1996-00 rear brake upgrade

Daniel Cragin/DC Performance Inc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
For those interested in improving the rear brake bias on the non -ABS Gen 2 Vipers. We have several sets of the bigger ABS rear calipers in stock for $250 a set (includes rotors, good used). You will need to change to the later rear upright assembly. This change is really noticeable on the track where the front bias of the production system often causes front lockup and tire flatspotting.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan, I love these kinds of mix-n-match the year (it matters) deals. If you've done this, can you help complete the story?

The ABS rear calipers use a single 43mm diameter piston, the non-ABS caliper uses a single 36mm. I machine the 36mm caliper up to 40mm for pretty good balance with the stock proportioning valve, but assume 43mm would need an adjustable proportioning valve?

Investigating this option on my Gen 1, I found the brake hose bolt hits the inside of a 17" wheel. Is this conversion limited to 18" wheels then?

Can you estimate the cost of the upright and re-alignment?

I'd be veerrrryy interested in the non-ABS calipers you take off!

OP
OP
D

Daniel Cragin/DC Performance Inc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Tom,
We had some customers do this on their VRL cars, with slicks and the right pads (less friction coefficient rear)
the bias was spot on for the track. For the street a rear bias valve would balance it out. A 18 inch wheel must be used and the upright may only work for 1996-2000 models.
I will check the price on the rear upright.