2002 Exhaust Questions

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After talking with some people and doing some looking at cars this past week, I am very confused and I got some ideas I need to explore. :)

Questions:

1 - Do the gen 2 cars have a header or an exhaust manifold? I ask as I thought I had a header on my car but then I hear that I can buy headers for my car that will give more power. So, what is factory? :dunno:

2 - High flow cats - What is involved with the change, what is the best brand, and for those that have had their cars E tested, is there any issues with passing?

3 - I have a cat back system in my car currently. Would I need to change everything if I went to headers and high flows, or...:confused:

4 - If I change the above, do I require 02 simulators or anything to allow the computer to still function correctly?

5 - Yes I did a search but some of this info seems to be different for 00/01/02's versus the earlier GTS's.

Thanks!

Robert

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
robert, here's what i know (at least think i know - mine's an '02 also),

After talking with some people and doing some looking at cars this past week, I am very confused and I got some ideas I need to explore. :)

Questions:

1 - Do the gen 2 cars have a header or an exhaust manifold? I ask as I thought I had a header on my car but then I hear that I can buy headers for my car that will give more power. So, what is factory? :dunno:

yes header, short tube headers, but headers none the less, aftermarket headers squeeze power thru better airflow design. i remember that the cost per hp in late gen 2's is high, but sound improvement is good. manifold dumps from the exhaust port into a common tube (manifold)

2 - High flow cats - What is involved with the change, what is the best brand, and for those that have had their cars E tested, is there any issues with passing?

sean roe has some that are bolt on for someone like you - i did mine - as a factory cat replacement. don't know 1st hand about the e-test, we just obd11 test, but have heard others pass w/ sean's or rt's from JonB... their's are good brands, i prefer metal substrate. recently there was a thread about some e-bay cats, but scary if sniffer tesed

3 - I have a cat back system in my car currently. Would I need to change everything if I went to headers and high flows, or...:confused:

if you go w/ headers, sean's non bolt ups or rt's from JonB are fine as you will be welding or custom fabing clamp joints just from the collectors to you cat back

4 - If I change the above, do I require 02 simulators or anything to allow the computer to still function correctly?

pretty sure just install to current catback and will be fine if it is fine now......:eater:

5 - Yes I did a search but some of this info seems to be different for 00/01/02's versus the earlier GTS's.

the factory headers changed, not sure what yr. but the power benefit of aftermarket headers was greater w/ the earlier gen 2's

Thanks!

Robert

can't believe you still run factory cats :omg:

i also welcome any clarification where needed re: this

peace

Last edited:

james11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would just get rid of the cats. On my 02, I got rid of the cats and installed a 3" exhaust. I have the 02 sims to prevent the CEL. Heard they were needed in the newer gen 2s. Never tried my car without them. From what I have heard, the 00-02 headers are not that bad as they are tubular. They still don't flow nearly as much as some aftermarket ones. I have seen a few crappy sets of aftermarket ones though.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You just spent a week with some of the most knowledgable owners, and with several various systems! Questions lead to questions....call me?

ie your car DOES have a OE shorty-tube header, smaller primaries, but not a PERFORMANCE header.
Name-Brand-cats must pass US Emissions for 5 years. RandomTech give a written warrantee even to Canada....KNOW what you are buying. If you do it right, you wont need "SIMS" unless catless.....Call for more.....

OP
OP
M

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, spend a week with nice sounding exhausts all around you, ask alot of questions, those answers lead to more questions once the mind digests them.....;)

A call may be in order. ;)

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dump the cats altogether. Install O2 sims. Install Belangers. Enjoy the new sound and power!!!

As for emissions compatability, it depends on what tests they run. Here in AZ it's simply an OBDII test. All they do is plug in to the computer and check for codes. If no codes come up, you pay them $27.75 and they send you on your way. (What a racket!!!) As emissions vary from State to State (Province to Province?) it's hard to say what would work from afar.

Check out the classifieds for pictures of stock vs. aftermarket:

Stock:
Gen II OEM shorty headers - ViperClub Classifieds

Aftermarket:
Balanger 1 3/4" headers, good condition - ViperClub Classifieds

Hopes this helps a little...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc