180 thermostat

Diablo Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone installed the 180 degree thermostat?How difficult of a job is it to do?I dont like how hot the car currently runs.

Joe

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
You have to remove the intake manifold. Drop that 180 in and on the freeway at 75 mph your car will run cooler than it does now, but your car will still run just as hot on a summer day in traffic with a 180 as it does with the stock t-stat. the 180 will just make the car run colder on a cold day and why would you want that?. The t-stat function is to prevent the car from running too cold on cold days. The components involved with how hot it runs on a hot day in traffic are the fan, airflow, and heat exchanger (radiator), but NOT the t-stat.

Try the following fixes:

1998.5 fan upgrade (not very costly but pulls a lot more air)
. http://www.viperclub.org/instructions/purging.html

Then
. http://www.viperclub.org/instructions/bleeders.html

then.

Sean Roe cooling products (radiator & cooling duct)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TTBADBOY:
Has anyone installed the 180 degree thermostat?How difficult of a job is it to do?I dont like how hot the car currently runs.
Joe

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OP
OP
D

Diablo Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about Tuesday?After 6:30pm.Im also going to the track on Thursday to see if I can hit 7's in the 1/8th.See what you did?You should have never given me a ride in your car.Haha.
biggrin.gif

See ya,

Joe

bitya

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I used to drag race a lot I used to switch between cast iron heads & aluminum depending on what class I was running, I had to run the steel heads at 140 to 160 and the aluminum at 220 to 240 to run the best . Had a 928 Porsche on dyno was making 286 to 289 rwhp , cam back 2 wks later couldn`t hit 272 rwhp asked what he did - changed t-stat from 195 to170 we put 195 back in went back to 286rwhp. Everthing with aluminum heads seem to make best power when temp is around 210 after correcting a/f. This is the reason I like my Viper running 210 to 220 all the time. Any other comments is appreciated.

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope to be running cool. I have the upgraded 1998.5 fan, 180 degree t-stat, Sean Roe radiator hoses w/bleeder and a Fluidyne aluminum radiator.

meggleto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be cautious when installing cooler thermostats on modern engines. The ECU has different fuel maps for warm up and for standard operating temperature. If the engine does not reach a designated temp (which is called out in the ECU's algorithm) the ECU stays in the warm-up mode fuel maps. Usually the warm up fuel maps cause the car to run rich and thus you'll lose power.

Also the engine parts are designed to run at a certain temperature based on their expansion rates. If the correct temperature is not reached the clearances for the parts may be out of spec and cause premature engine wear.

Finally modern engines run warmer temps for emissions so if you live in a state that has mandatory emission checks you should consider emissions also.