1992-2002 Dodge ViperSide Sill Vents...are they worth the $$?

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well there appears to be data saying that additional venting does not lower the sill temp under a dynamic state. At least the minor addition of the forward facing wheelwell vents. I would challenge that data using the full venting I have. And also the effctiveness of the vents under static conditions. Or as you say, obvious idling at stoplights.

If I remember right, you put a bunch o big holes in the bottom of an aftermarket sill in addition to the forward and rear vents. I think that's a great design to take advantage of convection while sitting still and probably helps flow at speed too.

I think Ron was talking about just the front and rear openings which help, but not much......and certainly not like the major ventilation you have going on.

BW96snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron,
Great write-up, very interesting and thorough, thanks for taking the time sharing!

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon - to be clear, I agree completely on not wrapping directly, however mine has airflow underneath and outside the wrap. I also verified with 2 cat manufacturers the internal temp when cat degradation begins (don't remember now) and in my installation I never get close.

Airflow is our friend!

Last edited:

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drumrboy - absolutely correct, I'm thinking of the fender vents. Dave's under sills holes absolutely would fix the idle / post shutdown heat. Thanks for pointing that out.

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good Lord, how much effort are you guys willing to go to? Why not add an AC unit to blow directly on your butt? Put in a high flow exhaust and quit sitting in the garage with your engine idling just so you can measure the temp of the sills! I put high flow cats on mine and the sills are warm when I get out, but not hot any more. I can think of a lot of ways to spend the extra cash and time without bothering with the sills.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bird - I don't know about anyone else, but for me it's a souce of entertainment. The money spent or saved is irrelevant.

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard if you remove the sills it will provide the greatest cooling ability.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Parts Rack version installed

You must be registered for see images

What happens when you hit a turtle crossing the road

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not because his name is JON, but he is 100% correct. And so-stated Team Viper at several tech sessions. DONT WRAP YOUR EXHAUST..... DO vent the sills. We made cheap alum sill louvres 15 ago, but the SpeedTech vents are sexier and functional.

Hi flow cats and hi flow exhausts are significantly cooler than OE. They dont 'need' as much insulating as OE does

Jon, when you said SpeedTech, were you referring to the link I posted for SpeedTactics(as in the ones in LifeIsGood's photo above)? If not, I haven't seen the SpeedTech ones...

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The answer is HF cats if you are a side piper and get sniffed. If you have rear exhaust and are not sniffed go NO cats. GTS Bruce

And if you have rear exhaust with HF cats already and choose to not go NO cats....what other options do I have? :confused:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Even tho, I don't see them on your site. Do you sell them? If so, I will definitely buy a set from you. Just not sure if the silver or black would look better on my blue car. :smirk:

You want them to match the sill fender-well, in black. They look too obvious otherwise....
As noted, debris like leaf bits and cigarette butts and even tire marbles can get flung in there and can get scorched by the exhaust heat, making for an ocasional and unsual strange whiff of weirdness! I think the debris would be worse if it were vertical, matching the "direction of ejection" from the rotating tire....

"If It Fits On Or In a VIPER...................."

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You want them to match the sill fender-well, in black. They look too obvious otherwise....
As noted, debris like leaf bits and cigarette butts and even tire marbles can get flung in there and can get scorched by the exhaust heat, making for an ocasional and unsual strange whiff of weirdness! I think the debris would be worse if it were vertical, matching the "direction of ejection" from the rotating tire....

"If It Fits On Or In a VIPER...................."

Alright, well from that note, I guess you're telling me black is the route to go..So black it is!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave