120,000 miles

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 98 RT/10 just rolled over today. Looking forward to the next 120,000 miles.

Thanks Dodge for building the greatest most dependable bulletproof sportscar in history.

OP
OP
C

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any major problems the rest of us should look out for?

Change fluids regularly, whether you drive it or not. And change all of them, not just oil. Don't forget the coolant and use distilled water, not tap.

No major problems.
Power window motor went bad. Fixed at 60,000 working fine since.
Had a leak in the timing chain cover at 50K.
A/C doesn't blow cold (probably the seal everyone replaces).
Radio hasn't worked in years.
Cats discolor the sills, need to repaint every 40,000 or so. I have plans to vent the sills but haven't gotten around to it.
Doors adjusted for sag.
Driver's seat belt is a bit frayed and the seat is starting to show some age. Passenger side still good.

OP
OP
C

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
great to hear. any noticeable loss in performance with all those miles?

None and I'm still on the original clutch. At 95,000 miles I ran a 12.0/118 with muffler delete, tubes and filter (my only mods). That has been the best I've ever run and I've done hundreds of dragstrip runs, several track days and many, many 150mph+ open road runs (always safe and on clear roads).

These cars are awesome. Big cubes own all.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congrats Chuck. You plan to keep wearing this one out or buy another one to wear out too?

Ted

OP
OP
C

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats Chuck. You plan to keep wearing this one out or buy another one to wear out too?

Ted

As terrific as the ACR is I will never leave my 98. Ever. I would buy an ACR or a CC to compliment it but I'd never sell it. The 98 is the perfect year for me, but you can't go wrong with any year Viper.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As terrific as the ACR is I will never leave my 98. Ever. I would buy an ACR or a CC to compliment it but I'd never sell it. The 98 is the perfect year for me, but you can't go wrong with any year Viper.

I actually meant buy another Gen2 that someone has kept garaged for you. !0,000 miles would hopefully mean that they took it out every 6 months and put 500 miles on it to keep the seals and upper moving parts fresh and oiled.

I expect that another 3 years or so I'll have 100K and will be looking for another GTS to replace this one. I expect that 15 years from now I'll still be driving a Gen 2 Viper. Any really good improvements they make on the new Vipers can be retro fitted to my modified GTS.

Ted

OP
OP
C

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually meant buy another Gen2 that someone has kept garaged for you.

Oh, definitely. But I'd want another red 98 RT/10 to drive while my first one is on stands for regular maintenance. I don't drive my RT/10 every day but I actually feel bad when I don't have it as a option.

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congrats, thats a nice goal you've hit. I'm sure my 01 GTS will never get there though.

I know mine will never get there. My '99 took almost 11 years to get to 20,000 miles recently, at a little over 1,800 miles/yr. After doing a bit of math I should hit the 120,000 mile mark in 55 more years. :)

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
KUDOS Chuck for driving, very glad you were ABLE to put that many miles on your RT. THANKS for giving us ALL inspiration that our cars CAN and DO hold up (and you track too!). CONGRATS!
~juli

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Change fluids regularly, whether you drive it or not. And change all of them, not just oil. Don't forget the coolant and use distilled water, not tap.

No major problems.
Cats discolor the sills, need to repaint every 40,000 or so. I have plans to vent the sills but haven't gotten around to it.
Doors adjusted for sag.
Driver's seat belt is a bit frayed and the seat is starting to show some age. Passenger side still good.

Easier to remove the cats than repaint the sills every 40K.

Congrats on 120K. These things seem to develop fewer problems if driven regularly.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No major problems.
Doors adjusted for sag.

How many batteries have you gone through? Any broken wires in the door jam?

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome, Chuck! I will be sure to drive mine just as much when I finally get it. I wish more people drove theirs the way you do.

witz323

Viper Owner
Reaction score
that is freakin amazing. What a testament to the Viper. No other super car outside of maybe a 911 Turbo would be able to withstand 120K. I've got 5,400 on my '04, so it should still be cranking by the time i'm 100 years old.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is some serious viper driving. good stuff Chuck :beer:

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
almost 80k on mine now...and I agree with Chuck. When it is out due to regular maintenance for the day...I feel bad not having another convertible to be able to drive around...which is why I am still thinking of getting Gen 3 after I win the lottery...along with the 30 other cars.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21