1st gen. head gasket problem

daxman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 95 Viper and someone asked me if the head gasket had been replaced because all the 1st gen. would need to be at some point. Is this true? The engine has 29K and seems to be fine. Am I heading for trouble?

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The head gaskets were defective on the Generation 1 Vipers. They eventually go bad and need replacement. If you look through the archives you will notice that this is one item everyone suggests buyers ask if they buy a Gen 1 as it is fairly expensive. It usually starts with light seeping down the block and many Dealers and shops have no idea what to look for. We have done hundreds of repairs on Gen 1s , but it is likely something many will ask if it has been accomplished , prior to buying your car.

Sincerely,

Bill Pemberton

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have a 95 Viper and someone asked me if the head gasket had been replaced because all the 1st gen. would need to be at some point. Is this true? The engine has 29K and seems to be fine. Am I heading for trouble?

What Bill said....and........

Do you ever smell hot coolant, but cannot see any leaks? That is the FIRST SYMPTOM...MAYBE you are lucky, and they have already been done ?! The SEARCH key is great, you will find hundreds of posts on this topic......or contact me (click on my profile, above my AVATAR) and Ill 'splain how you can probably tell if its been done.

JonB ~~~:<~

OP
OP
D

daxman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm not an expert but I seem to remember this only being a problem on the 92's. Is it all 1st gen's?

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have a Gen 1 ('95) with 81K miles. Had it looked at by Eddie Martin, and there are no issues with it at all. :2tu:

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You can look at the side of the block. You can see marks that look wet on the side if they are bad. They will not leak on the ground but do make marks on the block...

Dan Aseere

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The coolant track down the side of the block will be brown and very easy to see. My 94 went out at 9000 miles. Did it myself, took my time and with the help of the wizard it turned out to be a fun project.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gee **** I hate to go against the experts... but people think I'm one too, so here goes.

I had 80,000+ on my '94 and they were changed only to get the heads off to replace a faulty lifter. They were fine, but then I put a longlife coolant in the engine as soon as I bought the car (in late '98.) You can help yourself by changing to a longlife coolant and get rid of the green coolant. The much-improved coolant technology will help prevent a premature failure.

Last edited:

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Hopefully you got lucky and they were changed before you bought your Viper. You can look at this area from below to see the gasket. If it looks like a paper material - you have the old gasket. If it looks like a multilayer gasket with metal - you have the new style gasket. Here is what to look for:

5122CoolantLeakGasket.jpg

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
all gen1's to my knowledge or jonB would have said the year matters

Indeed It Do....

92-95 Gen 1s with their original motors are highly-likley to experience head gasket failure in their pre-50K mile life. Gen 1 1996s almost 100% have the new multi-layer gaskets.

If the motor had any VEWC (Arrow) Warrantee work from 4/94 onward, the gaskets could have been replaced there. So some 2nd-3rd owners have a Miracle Viper that has not failed....becasue they may not be aware of the motor history. The vast majority, but not all, probably will seep and leak.

While the external leak pecker-tracks on the block are ONE sign, (as show so eloquently displayed by Rocket,) they can and do occasionally fail INTERNALLY, and then the leak is thru the sidepipes....... steam and sidepipe cleaning reslults.

The take-away here is: If you have a 92-95, and you smell hot coolant, get it cheked out by a Viper Techspert. Preferably one that earned his certifictae pre-1997.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay...not to hijack the thread....but after seeing Jon B's post...I have to ask about the Gen 1 1996 RT gaskets.

I have a 96 RT in which they were replaced before I got the car. Weren't 1996 RTs also equipped with the "bad" gaskets?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 96 RT in which they were replaced before I got the car. Weren't 1996 RTs also equipped with the "bad" gaskets?

Yes. Mine had the paper gaskets go bad and replaced under warranty. The bad thing was they were replaced before the Gen 1 MLS design was released, so the car got a new set of paper gaskets. About a year ago, I went on and had them replaced with MLS gaskets as a preventative measure.

John Baringer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My headgaskets were done at 9000 miles. Seems like if the cars are driven, headgaskets last way longer. Does cost some money to have done if the car needs it, but will not be disappointed after completed. Good time to get other things done while you are at it. Plugs, Wires, Engine Mounts, Hoses, Belt, Fluids and thermostat. Did all this to mine at the sametime. Been done now for 2 years, and car is in way better shape. Runs alot better!

Here are some pictures of my headgasket work being done:

Gallery :: Viper_GenI_headgaskets

If you can get car on a lift, that will help to tell if done or not.

Here is a pic of my headgasket before tear down:

Gallery :: Viper_GenI_headgaskets :: IMG_9009

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Okay...not to hijack the thread....but after seeing Jon B's post...I have to ask about the Gen 1 1996 RT gaskets.

My notes from the period say that more than half (about 500) of the 1996 RT 415 HP had the running change new-style gaskets......

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 94 went but mine went on the inside... Missfire from cold and coolant out the drivers sidepipe...

Done four or five now here in the UK... To to bad of a job....

Viper #53

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have an early 1992 and have owned the car it's entire life. No head gasket issues to date. I replace my oil and service my radiator as recommended. The car has been extremely reliable.

James

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My notes from the period say that more than half (about 500) of the 1996 RT 415 HP had the running change new-style gaskets......

Hey Jon, can you explain this then? I have the service RO where a previous owner took the car in for service in Feb. 1999. The complaint was it was running hot. The RO states to pull the engine, and return to Chrysler Warranty Center to replace head gaskets. However, when I bought the car in 05', it still had paper gaskets :dunno: I figured the Gen 1 MLS design wasn't released by then, but if your notes are correct, the MLS gaskets had been out for at least 2.5 years :dunno:

I talked to Arrow a while back and they confirmed the engine had been repaired by them for the head gasket issue.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Jon, can you explain this then? I have the service RO where a previous owner took the car in for service in Feb. 1999. The complaint was it was running hot. The RO states to pull the engine, and return to Chrysler Warranty Center to replace head gaskets. However, when I bought the car in 05', it still had paper gaskets :dunno: I figured the Gen 1 MLS design wasn't released by then, but if your notes are correct, the MLS gaskets had been out for at least 2.5 years :dunno:

I talked to Arrow a while back and they confirmed the engine had been repaired by them for the head gasket issue.

I can confirm that some inconsistencies occured on Gen 1 motors that were warranteed before the gasket isssue had a revised replacement. That is, some few received the 'same old gaskets' under 2 conditions: The replacements were not ready yet (ie new RDC) or the gaskets were out-of-stock, no release date, at time of needed repairs. RARE.

The best source of factual info on this is carfax......if you pay them $14.95 they will guarantee the gaskets are OK........................... JUST KIDDING!!!!!

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I think if you change your fluid then you should not have a problem. Mine when I took the antifreeze out it was original and very rusty and bad.. Just change it before it goes bad and that should help them last a long time.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have basic mechanical skills... It costs about $600 to DIY. I was a bit concerned when I did mine at 20K but found it to be a straight-forward and simple job. Did a second one for a friend in Pa. last spring in half the time...

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an early 1992 and have owned the car it's entire life. No head gasket issues to date. I replace my oil and service my radiator as recommended. The car has been extremely reliable.

James

How many miles on her?

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is how it starts... And it WILL...
Chuck did mine.

My experience at ~80K was different. I needed a lifter replacement, so the heads had to come off. The exposed edge of the gasket looked like yours, but the clamped portion was holding up.

I agree with a previous post - change the coolant and use a long-life version.

Attachments

• IM000003.jpg
    IM000003.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IM000010.jpg
    IM000010.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 23

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member