$2,000 service, are you serious?

OP
OP
S

Shank2117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I might be taking the car to Doug Levin to have all the fluids changed out. He quoted me roughly $100 each, for a total of $300. Not $800.

Frankster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tell that dealership that if they pay you the amount they want to charge you that you will give them the pleaseure of kissing your ****.

Offer to allow them to purse their lips before they do it.

Then summon the manager and insist that he kiss your **** as well.

In other words, when the manager shows up let him know you are serious......that he has to pay you the amount he wants to charge for the privelage of kissing your **** and fixing your vehicle at the same time.

Make sure to look him straight in the eye when you say it.

Do you think he'll get the idea?

I'd like to see his reaction.

OP
OP
S

Shank2117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tell that dealership that if they pay you the amount they want to charge you that you will give them the pleaseure of kissing your ****.

Offer to allow them to purse their lips before they do it.

Then summon the manager and insist that he kiss your **** as well.

In other words, when the manager shows up let him know you are serious......that he has to pay you the amount he wants to charge for the privelage of kissing your **** and fixing your vehicle at the same time.

Make sure to look him straight in the eye when you say it.

Do you think he'll get the idea?

I'd like to see his reaction.

I have respect for the SERVICE MANAGER, not the dealer. Hes a very great guy. I just dont find the prices reasonable at all. The only thing i did find shady is that one the service manager told me and what the service advisor told me were two different things.

The service advisor called me and told me all my fluids looked like **** and I should have this this this and this replaced.

and then Mark the service manager told me he cant tell by looking at the fluids, its just a good idea to change them since I dont know the history of the car. The only service history I found was that the differential fluid had been changed not even 1,500 miles prior, so why would the service advisor say my differential fluid looked like ****? I trust Mark with my car though and i'll be taking it back to him for the oil change and such. Lets just see what he can do about my fluids for me.

Last edited:

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With all due respect Chuck did not inspect the car and labor costs in South Florida are a bit higher than in many other parts of the country. I base my decisions on data not hip shot assumptions. Here is some data about Mark Leslie that is far more relevant and accurate. A number of years ago when I had my GTS, my alarm locked the car up and I could not disarm it no matter what I did - I tried all the tricks. I was parked on the 11th floor of a parking garage downtown. Mark grabbed some tools, hopped in his car and drove more than thirty miles to help me out - no charge. He has done many favors for many club members. He rarely gets publicly thanked for the favors.

For those of you who think that you can get the correct fluids for significantly less money, please provide a description of those fluids, the price, and where you are buying them for that price. Also please state how you are lawfully getting rid of the oil and other fluids that you remove from the car. Lastly, please state whether you think there is any value to having a well trained and experienced Viper Tech periodically inspect your car who could catch a potentially serious problem before it becomes serious and advise you of same.[/quote]

BOB!!!!! 190.00 to change the clutch fluid?????!!!!!!!?????? Are you kidding me????!!!!!????
Takes about 10 minutes and at most, a cup of brake fluid!!
Does this dealer stroke you when he's done with you????

BTW, the statement in bold was a huge insult to all the guys here that take pride in working on thier own cars.
Just cuz YOU like giving hard earned money away, doesn't mean the rest of us do.

OP
OP
S

Shank2117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone know of any other republe service spots to take the car in for all the fluid changes?

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Interesting comments on all sides and plenty of food for thought. Two items I would recommend to all Viper owners is to disregard the transmission fluid change at 21,000 recommended by one Dealer, as this is unlikely one who sees a ton of Snakes. Fluids get old and there is alot of torque with our beasts, so change it alot sooner than that , especially based on age, and not just color and miles.

Second, spend a bit of money and get the Viper specific oil filter , not the standard old MoPar filter. There really isn't another one out there presently for the 08/09s that meets the standards, and the Viper filter for years past is also based ,alot ,from items found racing Vipers and Comp Coupes. You can buy them from your favorite Dealer for a decent price.

Nuff said

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob,

I'm glad that you have a great working relationship with this dealership, every viper owner should be that lucky. My opinion is that most viper owners don't care to pay the so called 'viper tax'. You, on the other hand, don't seem to have an issue with it. That's fine. It's clear that you don't like getting your hands dirty...but for some of your viper brethren, it's a great sense of pride and accomplishment to do these things ourselves. I'll admit that I'm a redneck and you'll know where I'm coming from if you've ever heard the lyrics to the Hank Williams, Jr song...A Country Boy Can Survive. I'm sure that this dealership loves having you as a customer and goes out of their way to please you...they probably would like to have 1,000 just like you.

