120.00to bal. tires. worth it?

3snakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think so they match bal. all four tires . took car out for a ride. seems very smooth all the why up to 125mph. any one else think this is worth the money?

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have got to be kidding me! That must be alignment and balance! I had my new Hoosiers mounted, and balanced two weeks ago. They had to take the tires on and off to match the tire to the rim. $40.00, complete job. Went to Pocono and at 165 the car felt like it was on glass, so no problem with that!

Then I brought my street wheels to him to check. He checked the rears, right on. Fronts needed to be re-balanced, way off. $10.00 ! How can you go wrong?

The guy is in Peekskill, NY, on Route 202.

Andrew

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$30 per wheel is a little high, definitely NOT a deal. Most places would balance a wheel for half that. When doing all four you should get a price break.

I wouldn't have paid more then $50.

Bill

OP
OP

3snakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this is a diff. way of bal. they match the wheel with the tire. the may have to turn the tire a few times. also they are putting press. on the tire at the same time. it is a diff. type of machine when they do this.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No. I change my own tires and use a bubble balance; run up to 140 at Lime Rock with no problem. Previously I was told many times at several different tire change stores that the rim is a well-made piece and the tires that go on them are quality tires, so there's little to balance.

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3snakes,

You didn't have just a regular balance... I think you had it road-force balanced as well. Essentially, what they do is find the "low point" of the wheel, and matches it with the "high point" of the tire. Supposedly, this eliminates most road noise, in addition to having a "balanced" tire. In Atlanta, that costs $25/tire. So, it doesn't sound like a bad deal.

On my BMW, regular balancing would not take care of a vibration I had. So, I had it road-force balanced... no problems after that!

On the other hand, I had my new Viper tires balanced for $12/tire :)

OP
OP

3snakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you are right on road force bal. could not think of the name at the time. thanks

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently looked at buying some HRE wheels and tires from the PartsRack and was quoted, via e-mail, that it would be $80/wheel!!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

That amounts to $320 for a set mounted and balanced!!!!!

Needless to say, I passed!! Sheesh! :rolleyes:

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Balanced all 4, off car, I took them in: $40.00. This at a race and performance shop - they do all types of race cars.
Later,

OP
OP

3snakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
maybe i should clear this up. i had two tires put on rear. these where new tires. they still had a vib. in them at 80mph. so i took them back an this is where they said they will do this other tpye of bal. car now has no vib. very smooth. thanks steve

RobHook

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just put all 4 tires on my car myself using the Hunter GSP9700 road force balancer. I will tell you that the Viper's large rear tires are often a BEAR to get balanced, even with a machine as advanced as this. The wheels are so thick you have to use a spacer to get them to clear the machine's cover and when you do that the wheel is hard to get lined up properly. I was being a little anal and reworking the weights until I got it within 5 or 6 grams but it was still very long process to even get them within 10 grams of balanced. I know we all hate paying the "viper tax" (excessive pricing) but in this instance I'd say it should be expected. Those aren't Toyota wheels.

If you're paying $40 for a balance, it's probably not done right.

Also, a proper alignment according to Dodge's specs should take several hours and, according to Dodge, must include adjusting the bump steer. If you're paying $125 for an alignment, you're getting what you pay for.

--Rob

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Rob on this one... it's not a Viper tax, because it costs the same to do a road force balance on any type of wheel.

Once you see it done... you'll see that it involves much more than just sticking weights on a wheel.

I agree... most wheels only require a regular balance. However, for those problem vibrations, I will GLADLY pay $25 to get rid of the noise...

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I recently looked at buying some HRE wheels and tires from the PartsRack and was quoted, via e-mail, that it would be $80/wheel

Clarify: IT AIN'T PARTSRACK'S PRICE!

HRE does not mount / balance tires, and they charge an exhorbitant $80-$90 each as a dis-incentive for mounting-balancing. PartsRack WHEEL prices are the very lowest, but we do NOT recommend HRE as the mounter-balancer of our also-inexpensive tires.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guess I'm just lucky. That whole matching thing is exactly what my guy does for $10.00 per wheel. He said he had to take the tire on and off the wheel a few times. Anyway, all I'm saying is if anyone is in the area and needs the job done, try out the link up above. Like I said, the car ran on Pocono like on glass. Street tires are just as good. Maybe he doesn't know how cheap he is.. Thing is, it's no fancy place. Just simple store front, some machines, low income workers that do the job just as good as anyone else. They will work on the cars outside rain or shine, no bays. Hey, no problem for me..it works...good to stay humble.

cya

Andrew

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing I never see mentioned is Radial and Lateral runout. You can have a nice balanced wheel but still get shake.

Radial runout down the center is max about .6 mm and lateral runout is .8 mm at the tire shoulder.

Jerry Dobson

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just called my dealer today, and asked him about balancing my tires. I told him I get a little vibration about 80 MPH. He said no problem, they would look the car over first and if it needed balanced, they would do it for a mere 140.00 (road force balance). I wouldn't mind, but there is no guarantee that it would fix the problem. Besides it goes away over 100 :headbang:

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve, next time your out on Long Isl. we'll have to test the car at 180. Its the only true test to see if you got your moneys worth. Only kidding, if you need any wheels balanced in the future let me know.

Charlie

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently looked at buying some HRE wheels and tires from the PartsRack and was quoted, via e-mail, that it would be $80/wheel

Clarify: IT AIN'T PARTSRACK'S PRICE!

HRE does not mount / balance tires, and they charge an exhorbitant $80-$90 each as a dis-incentive for mounting-balancing. PartsRack WHEEL prices are the very lowest, but we do NOT recommend HRE as the mounter-balancer of our also-inexpensive tires.

I have an e-mail from the PartsRack informing me that it's $80 per wheel to mount and balance. You NEVER mention that "It ain't PartRack's price" and NEVER mention that "you do NOT recommed HRE as the mounter-balancer"!!!!

I think that your e-mail stands by itself!!! It not what you said, but what you did NOT say!!

Was I to guess this information?? :confused: :rolleyes:

OP
OP

3snakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
all i know is i had wheels bal. had vib. at 80mph. then when they did the road froce bal it was like glass. i know it is a lot of mony but i think it was worth it. would i do it again .. YES

OP
OP

3snakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PAviper my tires vib at the same speed. it to would go away at higher speeds. but 80mph i cricuse a lot at that speed