1st Drag Strip Runs - Bone Stock - Very Pleased & Cool Story

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got my 03 2 weeks ago, still on temp tag, bone stock, 11K miles, run craps, etc. I ran 32psi in the fronts, 22psi rear. First time dragging in 3 yrs, so a little rusty, but here it is ..

First run:
Off idle launch, shifting at 5K rpm, gentle shifts:
2.017 60ft
12.465 ET
117.5 MPH

Second run: this an later runs shifting at 5,500 rpm
1.957 60ft
12.276 ET
120.26 MPH

Third run: against a Procharger Supercharged C5 Vette, driver told his friends he would have Viper for dinner easy (heard him thru my open window)
1.903 60ft
12.170 ET
119.51 MPH
- I guess he went home hungry cause I pulled away out of the hole & didn't see him again til the return road, he ran 12.5, that felt good.

Final run: against a crazy loud & nasty competition Nova, through me off a bit on the line & I had traction probs outta the hole - shame cause I got a .53 RT.
2.072 60ft
12.322 ET
119.45 MPH

All runs were back to back, no cool down, arrived, teched, run , run, run.

So, for 1st time out with only a few hrs in the seat, totally stock, I'm very happy with the bests: 12.17 ET and especially breaking 120 MPH! I'm very happy. Now waiting on SVS shifter & ordering the BTR exhaust.

Dave.

QUICKV10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
congrats!!! Your giving me the itch to go to the track, but it'll probably be next year for me

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great times. Congrats.

Quick question for you... What gear are you in when you finish? I have a stock '04 and haven't had much luck with it at the drag strip. Are you going through the traps in 3rd or 4th and at what rpm? I ran mine on a very hot humid day and couldn't get better than 113 mph. Very disappointing. Had serious traction problems and i'm sure the weather wasn't helping (everyone there said they were running slower than normal). Found that I could either run it out and finish at the top of 3rd, or short shift it a little and finish in fourth, but shifting just before the finish line. I did slightly better getting it into fourth, but not much. Best run was 12.7 @ 113.

OP
OP
D

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every run I was shifting into 4th right near the end, everytime I was thinking should I stay in 3rd and puch it or shift for 4th, I always shifted. I wish on that 12.17 run I had ridden 3rd out - then I'd prolly have an 11.XX to report. The gearing on the car is really off for the 1/4 mile it seems, I bet 3.55s would be great for a basically stock car & hit 11.70s all day.

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know what you mean. Our cars were definitely not set up with drag racing in mind. I didn't lower my tire pressure, which was a mistake. My 60' times were terrible. I have SSRs and Sport Cups on the way. I'll try it again when I get those on. I don't want to do any more drag race starts on the runflats. Too much wheel hop and I'm affraid I'll break the diff.

Based on what you said, with the lighter, stickier tires, decent weather and reasonable track prep, I should be able to get it into the 11s. The 18" Sport Cups are also 1.2" shorter than the stock tires. This will actually change the final gearing to 3.21:1 which may help a little too.

Thanks for the info.

ASKYOURWIFE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What times did you pull in the stock gen 2????? Just curious to see if their really is a huge differance in ET and mph between the gen 2 and gen 3 when both driven by the same owner.

OP
OP
D

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran at Capitol Raceway in Crofton.

Since 75/80 closed it's the closest to me, but I'd like to try Mason Dixon sometime.

In my GenII (2000 RT10, with MGW handle & Belanger catback), I ran 12.50's at 118mph, I never ran much slower than that, seemed very consistent, but couldn't break 12.50 at my local tracks - but I never recall running in cool weather either, always hot as balls. I never ran it stock.

I really feel that the GenIII is truy easier to drive, or maybe I've gotten better at driving, but I haven't been to the track in over 2 years. So if anything I should be rusty.

Dave.