2000 Water Pump Problems

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lately my car has been running hot and I was getting no heat out of the vents. For a long time if I kept the rpm's up on the highway, the needle on my temp gauge would start to climb as well. Yesterday was so hot outside and the car finally overheated, putting the needle at 250. What I found out is that somehow some of the bad water pumps of the earlier years made it onto the shelves at DC and were used in some late 2000's and early 2001's. I don't think it was many cars, only 60 or so. Well my car was made Nov of 2000 and I was one of the lucky ones! I pulled off the water pump (which was no easy task, since I have my SC and all the bracketry sitting in front of it) and found that while holding the pulley, I can spin the impeller easily. I can also see two cracks on the impeller. So basically at very light loads the pump would pump some water, but the minute the rpm's climbed, it would slip. It's a good thing that since I did all that work to get the pump out that it was the problem, but a shi**y thing that a car with 8000 miles on it needs a new water pump. I want to give a huge thanks to Chuck Tator who took time out of his Saturday to talk with me, locate a pump and get the ball rolling on getting me the new one. Every time I have ever dealt with Chuck, I have had nothing but great experiences.

OP
OP
M

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Putting my finger on it right away is priceless. No on likes to do a bunch of work only to still have the same problem. Now I want to get it back on the road and run the hell out of it.