Every miniute you spend with automobile fluids is a minute you are not using your extraordinary cooking skills to save humanity from the evils of fast food. When is my cold pack getting here - Easter/Passover?

PS. My wife is a great cook. Required CMA due to possible ambiguity in phrasing above.

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm very fortunate to be close enough to DC Performance for service my car...

They charge around $30-35 labor on an oil change... (didn't pull a receipt Dave ;) :rolaugh:)
Not worth it to take it anywhere else or do it at home.

Gotta love those DC guys, they take care of the Viper Community... :headbang:

Reaction score
I'm very fortunate to be close enough to DC Performance for service my car...

They charge around $30-35 labor on an oil change... (didn't pull a receipt Dave ;) :rolaugh:)
Not worth it to take it anywhere else or do it at home.

Gotta love those DC guys, they take care of the Viper Community... :headbang:

If you guys/gals like us nearly as much as we love helping you guys/gals... something is going very right out here in sunny CA. :drive:

Kala, did we meet at the car control clinic? I was driving the Viper truck :nono:

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kala, did we meet at the car control clinic? I was driving the Viper truck :nono:

I was a last minute no show for the CCC...
It was raining too much here for me to get the Viper out of my valley :(

When I get the parts for my clutch-less transmission mod, I'll be all over DC
You'll be begging me to leave :lmao:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With all due respect Chuck did not inspect the car and labor costs in South Florida are a bit higher than in many other parts of the country. I base my decisions on data not hip shot assumptions. Here is some data about Mark Leslie that is far more relevant and accurate. A number of years ago when I had my GTS, my alarm locked the car up and I could not disarm it no matter what I did - I tried all the tricks. I was parked on the 11th floor of a parking garage downtown. Mark grabbed some tools, hopped in his car and drove more than thirty miles to help me out - no charge. He has done many favors for many club members. He rarely gets publicly thanked for the favors.

For those of you who think that you can get the correct fluids for significantly less money, please provide a description of those fluids, the price, and where you are buying them for that price. Also please state how you are lawfully getting rid of the oil and other fluids that you remove from the car. Lastly, please state whether you think there is any value to having a well trained and experienced Viper Tech periodically inspect your car who could catch a potentially serious problem before it becomes serious and advise you of same.[/quote]

BOB!!!!! 190.00 to change the clutch fluid?????!!!!!!!?????? Are you kidding me????!!!!!????
Takes about 10 minutes and at most, a cup of brake fluid!!
Does this dealer stroke you when he's done with you????

BTW, the statement in bold was a huge insult to all the guys here that take pride in working on thier own cars.
Just cuz YOU like giving hard earned money away, doesn't mean the rest of us do.
Anyone who can do a clutch fluid change in 10 minutes is my hero. It generally takes me about an hour. How do you get a car on a lift, remove the fluid fitting from the transmission and bleed the system all in 10 minutes? And for those that have done it a real possibility is getting air in the system which takes a long time to eradicate.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buyer beware, and be aware of who you buy from.... 6% left on the tires...either buyer didn't ask or dealer didn't tell...stupid either way....

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone who can do a clutch fluid change in 10 minutes is my hero. It generally takes me about an hour. How do you get a car on a lift, remove the fluid fitting from the transmission and bleed the system all in 10 minutes? And for those that have done it a real possibility is getting air in the system which takes a long time to eradicate.

you already have it on lift for all the other service
:dunno:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup, that extra 20 bucks for the good oil really puts a dent in the $590 labor charge. :rolleyes:

Anybody have a toothpick? Got a duck feather stuck somewhere...

Please. The quote for the oil change did not include $590.00 of labor. $20.00 more in oil cost means the labor charge component associated with the posted proposed cost of the oil change reasonable. As for bringing the car elsewhere, that is his choice. But there is no such thing as a free lunch. If the labor costs are less, there is a reason for same. If something goes wrong and the work was done outside a dealer, good luck with a warranty claim unless the outside service provider is authorized by Dodge/Chrysler. Mark and his people are excellent. And, as I stated, Mark has done many favors for club members. I guess no good deed goes unpunished. The original poster retracted most of his position. See above. Also, as long as dealers are being knocked, how do any of you know that the dealer who said that it did the fluid changes before now actually changed the fluids? The rear end is singing at 50MPH. This suggests that something was, and is, wrong with what was done before.

