11.1@ 127 Pretty strong!

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, I think SRT should have offered two engine options: one being the current motor, and the other a 5.5L DOHC engine that revs to 10,000 RPMs. While they are at it, they should also offer a 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 speed automatic; 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 speed flappy paddle; and a 4, 5, 6, and 7 speed stick. They should also offer carbon ceramic brakes as an option, but also offer standard 14" steel brakes, and also a 10" steel brake option for those that only intend to drive the speed limit on public highways only.

A 4-door option would be nice too for those that have kids.

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, I think SRT should have offered two engine options: one being the current motor, and the other a 5.5L DOHC engine that revs to 10,000 RPMs. While they are at it, they should also offer a 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 speed automatic; 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 speed flappy paddle; and a 4, 5, 6, and 7 speed stick. They should also offer carbon ceramic brakes as an option, but also offer standard 14" steel brakes, and also a 10" steel brake option for those that only intend to drive the speed limit on public highways only.

Great input!:rolleyes:

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Haha! Love it! LOL

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a recent utube video of some SRT engineers that commented on the fact that Arrow and Arrington were given the pcm code for the development of aftermarket mods. I was surprised at this development since it sort of reversed their original stance.

Im only pissed at SRT for locking that damn computer. if they would open it up, the viper would be untouchable on the street for the most part. i guess its possible and we mod types can pray they offer something sooner than later.. unmodded im not thrilled with the car out of the box other than looks. it does look ****

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone seems to forget what the Gen V is, it isn't a crazy new, well funded project. It was a shoe string budget dream to evolve the Gen IV platform. Pray enough dummies like myself buy into the dream so that the Gen VI can be revolutionary instead of evolutionary and push the envelope even further.

Building software, I am well aware of the "if you add this feature, we will buy it" crowd. There is always one thing missing that they "won't buy it because of."

I love the Gen V for what it is. Would I like more, obviously. But, to doubt it isn't still amazing as is, is short sighted. Hopefully it sells well and in 5 years we will be ordering a Gen VI that eats whatever lunch the competition has at that time.

Remember folks, this isn't 1992 anymore where dropping more HP into a car produces better results. The high end car market purely isn't the same anymore. There are a lot of players, a lot of well funded, focuses players. Upping HP output isn't the trump card it was 20 years ago. Which is why the whole "It should have had 750 RWHP" argument is just a fallacy.

very true look at Lotus. Its speed thru weight, or lack thereof. very small engine but suspensions that can take lots of performance cars since it can bend & turn. and only 5 figure value.

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess you didn't watch the video, which showed the Viper leaving all out 5.5K+ RPM, and dead hooking after that burnout..... a 3 second burnout is all that's needed to get the tires hot??? who's bananas? Let's see those mid 10's ACR passes of yours....

The new viper will go 10's with the right driver and burnout. It is clear that the guy in the video does not know what he is doing. You never, ever do a burnout on the water beacuse you only wanna spin your tire there a few times to get them wet. Then, you do the burnout on the dry pavement like a man for a maximum of 3 seconds is all you need. Also, 99% of the people in this forum don't know bananas about drag racing and never went 10s in their lives but are talking like they are John Force here..

Even if the new car goes high tens I am not impressed at all because this car costs +140k. My friend's 5 liter mustang GT is going 10.7 NATURALLY ASPIRATED in a 28 thousand dollar car with 5-8k in mods. That to me, gentlement is much more impressive overall with an engine that is half of the displacement and a rear end and tranny that can take the abuse( different than the viper) over and over again. So, like a wise viper member said once and I will repeat that again: With 640 hp in this pushrod V10 in 2013 this viper will be everyones B**c on the street and drag track. Don't even try against, mustang GTs, Shelbys and GTRs because they will embarasse you on the streets... Your best and ONLY option is road racing and that is the only place this car will beat the competition.

