2 Questions regarding larger diameter wheels

Red94Roadster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a 94 RT/10 with the OEM 17" wheels and just purchased new Pilot Sports in April. Shortly thereafter, I came across a great deal on some used gen 3 10 spoke wheels/tires, so I bought them with the intention of selling for a quick profit. When I saw them next to my car, I considered keeping them but decided to try and sell since I just spent the $$ on new rubber for the 17's. Well, I've been lazy about selling them this summer, so I put them on last night and think I love em :D Now, I'm considering keeping the 10-spokes, getting new tires for them, and selling the 17" tires I just bought.

Here are the two questions:
1. I've got 3.55 gears with the speedo calibration kit installed. How do I recalibrate the speedo for the incresed tire diameter?
2. What can I expect to get for a set of used Michelin Pilot Sports with approx 2,000 miles on them?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ebay is your best bet to research tire prices unless someone makes you an offer here.

Also, I remember reading that the speedo recal units are fixed to a gear ratio. You may be able to get a combined gear & tire recal unit. In other words, not the 3.55 but maybe a 3.73 will be closer given the 3.55 gears and taller tire.

You'll need to do a little math it sounds.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The speedo re-cal box is electronic, you can make small adjustments to get the MPH close. Talk to whoever you got the box from.

Parisianviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Also, I remember reading that the speedo recal units are fixed to a gear ratio. You may be able to get a combined gear & tire recal unit. In other words, not the 3.55 but maybe a 3.73 will be closer given the 3.55 gears and taller tire.

You'll need to do a little math it sounds.

It's actually the opposite, it will be closer to 3.40 with taller tire.
I think the Unitrax box has switches that allow you to change the calculation ratio.
You should try to contact them.
www.gounitrax.com

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960