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
you already have it on lift for all the other service
:dunno:

One thing I know from experience [may not be entirely true for all stealerships] is, they charge by the book on the work done.

Example: if the service charge book [not sure of the right term] states $100 for oil change, $200 for transmission change, $300 for some other work, they will charge you $600 even if they only have to get the car on the lift once to complete all three tasks. The book prices items by the time it takes individually and it may all be done in an hour, but you will be charged 3 hours labor or whatever it states.

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a multi-faceted argument that needs to be looked at from all sides. Having been on many of those sides, I offer up the following commentary.

First off, all dealerships are businesses. Businesses exist to provide a good or service to the consumer and also provide income to the owner and employees of the business. So, when you go to a dealership for any work on your car, be it a Ford Focus, a Bentley Continental, or a Dodge Viper, you are paying for a good or service provided by that dealership. There are many reasons for using a dealership including not having the time, skill, or facilities to do the work yourself. That being said, the dealership is supplying you someone to do the work in a facility that is equipped to do said work. They have to pay their employees, give you free water bottles and in the end, maybe turn a profit.

Service Advisors are almost always paid on commission. They make their pay check based on a portion of all parts and service that they sell. Mechanics are almost always paid on “flat rate” times. Flat rate can be good for both the consumer and the mechanic but from time to time one of them will get screwed.

When I worked at a dealership (Lexus) and a car came in that had no service history with our dealership I would go over the car with a fine tooth comb and recommend everything that I could find wrong with the car. I would generally lose time in the process but make it up later when the customer came back. I found that if I could make a substantial list of recommendations I could make more money for myself, the service advisor, and the dealership. It also gave the customer peace of mind that I now know almost every problem with their car and they would likely bring it back to me for all of the repairs. Just because a service is “recommended” by the mechanic does not mean that it needs to be performed ASAP. Some guys like to let people know of upcoming expenses so they can budget for it or space their repairs out over time. Anyone ever heard of repeat business?

Now, the flat rate side of the equation would say that I was only looking out for myself. Which is true to some extent. However, just because I recommended thousands of dollars worth of repairs does not mean the customer would always jump at the chance to part with their hard earned money. Sometimes they would do it all right away. Sometimes they would decline all repairs and I would never see their car again.

As it so happens, most people have many options for where they have their vehicles serviced. Dealerships, Independents, and Lube shops all exist to give the consumer some choice in the matter. Don’t like your dealer? Go to an independent. Don’t like that idea? Do it yourself. When it really comes down to it, the Viper is no different than any other car out there. It has a IC engine, wheels, suspension, electrical, and body. The bolts they use are not so special. Furthermore, of all the vehicles I have worked on, the Viper is by far the easiest. If you have a service manual, can read and comprehend, and have some slight mechanical knowledge, you should be able to get by for most simple repairs.

That does not mean that your local Viper tech is worthless. As with every vehicle, when you have a speciality, you learn the subtle nuances of said vehicle. The knowledge that I have received from my local Viper tech (Eddie Martin-Bill Luke Dodge) has been fantastic, extremely valuable, and a huge time saver. I know many of you have received help from Tator as well and a lot of this information is handed down free of charge. For a little perspective, every minute I take out of Eddie or Tator’s day asking questions is time they could be spending working on a vehicle making money. Sometimes, the charge is going to roll down hill. I get a free minute of conversation for every few hours of work charged out at standard dealership service rates. So, in the end, the people that pay the dealer for service allow many of us to share in the knowledge of the amazing support staff that the Viper Nation has.

That being said, I think the original quote to start this thread may be excessive, but what is the intrinsic value passed down through paying the dealership rate? Apparently the service advisor at the dealership has had many dealings with local owners and the local Club free of charge. So, the value you receive for the money may be worth it. Again, the original recommendations may not all need to be done ASAP. They are after all recommendations. There is nothing binding you to that dealership, those prices, or that service advisor.

