1992-2002 New spin on the old fan Radiator Fan Control Kit… Now fully adjustable!

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
As some of you may know, we’ve been making the radiator fan control kits for the Viper since my GTS puked coolant in a parking lot after running hard in 1999. That was my first clue that the fan stopped when the engine shut off, which certainly didn’t help with the heat that was soaking into the coolant from the exhaust manifolds and areas around the heads.
Several hundred fan kits later, we’ve made an upgrade to the kit, just in time for the hot summer months.
Our tried and true Radiator Fan Control kit has always featured a heavy duty relay, 12 gauge power wires, 40 amp fuse, high temperature loom, harness lengths built specifically for the model year the kit is going on, all installation connectors and supplies with detailed instructions. The purpose prior was to cycle the fan on and off after the engine was shut off hot so that boiling didn’t occur in the cylinder heads, causing loss of fluid and air pockets in the heads (compounding the temperature problem).
We’ve improved the functionality of the kit, adding the ability to set the fan “on” temperature when the engine is running while retaining the after run cycling to cool the motor. The new system is user / installer set and works extremely well. Installation time is still about 25 to 30 minutes. Once installed, you’ll run the engine until it gets to the temperature you want the fan to come on at and set the switch. We supply a recommended setting based on testing multiple vehicles. The fan will shut off at 12 degrees lower than the activation point. Once the hot engine is shut off, the fan will cycle short periods on and off, allowing the heat transfer to take place that cools the entire engine (not just the radiator or front of the engine).
The new kit is priced at an introductory $89. If you have an older version of the fan kit, you can send it in and we’ll update it with the new components and instructions for $55 (plus S&H as applicable). The kit comes with a 30 day money back satisfaction guarantee and we’ve increased the warranty to one year from date of purchase!.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.
We’re actually working on several new products right now.

Here’s a link to our website with the fan kit:

1992-1996 RT/10 only : Dodge Viper Fan Control Kit - 92-96 RT/10 - Cooling - Roe Racing

All 1996-2002 GTS and 1997-2002 RT/10's : Dodge Viper Fan Control Kit - 96-02 Viper - Cooling - Roe Racing

Regards,
Sean

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That sounds like a great kit Sean, as I've been using the early kit here in Texas since right after I bought the car.

But removing mine to modify it does not sound like something I want to do. I spent a little more than the suggested 30 minutes installing mine, and would not want to remove it. As I have a previous career in military avionics, and can wire to NASA specs, how about a field service update kit for the DIY?

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That sounds like a great kit Sean, as I've been using the early kit here in Texas since right after I bought the car.

But removing mine to modify it does not sound like something I want to do. I spent a little more than the suggested 30 minutes installing mine, and would not want to remove it. As I have a previous career in military avionics, and can wire to NASA specs, how about a field service update kit for the DIY?

Sean,
Sounds like the mod everyone should have that has a fan kit.
I am with Dave, (" ..... how about a field service update kit for the DIY"), mine is all wire loon installed, and of course I need it now that we have some hot weather here in the Northwest (yes 85-90 deg.)

Just my thought, and Dave's.

Later,

TS6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm gonna get one when I get home, sounds like a great mod.

supraman95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got the first one and it has already been installed. Works like a charm and I love it! Neater installation and very easy to use.

Bigviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
typical fitted the old one on saturday:(
wish i had been told about this before and i cant get it to work :mad:

OP
OP
S

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yes, I can work out a retro kit to modify the older ones. I'll figure out the cost tomorrow.

BigViper, it's new, so don't fell too bad. To diagnose yours, first, check the fuse. If good (and there), jump the two leads on the temperature sensor. Does the relay click (it should). If it clicks, but the fan doesn't come on, check your dark green wire connection into the factory harness. Applying 12V to that wire runs the fan. If it works in the tests, you may just not be getting it up to temperature (as in, maybe the hood is up?). I can make you an update kit too if you'd like. How about free shipping to help with the fact that you recently installed an older style kit? How recently did you buy it (or email me your name and I'll look up your invoice)?

Regards,
Sean

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I installed mine a few weeks ago, I thought it wasn't working, too, but that was just because the temp. didn't get hot enough to start the fans. I checked the connections by jumping the leads on the sensor and the fan started right up, and since then, it has gotten hot enough to run the fan after shutdown (it starts a few min. later).

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im with Dave and Rucdr I purchased the 2 fan kits for my 94 and 02 from you a couple of months ago. it took longer than 30 min for me too. I made a very nice clean instal and do not want to mess my conections.

bluequadcab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will the fan still come on with the air conditioner after the kit is installed?

R

RTED

I was fortunate to be a test subject for this upgraded kit from Sean late last year. I can tell you that the upgraded fan kit works just as Sean has described. This upgrade gives you the best of all worlds. Had the car out this evening in 90+ degree city driving and the temp guage never went past 195. Easy to install, and fully adjustable with the turn of a knob. GREAT PRODUCT!!!:2tu:

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW, I didn't realize I have had mine installed since August, 2005 (invoice #8284);
I guess when something (fan kit in this case) is working, one just takes it for granted.
My kit is for 1992 - 1996 RT/10, not sure of any real difference for GEN II, except perhaps wire lengths.
Yes to DIY upgrade kit.

Later,
Thanks Sean.

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean bigviper is my mate Richard Garner, Chuck installed of your blowers, PS pulleys. etc
on Richards GTS before sending it over the pond earlier in the year

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean, I ordered my old kit from you a month or two ago....still sitting in the package. CAn I simply exchange it for the new style for my 94?
Thanks,

whitebluevipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this is a great new item. sometimes it seems like my fan is hit or miss coming on. hopefully this will eliminate that problem.

Bigviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hi sean thanks for the reply i'll have a go with it today.
but wouldn't mind the upgrage :)

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
as usual, i wasnt paying attention....sean did you tell us what the deal was for an older kit that is installed already ? what is needed or the cost ?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
as usual, i wasnt paying attention....sean did you tell us what the deal was for an older kit that is installed already ? what is needed or the cost ?

He is going to work up the retro fit kit, if that's what you mean. One that you can install yourself w/o having to remove and send in your old kit. :headbang:

Pay attention. :D

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok great, thanx dave. and i got in late and woke up early, too hard to keep paying attention today...lol

OP
OP
S

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I worked out the parts and costs on Friday, but didn't get a chance to get online and post. Sorry for the delay.
I can make it super easy to install the update that allows you to turn on the fan earlier while the engine is running and have it cycle after its off (you'll unplug one connection, cut one wire, strip and crimp, attach a new ground wire and slide in the sensor). The update consists of an adjustable thermo-switch mounted inside an enclosure, the temperature probe, instructions, wires and appropriate terminals all pre-installed. It will take me or one of my guys 20 minutes and parts to assemble it all (drill the holes in the enclosure we buy, mount the switch, cut and crimp wires, etc).
The update kit will be $55 and we can ship them by US mail to save money. Round it up to $59 to include a box, packing and shipping in the US and Canada. No tax unless you’re in Florida. I’ll create an item on the product cart website (I’ll do it tonight if I can get to it before it gets too late) and put a link here.
Regards,
Sean

OP
OP
S

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
LOL... you're welcome and thatnks to our fellow Viper owners who asked me to do this. Without a little prodding, I wouldn't have bumped it up on my to do list!

Bigviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
got mine working today:2tu:but think i'll still get the upgrade
thanks for the info sean:)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21