned before, there is also a pretty decent difference in weight between the two engines as well as distribution of weight. The DOHC would raise the center of gravity of the car.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21