Next point. Some people enjoy working on their own vehicles (me included) and find some kind of twisted joy in performing their own repairs and/or modifications. This can be a huge money saver. I know I can do a Viper oil change for $50-$70. The only caveat is that it takes time out of my personal schedule. The benefits however are numerous. I can follow through on the “little things” that creep up, if I need emergency repairs I don’t have to wait around to have my car repaired, I can control the quality and cost of the repairs, etc. As an ASE Certified mechanic I can do all of my own work and I choose to do so. I also happen to have a great facility and numerous revolving wholesale parts accounts. When I buy a used car, I do a complete inspection and change ALL the fluids regardless of age so I can “start fresh” as I have no idea what the previous owner did or didn’t do.

It all boils down to consumer choice. Do the work yourself or send it to an Outside Vendor. There are costs associated with each but you have to decide what’s best for you.

Let the flames begin…

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i've bought 3 cars from my dealer this year and in return he does a great job....when i need work done he picks up the car/suv at my house and leaves a free loaner...then he delivers the car back and mails a bill at the end of the month...i usually take the viper in myself though

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob,

I'm glad that you have a great working relationship with this dealership, every viper owner should be that lucky. My opinion is that most viper owners don't care to pay the so called 'viper tax'. You, on the other hand, don't seem to have an issue with it. That's fine. It's clear that you don't like getting your hands dirty...but for some of your viper brethren, it's a great sense of pride and accomplishment to do these things ourselves. I'll admit that I'm a redneck and you'll know where I'm coming from if you've ever heard the lyrics to the Hank Williams, Jr song...A Country Boy Can Survive. I'm sure that this dealership loves having you as a customer and goes out of their way to please you...they probably would like to have 1,000 just like you.

Actually, I used to enjoy wrenching, etc. when I was younger. I built my first go cart at age 11. The next one, more powerful and sophisticated, at age 13. First muscle car in 1964. As a kid, I worked as a mechanic for a number of summers. The issue is not the work because I still tinker a little. It is having a back stop if something goes wrong. If the young man who initially posted here had not done so and, instead, had just picked up the phone and spoken to Mark, I think that his initial post would not have occurred. By the way, they would not want another 1000 like me. I am a fanatical perfectionist. Just ask Mark. LOL.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I will interject here that some VCA Regions have been VERY EFFECTIVE at "encouraging" local "Viper friendly", competent dealers to work with our members in establishing a "VCA" discount on fluid changes. Obviously, the prices vary from generation to generation of Viper because of the specific fluids needed. Some places discount the fluids, some discount the labor, and some do a little of both.
In the past couple of years, we have mailed FULL fluid change price schedules to each and every member for their consideration ( 2 such lists just last year from 2 different dealers).

This program was developed through the efforts Regional Officers and has been very helpful in getting a great value for our members while helping to insure that the Vipers receive proper service.

Some of us change our own fluids on a regular basis...and we APPRECIATE the VCA discount that we receive from the dealers on the fluids and filters!!!

I am hoping to encourage constructive cooperation here between owners and maintenance providers here...seems so much better that plain old griping. :)

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i've bought 3 cars from my dealer this year and in return he does a great job....when i need work done he picks up the car/suv at my house and leaves a free loaner...then he delivers the car back and mails a bill at the end of the month...i usually take the viper in myself though

Do they charge you for the pickup usually? Is it by flatbed or driving the car to the dealership? Sounds like a pretty good deal if there is no charge. That is what I call service!

kennyhemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob Bob Bob Bob Bob Bob Bob!

C'mon now... Challenge me to show the support data?

You must be registered for see images

Wal Mart Mobil 1 10W30 5 QT Jugs...

Auto Zone Mobil 1 Filter...

Dealer Diff Fluid...

Dealer Tranny Fluid...

Fluid disposal - FREE at Auto Zone!

GRAND TOTAL $184.58

Dave! I couldn't help noticing the fireant killer and tortilla on your Walmart receipt. Is there something we need to know!!:rolleyes:

XXX BLK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do they charge you for the pickup usually? Is it by flatbed or driving the car to the dealership? Sounds like a pretty good deal if there is no charge. That is what I call service!

I like the NEW DodgeViper01 :2tu:

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave! I couldn't help noticing the fireant killer and tortilla on your Walmart receipt. Is there something we need to know!!:rolleyes:

I think he uses the tortilla's to bait the ants to the other side of his garage while he does the oil change. Then keeps "killer in a can" handy when they are bored with the sacrificial tortilla...

Fire Ants... Thats why he changes the fluids so fast... :headbang: