2 check engine codes

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Top one is probably a cracked/broken line to either the evap pump(behind fascia) or on top of the fuel cell. Not sure on the second one, probably a mod done by the previous owner to eliminate the skip shift or the connector (near transmission) is disconnected.

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the odd thing is there was no check engine light until a few days ago, and now 2 at the same time? I have had this car for almost 2 years so I am guessing the skip shift problem is a new problem and not from a previous mod. (All I have done since the beginning is aftermarket catback)

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ya thats what my friend said too, so I went and checked and the cap was not fully clicked. About 20 min before it threw the code I filled it with gas. I hope that solves the 1 problem.

The skip shift is an odd one. My wife recently told me when she starts out in 1st it seems to "rabbit hop" a lot. I blamed her poor driving, but maybe she is right. I have no idea what skip shift it, but maybe somewhat related.

If it is just the skip shift code am I safe to drive it until i get around to fixing it?

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are under 15 mph and try to shift the transmission makes you go to fourth gear, the skip shift bypasses that BS and let's you go into second gear and so forth.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The P1719 is an info code only and does not illuminate the MIL.
That has probably been there since before you got the car. Somebody unplugged the solenoid to disable the stupid skip shift feature.
The light came on for the P0455, probably the gas cap not tight
P0455 is large leak code, so probably is not the cracked hose deal that a lot of Chrysler products eventually have.
The hose crack problem gives you a check light with small leak codes first (P0442). -then gets progressively worse.
P0455 can also be the result of recent work on the car ( somebody inadvertently bumping an EVAP line and damaging or disconnecting it.)

loose gas cap is the most common reason for P0455 with no other related codes though. -check that first.

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Regarding the skip shift code: I had installed a skip shift eliminator (cheap stuff, basically you unplug the cable from the solenoid and cover the open connectors with a matching plug) which has not illuminated MIL ever since. Also, when I routinely connected my ODBII reader, it never showed any codes. However, the skip shift indicator light behaves like before (which is normal, I guess).

So, I am also wondering, why this code is showing up??

BTW: Mine is a '98 RT/10

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Today at work I read the viper repair manual, and read everything about skip shift. It mentioned everything that it takes to engage the skip shift, but did no explaining as to why it is there in the first place. Can anyone explain why they would intentionally not let you go into 2nd gear, but instead into 4th....I am dumbfounded.

I have no clue now if my skipshift is actually eliminated....when I am driving for good mileage (nice and easy) and it is sometimes difficult to go into 2nd (sometimes won't shift into 2nd, or I accidentally grind it), and knowing this I automatically shift into 3rd instead. Also, I believe the white arrow that illuminates on the cluster (to the right of the steering wheel) has to do with skip shift as well, and every once in a while mine illuminates.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fuel Economy. The Viper has enough torque to roll off the line and go to 4th at low revs and this helps with the Fuel economy figures.

If the Arrow is lit up on the dash, you should not be able to select 2nd or 3rd. A quick blip on the accelerator pedal will remove the arrow and then you can change to 2nd or 3rd.

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SKIP-SHIFT-...pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

would this bad boy be good enough for a skip shift? I assume even if i have a skip shift eliminator that throws the code, it must be faulty because 2nd gear is a pain in the ass at low speeds, etc so I had might as well replace it...

That looks like the one I have (bought it also on Ebay but at even lower costs if I remember correctly). As far as I know, the skip shift indicator light will illuminate with or without a skip shift eliminator installed. The "only" difference is, that you actually can shift into 2nd or 3rd ALTHOUGH the light in the cluster is coming up having the eliminator installed.

So, I'd say if you cannot shift into 2nd or 3rd when the arrow lights up, you don't have an eliminator installed (or it refuses to work correctly).

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That looks like the one I have (bought it also on Ebay but at even lower costs if I remember correctly). As far as I know, the skip shift indicator light will illuminate with or without a skip shift eliminator installed. The "only" difference is, that you actually can shift into 2nd or 3rd ALTHOUGH the light in the cluster is coming up having the eliminator installed.

So, I'd say if you cannot shift into 2nd or 3rd when the arrow lights up, you don't have an eliminator installed (or it refuses to work correctly).

What he said ^^^^^^^^^^

AJ02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the PCMs on these cars, but I had another car (2002 Vette) that had the same annoying skip shift. I took it to a local performance shop and the guy put his laptop on it and programmed it out. After that, not even the light would come on. I almost never have a problem with it as I usually have my foot in it far enough to where it doesn't come into play. :drive:

scottmarston

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just disconnected the skip shift solenoid on my '95. The indicator still comes on but I can shift to what ever gear I want. I didn't get a CEL code for unplugging it. Not sure if you can just unplug it on the later models without getting an error code.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala