2.5" exhaust vs 3" exhaust

MarkWilliams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the opportunity to hear an 05 SRT with 3" Random Tech Hi-Flows and the 3" Corsa Track Exhaust installed and love the sound.

My 04 already has a 2-1/2" Corsa Catback installed on it. If I add 2-1/2" Random Tech Hi-Flows to it can I expect similar results as the 3" system?

Is there any performance loss with a 2-1/2" setup as opposed to a 3"?

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock, you pprobably wouldn't notice any difference. But if you want to add NOS or a S/C, you'll need to go bigger to get the full benefits(power).

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have been told that the Corsa connection can be modified to be 3" at the conneciton with some cutting so you wont need a new system, just modify the one you have

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The mufflers on the corsa system is the same whether its the 2.5 or the 3. Thats what i was told from Corsa. The 3" system would be used if you were going with Hi-flow cats.

I let Corsa use my car last week to mock up there new exhaust that they will be selling for the vipers. I can't show any pics as of yet but the ends look Great and the movement of the pipes are very minimal, I was very happy went I went to pick the car up.:drive:

Tranzow

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 3" high flow with corsa. Eliminates all heat problems, but wish it was loader. I like that it has no drone effect.

Thums Up

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Of course anytime you add larger diameter pipe you will allow for more air to flow. This will increase your horsepower. However, the trade off will be less torque. 2.5" pipe will increase torque but will choke the horsepower. The question is, which direction do you want to go?

I prefere torque over horse power, but that's another topic.

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few months ago I got the DLM SC installed with the DLM exhaust system-Doug recommended the 2.5" for my set up. If I had the belanger headers put in that would be a different matter.

Very pleased with the exhaust system. I took the secondary cats out. loud but I like the sound.

Thums Up is right - it depends on which direction one wants to go.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the opportunity to hear an 05 SRT with 3" Random Tech Hi-Flows and the 3" Corsa Track Exhaust installed and love the sound.

My 04 already has a 2-1/2" Corsa Catback installed on it. If I add 2-1/2" Random Tech Hi-Flows to it can I expect similar results as the 3" system?

Is there any performance loss with a 2-1/2" setup as opposed to a 3"?

In the interest of saving you money I would but a set of RT 3" cats with metal substrate core. These 3" RT Cats are a stock item where the 2-1/2" need to be made up custom by RT. I would then buy 2 - WALKER 41974 EXHAUST PIPE REDUCERS, 3" ID X 2-1/2" OD, and install them between the 3" RT cats and the 21/2" Corsa exhaust system. This way you can add a 3" exhaust system in the future if you go with a turbo or a blower.
Robbie

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 3" high flow with corsa. Eliminates all heat problems, but wish it was loader. I like that it has no drone effect.

Have same setup BUT with added B&B stepped headers, LOUD and VERY BEASTLY sounding!!! (no drone) We love the setup (high-flow cats as well). ~juli~

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The mufflers on the corsa system is the same whether its the 2.5 or the 3. Thats what i was told from Corsa. The 3" system would be used if you were going with Hi-flow cats.
I let Corsa use my car last week to mock up there new exhaust that they will be selling for the vipers. I can't show any pics as of yet but the ends look Great and the movement of the pipes are very minimal, I was very happy went I went to pick the car up.:drive:

That's great that they will have system that doesn't have to be 'tacked', ours are, and we've had absolutely no problems with the tips burning anything, the tips are flush with the sill openings....can't wait til you can show us the 'new' Corsa!!! Good for you for working with the Corsa people. ~juli~

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I should be able to post here real soon.

I will say the ends come out about 1/2 in, looks perfect better than flush if you ask me.
my last system was flush.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I should be able to post here real soon.
I will say the ends come out about 1/2 in, looks perfect better than flush if you ask me.
my last system was flush.

Glad you'll be able to post pics soon!! :2tu: To each their own, right? :cool: We much prefer the flush look, than the pipes sticking out...the pipes do not even move. Look forward to seeing your pics, AND the new Corsa system. ~juli~

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4