By the end of this summer, I will be running high-mid 9's in my 30k 2013 mustang gt reliably with 20k in mods and TUNED Computer while my Gen IV ACR will still be a high-mid 10 sec car at the track with a locked computer and cost me over 100k to barely go below 11 seconds... Yep, I did my math, I am taking the mustang for the street and drag track!!! Call me crazy but having tons of fun with my ford!
Not buying dodge anymore until they realize that they need a new viper powerplant with a modern DOHC V10 and an option for an automatictranny and tunable CPU. I don't need fancy interior, thanks.

Good buy.... bye...

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that Brooks is calling you out Daniel. You may have to leave your castillo with your car and meet him for a match race.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So cliff notes are that the new Viper is slow even when it dips into the 10's because it can be beat by a $40k Mustang and save you $100k.

Great, why not compare that Stang to an Aventador and save yourself nearly $350k!!

But wait.... won' t it still be a Mustang?

This reminds me of the guy who ran to work behind a bus to save himself $2.40. He thought that was clever until it was suggested he should run behind a taxi because then he'd save $22.50

madninjaskillz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a recent utube video of some SRT engineers that commented on the fact that Arrow and Arrington were given the pcm code for the development of aftermarket mods. I was surprised at this development since it sort of reversed their original stance.

I hope you are right about this one. There have been lots of hints about releasing the cracken, but zeus/SRT hasn't done it yet.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anh dường như không làm việc vì vậy tôi figured tại sao không thử Việt Nam. LOL.

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My comparison was more in line with the fact that buyers of a 110K car would spend 14K for a special paint or even 140K for a launch edition. Then maybe they should have explored the likelihood that ******** Viper lovers would have paid 10,15 or 20K for a 750hp car.

They probably could have hit 750 bhp without increasing fuel consumption and therefore avoiding the "gas guzzler" tax altogether...but even if they couldn't, the Viper is already a thin margin car and offering a "base" engine with 640 HP and an upgraded version with 750 HP would be difficult if not impossible to do cost-effectively. All cars would need to be 750 HP, possibly subject to a higher tax, thus removing consumer choice from the equation.

I chose the $14K paintjob - it was not forced upon me nor is that money going to the govt to support programs I am diametrically opposed to (the failed 'green energy' agenda).

While the cost of the paint development may be easier maybe only 50 cars will be produced per year. Now if SRT knows that 1000-1500 buyers will pay the premium for a more powerfull engine. Then deveopment and certification would have been free. Then there really would have been a new Killer looking,riding and driving GEN V.

Not sure what you think the extra 100 HP would net you that you can't do with 640 HP. You'd still have trouble cutting reliably 10s without skillful wheel control...and the road course performance is already as good as or better than equally priced vehicles as well as more expensive vehicles.

That being said, you can probably pick up an extra 100 HP with a good set of headers, exhaust, cam and tuning...and you won't need to pay a bogus tax.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Id love to see what intake, headers, exhaust and a tune would put down on a dyno, that is, if they really are releasing the pcm. Then add heads and look out for 700+ NA beast. I would have been nice to see it like this factory stock but for obvious reasons it will have to wait for aftermarket support to get there.

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PeerBlock, Correct on all points. Except that I meant I wanted 750hp across the board. Not as an option. I would have loved 750hp with a warranty.

Of all of the performance numbers I am disappointed with the 60-150mph times. To me it means not only are you going to lose from a stop. You are going to be pulled away from as well.

Now I could fix most of these problems with some good tires or slicks,headers,cam and other mods. Unfortunately SRT won't let me do that with the current pcm.

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a coincidence when it was implied in your posts.
Never did I say it was simple but a nesaasary progression and please done try to imply anything from my posts if I thought it was a simple fix I would have worded it as such.

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Id love to see what intake, headers, exhaust and a tune would put down on a dyno, that is, if they really are releasing the pcm. Then add heads and look out for 700+ NA beast. I would have been nice to see it like this factory stock but for obvious reasons it will have to wait for aftermarket support to get there.

I think a 15% gain in peak power/tq over stock is a realistic expectation for NA, though there would be some loss of torque and the powerband would shift from low-mid to mid-high. SRT was gracious enough to provide a built engine with mostly forged internals so you will not need to worry about increased power causing reduced reliability, even with a big shot of nitrous or some other forced induction.

