2003 Hydra-Loc Differential

john2456

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this has been topic here before,but asking advice from owners here. I may buy 2003 with 15,000 miles but want to replace Diff because my friends exploded at low mileage at 50 MPH and rear wheel locked up. Was considering rebuilt GenIV rear end from DC Performance because good price at 950.00 and heard much stronger than Gen3 diff. Yes I considered Quaife and OS Giken but pricey and require mods to diff caes or shafts. My use will only be as street car,no drag or track time. Thanks, John:)

Alteredego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My diff in the '05 broke the first time I took it to the Strip.
This was the first time I reaced it and started out as just a place to put in a SCT tune and give it some wide open time.
The very first run I heard a loud pop. The second run I was taking it easy off the line so I started off in second with a dead Idle launch, that run was a 11.03 @ 123 then I started hearing pops when I turned off the track. I drove it home and got it apart to find one of the main caps broke in half and a total of 12 teeth were gone off the spiders. These diffs are kinda weak and I have heard that the Gen 4s are stronger. I know where mine went south. The first run i launched in First gear and had really bad wheel hop. This will KILL your diff. I bought a new center section and have been driving it since. Get the Gen 4 center and you should be good. While you have it out put some 3.73 in if your NA you'll love it.

Reaction score
If you do buy the Gen4 diff make sure you put the gear in it you want to live with because chances are it will never come apart afterwords.

fqberful

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a GenIII diff built for my 06 coupe by Unitrax with a Quaife in it. Best thing I ever did. I am NA so I had 3.55's put in there, also a great move. The car handles so much better now and 6th gear is even usable.

--FQB

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go with the Gen4 from Dan at DC. Good guy to work with. I got mine from him and yes they are much stronger. I'd get the gear I wanted as stated. Spend the money now and don't look back.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I know this has been topic here before,but asking advice from owners here. I may buy 2003 with 15,000 miles but want to replace Diff because my friends exploded at low mileage at 50 MPH and rear wheel locked up. Was considering rebuilt GenIV rear end from DC Performance because good price at 950.00 and heard much stronger than Gen3 diff. Yes I considered Quaife and OS Giken but pricey and require mods to diff caes or shafts. My use will only be as street car,no drag or track time. Thanks, John:)

There is a simultaneous thread about the crummy Hydra-Lock for Gen3, and 2003 was the WORST. A SEARCH might have found it here:
http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-srt10-coupe-discussions/642907-05-sr10-rear-end-problems-help.html

Do the Diff, but DO THE GEAR SWAP TOO

OP
OP
J

john2456

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Guys, Thank you for really good advice. I feel better now about buying my first Viper. Sold my Factory Five Cobra with a 347 stroker last year and miss it. It had 375 HP but only weighed 2100 pounds so it was a scary little rocket. It had no heat,no AC, no windows,or airbags,only Simpson race harness. Had a live 4-link axle. More of a beast than a Viper I think. Thanks to all John:):)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dont simply scrap the diff at 15K miles becasue a few blow up when dragged. You might go 50k trouble-free miles! But if you plan to drag or track, it wont last too long, and the G4+355 is THE BEST

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont simply scrap the diff at 15K miles becasue a few blow up when dragged. You might go 50k trouble-free miles! But if you plan to drag or track, it wont last too long, and the G4+355 is THE BEST

What would a Gen4 diff with 3.55's cost?

I've got 20K miles on my 03, and a few track excursions a year & not a peep from my rear (the cars rear that is), but ... now that I said that my next milk run the back-end will probably drop out on the ground.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte