2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10 - Intake Valve Issue

gtsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frank...I would too know! The ABS light will be on, the AC will blow hot air and there is a mark on the right front fender where it rolled into a DeLorean due to a faulty parking brake! Quit your whining...at least you have a car.
Maybe I should have taken the reject we gave Jerry.

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
someone asked me about the content of the letter - here is the email I receved. Prompt and professional, IMO:

DaimlerChrysler Corporation has identified some 2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10s with engine intake valves that missed a secondary machining operation. Your 2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10 has been identified as one of these vehicles.

This condition may cause a loss of approximately 25 horsepower and 40 lb.-ft. of torque. We want to stress the fact that this condition in no way affects the safety, emissions, durability or reliability of your vehicle.

As part of our commitment to you, our Customer Assistance Center has contracted with a company called Impartial Services Group (ISG) to assist you in making the arrangements to schedule your vehicle at your local Viper Certified Dealer to have the intake valves replaced in your vehicle. New parts, with the correct specification, are already in process. As soon as they are available, ISG will be contacting you for an appointment. We expect the parts to be ready within the next month. In addition, you are entitled to the following:

The dealer will pick up your vehicle from your house and deliver it back to you after the service is done.
You will be offered a loaner vehicle and a complimentary fuel fill-up when your vehicle is in for service.
You will also receive a complimentary $300.00 MOPAR Certificate for your inconvenience. The Certificate can be redeemed at a Dealership of your choice.
In the event that you decide not to have the service performed on your vehicle, you will still be entitled to the $300.00 MOPAR Certificate for the inconvenience.

We know how much you enjoy driving your vehicle, and with summer knocking at your door, you will be able to choose the time that works best for you within the next year (thru 04/30/04). The service should take no more than a few days. Exact timing will depend on the individual dealership.

In the meantime, we encourage you to continue driving and enjoying your 2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at: 1-800-992-1997.

Our Viper owners are the most loyal, enthusiastic owners in the industry. We regret this has happened, and we will make sure that your vehicle is serviced as quickly as possible, in a manner that is the most convenient for you. Your satisfaction is our primary concern.

Sincerely,

DaimlerChrysler Corporation

Dead President

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I called the recall center and my SRT-10, VIN # 668 was not included in the intake valve recall. My car says that it was built 02-03. It went into D1 status on January 6, hit E Status on February 6 and finally KZ Status on February 14. I think I need a trip to the dyno to make sure.

gtsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Jerry but I'll pass. I really do appreciate the offer. No, really I do. (This is the second time I rejected your car you know!)
***** P told me my car went to JS status today...shipped to storage. Never heard about that status for a Viper before! I guess Estes and Ferguson are making good on their promise to see that my SRT is the last 03 delivered. Hope Bill has me on his list for a white 04!

OP
OP
Joseph Houss

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Please NOTE: If you do feel inclined to call the 800 number, please make sure you don't pick the "recall" option when requested to select from the menu. This is NOT a recall, you must select "5", as this gets you to the staff that HAS the list.

Remember:

1-800-992-1997 and make sure you pick option 5 (not option 2).

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks Joe, as this may be the answer as to why some of our customers that we feel are affected, were being told that they were not on the list of cars
with the concern.

Did anyone tell you , you izz doin a fine job as da new Prez? Well, if not, I jest did ---- way to go, Joe!

Reaction score
PVO is setting a Great example of how to respond to a problem. Simple be proactive and honest. "FIVE STARS" to PVO/DC

Called the 800# as my SRT was delivered March 4th. The CS buy tried to help but he said they did not have the list of VIN's involved? Said they were still working on the notification process which was expected to be completed in a couple weeks.

This is a program that should be handled by JRT's team not a central CS staff.

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Joe Houss;

Can you tell us the VIN'S of the SRT-10's that most likely have this problem? Can you have D/C post a list of those VIN's here for reference?

My Silver SRT #332 was delivered in January.

Joe, what's happening with the "SMARTGLASS" issue that we have discussed? Does D/C have a "fix" or TSB on this yet?

Thanks,

Jim Wallace :usa:

Y2KACR

VCA Member
Reaction score
I called the "help" number to inquire about the intake valves on my 03 SRT-10. After navigating a maze of menus, transfers and being on hold for over 10 minutes a very helpful guy told me my VIN is not on the list of 234 affected vehicles. He was very careful to describe only that that VIN is not on the list he had in front of him. He couldn't answer the question if the car has the correctly machined valves. I don't have a sense of confidence that the car is unaffected, only that it was not on his list... I'm not sure what to make of that...the optimist in me was happy, while the pessimist is waiting to say "I told you so."

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim, what is the "smartglass" issue all about? Also, where can we see a list of all TSB's?

OP
OP
Joseph Houss

Joseph Houss

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Jim,

Smartglass issue is "adjustable" at the dealership. Please contact them.

Y2KACR,

If the gent on the phone had the list (which he should), and if he said you're not on the list..... then your valves are AOK. I have been assured by PVO that each and every "valve issue" SRT has been clearly identified... there's no gray area.

Reaction score
Joe, I called twice. first, to the number you supplied and went thru the "menu". Service Rep did not know of valve issue, but said I was not on any recall list.I felt uncomfortable as Jim did. Then I saw your later post with instructions to select "5" and called again. This Rep said he could not tell me, and that if I was on the list I would be notified by mail in early May. Lastly, I called Mr. Pemberton who informed me My car WAS on the list!!! Allan, SRT577.

Reaction score
Well, I guess the folks at DC were watching this Board: my "Letter" just arrived in the mail., #557 is the "winner" of a $300.00 Mopar Certificate. All I have to do is let somebody I don't know, take the top end of the motor, in my $84,000 car with 300miles on it, apart.Or, accept the fact that the 500/500/500 is really 475/460 500!! Not a good situation.

OP
OP
Joseph Houss

Joseph Houss

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hang in there guys! PVO has been trying REAL hard to manage this with professionalism and courtesy. The 800 number reps are obviously not getting the message.

I understand that the letters have gone out and looking at the post above, have obviously been received by some. A few more days should clear up any doubt in your minds as to your status.

Joe, I called twice. first, to the number you supplied and went thru the "menu". Service Rep did not know of valve issue, but said I was not on any recall list.I felt uncomfortable as Jim did. Then I saw your later post with instructions to select "5" and called again. This Rep said he could not tell me, and that if I was on the list I would be notified by mail in early May. Lastly, I called Mr. Pemberton who informed me My car WAS on the list!!! Allan, SRT577.

Milksnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We had a difficult time ascertaining if our SRT/10 was part of the repair/recall group. Last week I emailed D/C and did not get a response. Yesterday, I called the 800 and was told that "No, my car was not part of the recall." I asked to speak to someone else, because I did not not feel confident with his answer. I was then transfered to someone in the Viper divisions and was told, YES, MY CAR WAS IN THE REPAIR GROUP." I then proceed to question, "Why did I not get a phone call? Why was my dealer not notifiided, and lots of other why's?" She was polite, but could not offer an answer. Our number is 756 with a Feb. built. WE RECEIVED THE LETTER IN THE MAIL TODAY!.

Thank you Viperclulb for alerting us.

Honestly, will this repair have any effect on the value of the car?

Again, thanks for the information.

Milksnake

2003 SRT/10
1997 GTS
1979 930 Turbo
(and assorted milk trucks) : :usa: :

OP
OP
Joseph Houss

Joseph Houss

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Honestly, will this repair have any effect on the value of the car?

In my humble opinion, with the repair being complete, and with a copy of your work order in your file to confirm that your car has "post valve issue" valves installed, AND with the $300 worth of Viper goodies .........

Your SRT should be worth:

at least $300 more than any non-valve issue Snake!!!! :laugh:

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car 817 has been moved to "JS" which from my understanding is completed, but moved to storage!

I guess the Valve issue has not been resolved at the factory and DC is simply moving the affected cars there into storage!

It appears I won't be getting my car as soon as I would have with out the valve issue and I won't be getting the 300$ certificate.:(
This is very frustrating!

2charmed

Milksnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Joseph for the words of wisdom!

I, actually, am glad I am part of the repair/recall, since driving the car (after the break-in period), it did not feel as fast or powerful as my 97 GTS.

Milksnake

---------
2003 SRT/10
97 GTS
1979 930 Turbo
(and assorted milk trucks)

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
8AVette when did you take delv of your car, im guessing early (jan-feb)? mine is #323 and im guessing yours is even before mine and i picked mine up on jan 14th. You actually got a letter? I am guessing i will getting on of these letters!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No. I received my letter today. My car was built 1/16 and silver cars were on line after my group of red. Saw black in the storage area also when I picked it up Feb 20. So it would appear that all colors were included.

For me if I will pick up 25 more ponies and 40 more tire shredding lb ft of torque it will definitely be worth it.

gtsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm still curious if I can find out whether an undelivered car had the "adjustment" made prior to delivery.

2charmed...don't be too depressed about the JS status. My SRT went JS on 4/7 and then KZ on the same day. The car was delivered to Woodhouse on 4/11. Despite Tony and Steve's best efforts, I will not have the last 03...next to last maybe but not the last. Neener neener neener! ;) Now if Pemberton can keep a truck running long enough to deliver the [******] thing...

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car 817 has been moved to "JS" which from my understanding is completed, but moved to storage!

I guess the Valve issue has not been resolved at the factory and DC is simply moving the affected cars there into storage!

2charmed

I would think that any car coming down the line recently that was subject to the intake valve issue would be given "I-status." Mine (#87x) was, for several weeks. It was just cleared to "JS" and that almost always means that it is 100% ready to go and simply waiting on a delivery truck.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Based on other SRTs recently delivered, that had been stuck in "storage" or "quarantine", paperwork found in the cars indicate that cars were all inspected and repaired if necessary.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FWIW, we just got our letter from D-C today as well. I wonder if they'll let us get the heads ported while they're off the car? I'd take that in place of the $300 MOPAR certificate :laugh:

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car (817) actually went to KZ this morning. So it should be delivered to the
Chuck Tator some time this week I would think?

2Charmed

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kodiakleather