PeerBlock, Correct on all points. Except that I meant I wanted 750hp across the board. Not as an option. I would have loved 750hp with a warranty.

640 HP with a warranty isn't too shabby, and as I said to the guy above, the engine is a solid foundation for bolt-on mods so hitting that kind of power level without voiding your warranty should be possible.

Of all of the performance numbers I am disappointed with the 60-150mph times. To me it means not only are you going to lose from a stop. You are going to be pulled away from as well.

Now I could fix most of these problems with some good tires or slicks,headers,cam and other mods. Unfortunately SRT won't let me do that with the current pcm.

I don't think SRT is going to take an adversarial position with the aftermarket tuning crowd. The locked PCM will probably be unlocked in due time, plus it will give people more time to see what works and what doesn't on the new cars.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Slicks and headers will work fine without touching the pcm

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow thats impressive my mod'd Gen 4 only ran 11.6@128Mph in Canada but stock gen 4's were only running 118-120Mph the same day. What kind of 60ft and launch technique?
Historically the two best drivers in the country drag racing cars on stock production tires are Jamie Furman and Muscle Mustang And Fast Editer- Ford Motor Company Test Driver Evan Smith (it was Evan driving my Gen 4 during a shootout test with a Mustang Super Snake who ran the 11.2 )Between the two of them they hold almost every single record for domestic cars on stock production tires .If you go on you tube there is a video of Jamie (Furman )running 10s in a bone stock GEN 4 on stock tires that highlights launch ,60foot ect.Jamie has also put a bone stock Z06 in the 10s on stock tires.Power is not the issue in getting ANY of these cars (stock tires )in the 10s.The problem lies in getting stock tires to hook enough to get a 1.7 or better 60 foot time To do so the driver must be a top flight expert running at a sea level (or below ) track .Most of these runs were also achieved at private test sessions where the cars are iced cooled between runs and VHT applied to the 60 foot mark ).The idea of an average Gen 5 driver coming in off the street during a test and tune night at their local dragstrip and getting a 10 second pass is shear fantasy .(LOL it aint going to happen )

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The idea of an average Gen 5 driver coming in off the street during a test and tune night at their local dragstrip and getting a 10 second pass is shear fantasy .(LOL it aint going to happen )

sigh, you never learn

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sigh, you never learn
Malu your favorite driver is now doing most of Fords drag testing (Rand D ect ) on the 2014 Super Cobra Jet Drag Car (all last week he was in Georgia with Fords Racing Division Drag testing )Rumor has it Ford had to settle for him because you and Nine Ball were unavailable (Next time Ford calls with a Lear Jet ready to fly you in to drag test a prototype will you please answer the phone) .Hows your 10second stock Gen 4 doing (you know the car that came from the factory with the mufflers deleted .)Come on buddy you know i got to bust you chops a little bit .

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure what the current owner thinks of it, but hope he's enjoying it. I upgraded to a Lamborghini Gallardo last year, but want to get into a Gen V launch edition at the end of the year. Maybe I'll run 10's in it for $hits and giggles also ;)

I have no doubt someone that cares enough to run 10's in the Viper, will do it.

HOLLYWOOD1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wondering why a large majority of you guys are hoping that SRT unlocks the codes for the car? Has it ever crossed anyones mind that this is done for a specific reason in that they do not want these cars modified to crazy numbers? Just a thought...Also did anybody ever think that the forged pistons were not just for after market horsepower but for some extra reliability for a motor that does not now or ever need to be modded? Sort of a "extra insurance" policy even though as one poster said no one has ever had issues with the rock solid Gen 3 or 4s. I find it pretty funny that a majority of new owners want to make the car 1000hp based on a hope and a prayer that the codes are unlocked so that they have bragging rights. I dont see Porsche guys worrying about their 650 hp rockets that click off 0-60's all day long in the low 3". The Gen 5 is a pretty cool car so instead of modding to the nth degree just drive it and enjoy it as is.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth