2002 ACR Shocks...

Viper ACR Lover 02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sure that this question has come up but I am not too sure where I would find the answer, so I would appreciate someone's help or pointing me in the right direction...

I have an '02 GTS ACR and the Dynamic shocks at all four corners are leaking. My questions are 1) Does anyone rebuild these, what might the price be for a rebuild, and what's the turn-around time? 2) Is there an alternate shock that I would be able to put in place of the Dynamics without having to change the springs and other hardware; If yes, what is the potential price on these as well?

I don't expect anyone to do work for me but I am at a loss of where to start and how to go about this. I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but the ACR Dynamic shocks are very problematic. Almost every Dynamic supplied ACR I have had in has had problems with leaks and the rebuild cost is about $500+ per shock.

I put these on a shock dyno when they first came out and the rebound dampening is very poor and the rear shocks are over sprung. When not leaking and properly adjusted they work OK.

The most reliable adjustable shock out there is the KW shock, its great for street or track. If you want the best tuneability and valving for the track then go with the Moton or Penskes, but expect to send them out for a refresh every few years.

We carry all three types, feel free to call or visit our website.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Top seal is worn out or dried up. Typically needs a few hours on each damper to disassemble, clean them, new oil and charge them and replace the canister cap. Contact Alan O'Leary at Carl Haas. Several ACR owners have had Haas rebuild them and will surely reply with more info. Typical rebuild cost was $350 ea.

Carl Haas Automobile Imports, Inc

Last edited:

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but the ACR Dynamic shocks are very problematic. Almost every Dynamic supplied ACR I have had in has had problems with leaks and the rebuild cost is about $500+ per shock.

I put these on a shock dyno when they first came out and the rebound dampening is very poor and the rear shocks are over sprung. When not leaking and properly adjusted they work OK.

The most reliable adjustable shock out there is the KW shock, its great for street or track. If you want the best tune ability and valving for the track then go with the Moton or Penskes, but expect to send them out for a refresh every few years.

We carry all three types, feel free to call or visit our website.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It's going back 10 years ago or so.. a typical example of how OEMs dictate ride and handling characteristics intentionally. There's been times hearing from the OEM, we want it to ride stiff, it's the style of the car to ride harsh, we don't want a plush suspension, it has to feel like a brute, it goes on.. then there's competitive supplier costs... cut.. cut.. cut.. In the end, you get what you pay for..... yet it doesn't represent what the supplier capabilites are.........

It's the basic reason why there's aftermarket opportunities for many parts on a car.... good luck with sales.

Cheers,
Mike

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am sure that this question has come up but I am not too sure where I would find the answer, so I would appreciate someone's help or pointing me in the right direction...

I have an '02 GTS ACR and the Dynamic shocks at all four corners are leaking. My questions are 1) Does anyone rebuild these, what might the price be for a rebuild, and what's the turn-around time? 2) Is there an alternate shock that I would be able to put in place of the Dynamics without having to change the springs and other hardware;.......... If yes, what is the potential price on these as well?

I don't expect anyone to do work for me but I am at a loss of where to start and how to go about this. I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks.

like Mike says Haas will rebuild them for about $350 a shock... a decent investment. I have referred several owners to them with good results.

Technically, vendors are no longer supposed to put prices here in the general forums, even if members ask .........but you can expect to pay from $3300 up to $5000 for various aftermarket adjustable shock systems, as those Dan was mentioning. The KW kit is preassembled including springs and shock forks..... the other brands require you to purchase springs separately, and assemble.

Last edited:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JonB has recommended in the past that if you have the original OEM provided 1100 pound springs on the rear, you will get a better ride and a safer ride with a less stiff 800 pound spring. Contact him about that. I liked the improvement that I got with those, as I recall, although it has been 3+ years. I remember at the time that I thought that it was worth it after I changed them. (I do my own work, so, no labor costs to factor into the "worth it" equation.

I would guess that if you send the shocks in for rebuild, you should tell them about any spring changes that you have or will do.

VPR RACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had the shocks on my ACR changed to Penske's, so far the ride feels less harsh than stock.